Re: Nikon Teleconverters

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by me, Dec 20, 2012.

  1. me

    me Guest

    On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 16:59:13 +1300, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >I remember a discussion of the relative merits of each of these some
    >time ago. Unfortunately I didn't pay pay much attention and have since
    >deleted the thread.
    >
    >I seem to recall that the 1.4 times was judged not too bad and so to
    >was the 1.7. However the 2 times was regarded held to visibly degrade
    >the image for pixel peepers. Am I correct.
    >
    >I am considering using one on my 70-200 f/2.8 zoom. Does anyone here
    >have any experience with any of these?

    I've used the TC-20E-II and 1st gen 70-200mm f/2.8 VR initially on a
    D70 followed by a D200. Subsequently acquired a 1st gen 200-400mm f/4
    VR followed by a D300 and then TC-14E-II. I shoot the D200/D300 mostly
    daily. Can't really say I've seen any degradation due to the 1.4x
    with either lens. There is some with the 2x. Though since getting the
    big lens I rarely use the 2x behind the 70-200.

    Also the 1.4 slows the AF some on both the D200 and D300. The 2x
    noticeably slows the AF on either body with the 70-200 (combined f/5.6
    max). With the 200--400 and 2x (combined f/8 max) both bodies
    struggle, though the D300 has a substantially better chance of
    focusing.

    Even with VR remember faster shutter speeds are your friend.
    me, Dec 20, 2012

  2. me

    Peter Guest

    On 12/20/2012 6:06 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 15:46:16 -0500, me <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 16:59:13 +1300, Eric Stevens
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I remember a discussion of the relative merits of each of these some
    >>> time ago. Unfortunately I didn't pay pay much attention and have since
    >>> deleted the thread.
    >>>
    >>> I seem to recall that the 1.4 times was judged not too bad and so to
    >>> was the 1.7. However the 2 times was regarded held to visibly degrade
    >>> the image for pixel peepers. Am I correct.
    >>>
    >>> I am considering using one on my 70-200 f/2.8 zoom. Does anyone here
    >>> have any experience with any of these?

    >> I've used the TC-20E-II and 1st gen 70-200mm f/2.8 VR initially on a
    >> D70 followed by a D200. Subsequently acquired a 1st gen 200-400mm f/4
    >> VR followed by a D300 and then TC-14E-II. I shoot the D200/D300 mostly
    >> daily. Can't really say I've seen any degradation due to the 1.4x
    >> with either lens. There is some with the 2x. Though since getting the
    >> big lens I rarely use the 2x behind the 70-200.
    >>
    >> Also the 1.4 slows the AF some on both the D200 and D300. The 2x
    >> noticeably slows the AF on either body with the 70-200 (combined f/5.6
    >> max). With the 200--400 and 2x (combined f/8 max) both bodies
    >> struggle, though the D300 has a substantially better chance of
    >> focusing.
    >>
    >> Even with VR remember faster shutter speeds are your friend.

    > Definitely with my shaky hands.

    Yup! No substitute for high shutter speed.
    this was taken, hanbd held, from a canoe:

    <https://www.dropbox.com/s/pll7ouvzfg0en92/_DSC4242.jpg>

    --
    PeterN
    Peter, Dec 29, 2012

  3. me

    Peter Guest

    On 12/28/2012 8:35 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-12-28 17:19:20 -0800, Peter <> said:
    >
    > <<< Le Snip >>>
    >
    >> Yup! No substitute for high shutter speed.
    >> this was taken, hanbd held, from a canoe:
    >>
    >> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/pll7ouvzfg0en92/_DSC4242.jpg>

    > Nice!
    >
    > I hope your canoe guide wasn't a guy from Minnesota, who only used
    > "Super-Zooms", wore a bandana on his head, was an expert at IDing moths,
    > and has been wonderfully absent from the Usenet.

    Thanks

    <G>

    --
    PeterN
    Peter, Dec 29, 2012
  4. me

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 17:35:27 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : On 2012-12-28 17:19:20 -0800, Peter <> said:
    :
    : <<< Le Snip >>>
    :
    : > Yup! No substitute for high shutter speed.
    : > this was taken, hanbd held, from a canoe:
    : >
    : > <https://www.dropbox.com/s/pll7ouvzfg0en92/_DSC4242.jpg>
    :
    : Nice!
    :
    : I hope your canoe guide wasn't a guy from Minnesota, who only used
    : "Super-Zooms", wore a bandana on his head, was an expert at IDing
    : moths, and has been wonderfully absent from the Usenet.

    You're obviously referring to our former Resident Troll, Superzooms S. Win.
    I've always assumed that Supy's absence was due to his being accepted as a
    guest of his state's Department of Mental Health. And the recent appearance on
    the scene of another obvious nutcase, who lashes out at every ethnic group
    whose name he can spell, has had me wondering if Supy, in another guise, is
    with us once again.

    How do know Supy wore a red bandana? Did he ever show us his picture?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Dec 30, 2012