Re: NiMH battery charger?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jim Polaski, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. Jim Polaski

    Jim Polaski Guest

    In article <rnd0b.283$>,
    "Pike" <> wrote:

    > I bought a "GP" nimh-nicad charger about 2 years ago and have gone through
    > 3 sets of NiMH aa cells in that time. They only seem to last about 50-100
    > recharges and then get hot and take far too long to load up. Does anyone
    > know if there are inferior designs in chargers or do you have to handle
    > these cells like glass? Does anyone know if there are more recent "smart
    > chargers" that massage more life out of these batteries? It's hard to
    > believe the manufacturers claim that they are good for thousands of cycles.
    > Thanks in advance for any light shed.

    You might try www.batteriesamerica.com as they have NiMH charger where
    it will charge all sorts of packs in addition to taking various size
    holders for AA's. I charge 10 at a time since my son has an RC car and
    uses 24 on a race day, one set to use and a backup. The Charger seems to
    do the 10 in a few hours and has a temp sensor.

    I also buy batteries from them in bulk. I have hard time with 4, 2000
    NiMh cells for $4.95 when everybody else is at much higher prices. BA
    has 2100's for $3.50 in ones and they discount for bulk. Great guys to
    buy from as I met the owners at a hobby show in Rosemont, Il last
    September. They weren't supposed to sell at the show, but I walked out
    with a set of 4 and they lasted longer than anything I had from Olympus
    and Rayovac.

    --
    Regards,
    JP

    Macintosh for productivity. Linux for servers. Palm/Visor for mobility. Windows to feed the Black Hole in your IT budget

    Jim Polaski, Aug 19, 2003

  2. Jim Polaski <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > You might try www.batteriesamerica.com as they have NiMH charger where
    > it will charge all sorts of packs in addition to taking various size
    > holders for AA's. I charge 10 at a time since my son has an RC car and
    > uses 24 on a race day, one set to use and a backup. The Charger seems to
    > do the 10 in a few hours and has a temp sensor.

    They are reselling the Maha chargers under a different name,
    and at a higher price. You're better off buying from Thomas
    Distributing which also sells battery holders for various
    cells, for a lot less (but you have to put connectors on
    if you want them).

    Steven Scharf, Aug 28, 2003

  3. Jim Polaski

    Jack Mac Guest

    On 28 Aug 2003 14:30:53 -0700, (Steven Scharf) wrote:

    >Jim Polaski <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >> You might try www.batteriesamerica.com as they have NiMH charger where
    >> it will charge all sorts of packs in addition to taking various size
    >> holders for AA's. I charge 10 at a time since my son has an RC car and
    >> uses 24 on a race day, one set to use and a backup. The Charger seems to
    >> do the 10 in a few hours and has a temp sensor.

    >They are reselling the Maha chargers under a different name,
    >and at a higher price. You're better off buying from Thomas
    >Distributing which also sells battery holders for various
    >cells, for a lot less (but you have to put connectors on
    >if you want them).

    Get the Maha MH-C204F charger kit. Comes with 8 AA 2200mAh batteries
    and a car charger... $49.95..
    http://ham.mahaenergy.com

    Jack Mac

    Jack Mac, Aug 29, 2003
  4. Jim Polaski

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <TwJ3b.276$>,
    "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote:

    > You have very little choice in "smart" NiMH chargers for >8 cells
    > at a time.

    The Ansmann Energy 16 is a very smart charger for any AC current
    worldwide. It charges up to 12 AA or AAA on N cells or up to 6 C or D
    cells or any combination of the above + up to 4 9V cells. The Energy 8
    does the same but up to 6 AA or AAA or N cells and up to 2 C or D cells
    + up to 2 9V cells. Both units also have a built-in battery tester for
    N, AA, AAA, C, D and 9V cells.

    So there are more choices available.l

    --
    HP Marketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Aug 29, 2003
  5. "Bob Salomon" <> wrote in message
    > In article <TwJ3b.276$>,
    > "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote:
    >
    > > You have very little choice in "smart" NiMH chargers for >8 cells
    > > at a time.

    > The Ansmann Energy 16 is a very smart charger for any AC current
    > worldwide. It charges up to 12 AA or AAA on N cells or up to 6 C or D
    > cells or any combination of the above + up to 4 9V cells. The Energy 8
    > does the same but up to 6 AA or AAA or N cells and up to 2 C or D cells
    > + up to 2 9V cells. Both units also have a built-in battery tester for
    > N, AA, AAA, C, D and 9V cells.
    >
    > So there are more choices available.l

    The Ansmann is not sold in the U.S., but yes it does look like a good
    choice except for the fact that it's not set up to charge external packs
    of batteries like the Maha.

    Steven M. Scharf, Sep 2, 2003
  6. Jim Polaski

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <2M25b.5770$>,
    "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote:

    > "Bob Salomon" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <TwJ3b.276$>,
    > > "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > You have very little choice in "smart" NiMH chargers for >8 cells
    > > > at a time.

    > > The Ansmann Energy 16 is a very smart charger for any AC current
    > > worldwide. It charges up to 12 AA or AAA on N cells or up to 6 C or D
    > > cells or any combination of the above + up to 4 9V cells. The Energy 8
    > > does the same but up to 6 AA or AAA or N cells and up to 2 C or D cells
    > > + up to 2 9V cells. Both units also have a built-in battery tester for
    > > N, AA, AAA, C, D and 9V cells.
    > >
    > > So there are more choices available.l

    > The Ansmann is not sold in the U.S., but yes it does look like a good
    > choice except for the fact that it's not set up to charge external packs
    > of batteries like the Maha.

    Of course it is sold in the U.S. it is available from camera stores. And
    Ansmann does have chargers for external NiMh or NiCd packs running 4 to
    10 cells at 500 to 5000 mAh. That is the ACS 410 charger.

    --
    HP Marketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Sep 2, 2003
  7. Jim Polaski

    Jack Mac Guest

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:35:31 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
    <> wrote:

    >"Jack Mac" <> wrote in message
    >> On 28 Aug 2003 14:30:53 -0700, (Steven Scharf) wrote:
    >>
    >> >Jim Polaski <> wrote in message

    >> >They are reselling the Maha chargers under a different name,
    >> >and at a higher price. You're better off buying from Thomas
    >> >Distributing which also sells battery holders for various
    >> >cells, for a lot less (but you have to put connectors on
    >> >if you want them).

    >> Get the Maha MH-C204F charger kit. Comes with 8 AA 2200mAh batteries
    >> and a car charger... $49.95..
    >> http://ham.mahaenergy.com

    >That's fine for four batteries at a time. But for RC cars, and many
    >other applications you need to charge a pack of ten-twelve cells.
    >You have very little choice in "smart" NiMH chargers for >8 cells
    >at a time. The Maha C777 is $50 and will do 11 cells (13.2 volts),
    >the C777 Plus is $83 and will do 12 cells (14.4V) and also does
    >Li-Ion packs.
    >
    >In many cases you want to charge the entire pack, in the device,
    >without removing individual cells, or you want to charge something
    >other than AA cells.
    >
    >It's less of an issue for digital cameras since they usually don't use
    >more than four cells at a time, and of course since all the higher
    >end cameras are using Li-Ion packs.

    Sorry, I thought this was the rec.photo.digital newsgroup!
    Certainly not the proper place for RC car questions.
    Off topic here!

    Jack Mac

    Jack Mac, Sep 3, 2003