Re: Nikon Sues Sigma Over Lens Stabilization Patent - Photography Bay

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nospam, May 27, 2011.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bruce
    <> wrote:

    > Many have asked why there hasn't been an updated version with improved
    > optics, latest generation VR and an AF-S Silent Wave motor. The
    > answer is that there won't be an update until Nikon has got rid of the
    > thousands of unsold copies of the original, and perhaps not even then.

    no, the answer is that other lenses have a higher priority. thom hogan
    has said a replacement is coming at some point.
    nospam, May 27, 2011

  2. nospam

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/27/2011 11:34 AM, nospam wrote:
    > In article<>, Bruce
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Many have asked why there hasn't been an updated version with improved
    >> optics, latest generation VR and an AF-S Silent Wave motor. The
    >> answer is that there won't be an update until Nikon has got rid of the
    >> thousands of unsold copies of the original, and perhaps not even then.

    > no, the answer is that other lenses have a higher priority. thom hogan
    > has said a replacement is coming at some point.

    I have heard that for years. One issue is whether the new version would
    compete with the 200-400, even though that lens is for a slightly
    different market. Also, the new APO TC2 on the 70-200 VRII fills part of
    the bill.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, May 27, 2011

  3. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <4ddfc84a$0$12499$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > >> Many have asked why there hasn't been an updated version with improved
    > >> optics, latest generation VR and an AF-S Silent Wave motor. The
    > >> answer is that there won't be an update until Nikon has got rid of the
    > >> thousands of unsold copies of the original, and perhaps not even then.

    > > no, the answer is that other lenses have a higher priority. thom hogan
    > > has said a replacement is coming at some point.

    > I have heard that for years. One issue is whether the new version would
    > compete with the 200-400, even though that lens is for a slightly
    > different market. Also, the new APO TC2 on the 70-200 VRII fills part of
    > the bill.

    probably not. the 200-400 is a constant f/4 and expensive, while the
    80-400 is a variable f/4-5.6 and not as expensive (although a
    replacement will no doubt cost more).

    nikon also has an excellent 70-300vr that is an alternative to the
    aging 80-400. it has afs and a newer and better stabilization, but it
    doesn't reach 400, which was a little soft so it's not as big of a deal
    as it may seem.
    nospam, May 27, 2011
  4. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bruce
    <> wrote:

    > As for the 70-300mm VR, everyone I know who has one is delighted with
    > theirs.

    it's an excellent lens.

    > Mine must have been made on a Friday, or dropped in transit,
    > because it shows evidence of decentering and the results need more
    > sharpening than I am happy to use. I really ought to sell it, but I
    > am reluctant to inflict it on another unhappy owner.

    send it back to nikon for repair. that's what warranties are for.

    > Someone quoted Thom Hogan above, as if he still knew what was going on
    > at Nikon. Perhaps that used to be the case, but it isn't now. Thom's
    > predictions, entertaining though they may be, are now just educated
    > guesses.

    *all* predictions are educated guesses, by definition.

    thom tends to be fairly accurate in his predictions but nobody is
    perfect.

    > There are no 'Nikon insiders' any more. Due to a change in policy
    > following changes in key personnel, insiders haven't been 'kept
    > informed' for many months. Anyone with real knowledge of
    > soon-to-be-announced Nikon products (such as via testing them) is
    > prevented from speaking out via very strict non-disclosure agreements.
    > So we are *all* left guessing. ;-)

    stuff still leaks, even from nikon themselves, such as posting the
    specs of a lens on their own website for a brief time.
    nospam, May 27, 2011