Re: NiMh voltage?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hactar, Oct 22, 2013.

  1. Hactar

    Hactar Guest

    In article <>,
    bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    > I have a (old) Canon A630 camera.
    >
    > I can get very few shots/use out of a freshly charged set of
    > NiMh AA batteries, and yet when I put them in a halogen
    > bulb torch, the torch will run for hours.

    Incandescent bulbs are more tolerant of lower voltages than are
    electronics.

    > I assume it's related to voltage, not Ah capacity.

    Nominal alkaline or C-Zn batteries make 1.5v, nominal NiMH batteries make
    1.2v. My previous labelmaker took 5 AAs, probably on the assumption that
    the user would install NiMH batteries (correct in my case). Presumably
    with alk/C-Zn you could short out one slot and it'd work fine.
    (5*1.2v = 6v = 4*1.5v)

    Maybe the camera's threshold for "he's dead, Jim" is at such a level that
    would indicate a really dead alk/C-Zn, but only a slightly used NiMH.

    > Do brands/models of NiMh battery vary in voltage,

    Not much. The chemistry determines the voltage.

    > and (if so) can anyone recommend a high(er) voltage type?

    You can get one with a lower internal resistance. It'll droop less under
    current drain. No, I don't know different brands' characteristics.

    --
    -eben royalty.mine.nu:81
    LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
    Hactar, Oct 22, 2013

  2. Hactar

    AnthonyL Guest

    On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 15:57:38 -0400, (Hactar)
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    >> I have a (old) Canon A630 camera.
    >>
    >> I can get very few shots/use out of a freshly charged set of
    >> NiMh AA batteries, and yet when I put them in a halogen
    >> bulb torch, the torch will run for hours.

    >Incandescent bulbs are more tolerant of lower voltages than are
    >electronics.
    >
    >> I assume it's related to voltage, not Ah capacity.

    >Nominal alkaline or C-Zn batteries make 1.5v, nominal NiMH batteries make
    >1.2v. My previous labelmaker took 5 AAs, probably on the assumption that
    >the user would install NiMH batteries (correct in my case). Presumably
    >with alk/C-Zn you could short out one slot and it'd work fine.
    >(5*1.2v = 6v = 4*1.5v)
    >
    >Maybe the camera's threshold for "he's dead, Jim" is at such a level that
    >would indicate a really dead alk/C-Zn, but only a slightly used NiMH.
    >
    >> Do brands/models of NiMh battery vary in voltage,

    >Not much. The chemistry determines the voltage.
    >
    >> and (if so) can anyone recommend a high(er) voltage type?

    >You can get one with a lower internal resistance. It'll droop less under
    >current drain. No, I don't know different brands' characteristics.

    The internal resistance issue is the explanation I was given when my
    camera refused to work and I was on the point of throwing it out. I
    kept buying higher rating Energiser rechargeables only for them to
    fail to get the camera working. Sanyo Eneloops were then recommended
    because of their low internal resistance and the camera has worked
    perfectly for the past 3 years. I now rarely use anything else.

    --
    AnthonyL
    AnthonyL, Oct 23, 2013