Re: NiMh voltage?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by J. Clarke, Oct 22, 2013.

  1. J. Clarke

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>,
    bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim says...

    > I have a (old) Canon A630 camera.
    >
    > I can get very few shots/use out of a freshly charged set of
    > NiMh AA batteries, and yet when I put them in a halogen
    > bulb torch, the torch will run for hours.
    >
    > I assume it's related to voltage, not Ah capacity.
    >
    > Do brands/models of NiMh battery vary in voltage,
    > and (if so) can anyone recommend a high(er) voltage type?

    This is a known problem with the Powershot A630. If you google "A630
    NIMH" you'll find numerous reports of the behavior you describe.

    The only discussion I could find that actually reported a solution was
    this one:

    <http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?219028-I-think-I-
    fried-my-Canon-Powershot-A630-**FIXED-thanks-Nitroz!!!**>

    In summary, the solution was to clean all the contacts in the battery
    compartment with a new pencil eraser. If that doesn't work try some
    super fine sandpaper (the kind you get at an auto parts store).
    J. Clarke, Oct 22, 2013

  2. J. Clarke

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Thursday, 24 October 2013 11:12:03 UTC+1, bugbear wrote:
    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,

    > > This is a known problem with the Powershot A630. If you google "A630

    > > NIMH" you'll find numerous reports of the behavior you describe.

    > > The only discussion I could find that actually reported a solution was

    > > this one:

    > > <http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?219028-I-think-I-

    > > fried-my-Canon-Powershot-A630-**FIXED-thanks-Nitroz!!!**>

    > > In summary, the solution was to clean all the contacts in the battery

    > > compartment with a new pencil eraser. If that doesn't work try some

    > > super fine sandpaper (the kind you get at an auto parts store).

    > I'll try that. Since I have the CHDK software, which can report voltage
    >
    > to 4 sig figs, I will also do a before/after comparison.

    You may be barking up the wrong tree there, measuring voltage to such a degree is pretty pointless. As, if an LED or display attempts to turn on then that requires a particular current from the batteries if the charge or rather the amount of energy in the battery is too little then lighting that LEDwill lower the voltage of the battery perhaps significantly enough that the voltage has fallen to below minium for the rest of the circuit to function within designed specs.

    Whisky-dave, Oct 24, 2013

  3. J. Clarke

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 24/10/2013 11:31, Whisky-dave wrote:
    > On Thursday, 24 October 2013 11:12:03 UTC+1, bugbear wrote:
    >> J. Clarke wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <>,

    >>> This is a known problem with the Powershot A630. If you google "A630

    >>> NIMH" you'll find numerous reports of the behavior you describe.

    >>> The only discussion I could find that actually reported a solution was

    >>> this one:

    >>> <http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?219028-I-think-I-

    >>> fried-my-Canon-Powershot-A630-**FIXED-thanks-Nitroz!!!**>
    >>> In summary, the solution was to clean all the contacts in the battery
    >>> compartment with a new pencil eraser. If that doesn't work try some
    >>> super fine sandpaper (the kind you get at an auto parts store).

    >> I'll try that. Since I have the CHDK software, which can report voltage
    >>
    >> to 4 sig figs, I will also do a before/after comparison.

    Unless they are visibly tarnished it won't make a blind bit of
    difference. What you are seeing is an exaggerated version of the
    discharge capacity curve because NiMH starts from a lower voltage and
    the on load cutoff for the A630 is set a bit on the high side.

    > You may be barking up the wrong tree there, measuring voltage to such a degree is pretty pointless. As, if an LED or display attempts to turn on then that requires a particular current from the batteries if the charge or rather the amount of energy in the battery is too little then lighting that LED will lower the voltage of the battery perhaps significantly enough that the voltage has fallen to below minium for the rest of the circuit to function within designed specs.

    The things that draw serious current are realtime display, running in
    video mode and charging xenon flash in increasing order of current draw
    (usually). Not sure how bad LED flash recharges are.

    I have had my Canon Ixus 100S shutdown on me from overheating when doing
    sustained video with it and that is with Li-ion cells. Convinced me that
    I needed to get a proper digital video camera. Bye bye Hi8.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Oct 24, 2013
  4. ? "Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> ?????? ??? ??????
    > On 24/10/2013 11:31, Whisky-dave wrote:

    >>> I'll try that. Since I have the CHDK software, which can report voltage
    >>>
    >>> to 4 sig figs, I will also do a before/after comparison.

    > Unless they are visibly tarnished it won't make a blind bit of difference.
    > What you are seeing is an exaggerated version of the discharge capacity
    > curve because NiMH starts from a lower voltage and the on load cutoff for
    > the A630 is set a bit on the high side.
    >
    >> You may be barking up the wrong tree there, measuring voltage to such a
    >> degree is pretty pointless. As, if an LED or display attempts to turn on
    >> then that requires a particular current from the batteries if the charge
    >> or rather the amount of energy in the battery is too little then lighting
    >> that LED will lower the voltage of the battery perhaps significantly
    >> enough that the voltage has fallen to below minium for the rest of the
    >> circuit to function within designed specs.

    > The things that draw serious current are realtime display, running in
    > video mode and charging xenon flash in increasing order of current draw
    > (usually). Not sure how bad LED flash recharges are.
    >
    > I have had my Canon Ixus 100S shutdown on me from overheating when doing
    > sustained video with it and that is with Li-ion cells. Convinced me that I
    > needed to get a proper digital video camera. Bye bye Hi8.

    agreed. I have the Sony DCR-SX15, cost I think 180 euros and works with an
    SD card. With a 4 GB one you can record up to an hour, continuously, with
    the stock battery. It's SD, though. It is very light and compact, goes
    without saying. It also takes sony's proprietary memory sticks, too. comes
    with simple editing software, it lets me make NTSC dvds for my canadian
    aunt.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitris
    hordad AT otenet DOT gr