Re: NiMh voltage?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Oct 22, 2013.

  1. ? "bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> ?????? ??? ??????
    >I have a (old) Canon A630 camera.
    >
    > I can get very few shots/use out of a freshly charged set of
    > NiMh AA batteries, and yet when I put them in a halogen
    > bulb torch, the torch will run for hours.
    >
    > I assume it's related to voltage, not Ah capacity.
    >
    > Do brands/models of NiMh battery vary in voltage,
    > and (if so) can anyone recommend a high(er) voltage type?

    It would help if you could measure the voltage with a cheap multimeter (you
    can get one for 7 euros) and see when the camera rejects batteries if
    voltage is lower than nominal. And, yes, of course NiMh batteries have a
    lower nominal voltage than alkalines. And how old is the set of batteries
    you have? They're supposed to last for 1000 charge/discharge cycles, but in
    reality have a shorter life. For instance, my camera had this problem, but I
    bought generic li-ion batteries from aboutbatteries.com, and they last for
    months and hundreds of photos now. (the camera takes proprietary li-ion
    batteries, goes without saying). The last to suspect would be the camera,
    whose battery voltage sense circuitry might have gone haywire (or some older
    cameras had an adjustment for alkaline or rechargeable batteries).

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitris
    hordad AT otenet DOT gr
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Oct 22, 2013