Re: NiMh voltage?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by J. Clarke, Oct 22, 2013.

  1. J. Clarke

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 15:26:00 +0100, bugbear wrote:
    >
    > > I have a (old) Canon A630 camera.
    > >
    > > I can get very few shots/use out of a freshly charged set of NiMh AA
    > > batteries, and yet when I put them in a halogen bulb torch, the torch
    > > will run for hours.
    > >
    > > I assume it's related to voltage, not Ah capacity.
    > >
    > > Do brands/models of NiMh battery vary in voltage,
    > > and (if so) can anyone recommend a high(er) voltage type?
    > >
    > > BugBear

    > Had the same issue with my wife's old Nikon P&S. Never could reconcile it
    > - but we finally gave up and tried Lithium (non-rechargeable) batties and
    > they lasted a LONG time. Convenience vs cost.

    Be careful with Lithium. There are 1.5v AA batteries with lithium and
    there are others that are 3.7 volt. Make sure you're getting the right
    kind.
    J. Clarke, Oct 22, 2013

  2. J. Clarke

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, J. Clarke
    <> wrote:

    > > Had the same issue with my wife's old Nikon P&S. Never could reconcile it
    > > - but we finally gave up and tried Lithium (non-rechargeable) batties and
    > > they lasted a LONG time. Convenience vs cost.

    > Be careful with Lithium. There are 1.5v AA batteries with lithium and
    > there are others that are 3.7 volt. Make sure you're getting the right
    > kind.

    consumer lithium aa batteries are not rechargeable and 1.6v. there is
    no risk.

    rechargeable lithium ion batteries are a different chemistry and 3.7v.
    they are intentionally a different size so that you *can't* screw it
    up, and they also come in a custom size pack, requiring a custom
    charger.

    there are aa sized lithium ion aa size cells (if you know where to find
    them, and it's not walmart), but they're slightly shorter and won't do
    anything in a device designed for standard aa batteries. they're
    usually sold with tabs to solder into a battery pack.
    nospam, Oct 22, 2013

  3. J. Clarke

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/22/2013 5:56 PM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <>, J. Clarke
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Had the same issue with my wife's old Nikon P&S. Never could reconcile it
    >>> - but we finally gave up and tried Lithium (non-rechargeable) batties and
    >>> they lasted a LONG time. Convenience vs cost.

    >> Be careful with Lithium. There are 1.5v AA batteries with lithium and
    >> there are others that are 3.7 volt. Make sure you're getting the right
    >> kind.

    > consumer lithium aa batteries are not rechargeable and 1.6v. there is
    > no risk.
    >
    > rechargeable lithium ion batteries are a different chemistry and 3.7v.
    > they are intentionally a different size so that you *can't* screw it
    > up, and they also come in a custom size pack, requiring a custom
    > charger.
    >
    > there are aa sized lithium ion aa size cells (if you know where to find
    > them, and it's not walmart), but they're slightly shorter and won't do
    > anything in a device designed for standard aa batteries. they're
    > usually sold with tabs to solder into a battery pack.

    Yup!

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Oct 23, 2013