    equivalent to a
    80mm lens 1.4f in 35mm terms?
    Thanks
    Graham Archer, Sep 27, 2004

  2. Graham Archer

    sid derra Guest

    "Graham Archer" <> wrote in message
    news:cj8cv3$r64$...
    > Hi, Please excuse my ignorance but digital SLR's and their lenses
    > are a new realm to me.
    > If I put a Nikon 50mm 1.4f standard lens on a Nikon D70, would that be
    > equivalent to a
    > 80mm lens 1.4f in 35mm terms?
    > Thanks

    since the crop factor is 1,5 - afaik - it should be 50 * 1,5 = 75mm

    rock on.
    sid derra, Sep 27, 2004

  3. Graham Archer

    Bruce Murphy Guest

    "Graham Archer" <> writes:

    > Hi, Please excuse my ignorance but digital SLR's and their lenses
    > are a new realm to me.
    > If I put a Nikon 50mm 1.4f standard lens on a Nikon D70, would that be
    > equivalent to a
    > 80mm lens 1.4f in 35mm terms?

    Only in terms of field of view (75, actually), not in terms of depth of field.
    Bruce Murphy, Sep 27, 2004
  4. Graham Archer

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Graham Archer <> wrote:

    > If I put a Nikon 50mm 1.4f standard lens on a Nikon D70, would that be
    > equivalent to a 80mm lens 1.4f in 35mm terms?

    75mm, actually. A 35mm lens becomes your "normal" lens.

    --
    Jeremy |
    Jeremy Nixon, Sep 27, 2004
  5. Graham Archer

    Larry Miller Guest

    "Bruce Murphy" <> wrote in message
    > "Graham Archer" <> writes:
    >
    >> Hi, Please excuse my ignorance but digital SLR's and their lenses
    >> are a new realm to me.
    >> If I put a Nikon 50mm 1.4f standard lens on a Nikon D70, would that be
    >> equivalent to a
    >> 80mm lens 1.4f in 35mm terms?

    > Only in terms of field of view (75, actually), not in terms of depth of
    > field.

    Or in terms of image magnification.
    Larry Miller, Sep 27, 2004
  6. Graham Archer

    Bhup Guest

    the 50mm still will be a 50mm but your angle of view( due to the size of
    the sensor being smaller that a full frame 35mm film by a factor of 1.5 is
    the norm) will be equivalent to 75mm on a 35mm Film system

    The Focal length of a lens never changes !!

    D70 standard lens is 35mm
    35mm film SLR standard lens is 50mm
    Bronica 645 standard lens is 75mm
    Hasslblad 6x6 standard lens is 80mm
    one thing they have in common is the angle of view is the same to cover the
    sensor and film.
    --
    All outgoing emails are scanned with Norton Antivirus 2003

    Bhup, Sep 27, 2004
  7. Graham Archer

    Bruce Murphy Guest

    "Larry Miller" <> writes:

    > "Bruce Murphy" <> wrote in message
    > > "Graham Archer" <> writes:
    > >
    > >> Hi, Please excuse my ignorance but digital SLR's and their lenses
    > >> are a new realm to me.
    > >> If I put a Nikon 50mm 1.4f standard lens on a Nikon D70, would that be
    > >> equivalent to a
    > >> 80mm lens 1.4f in 35mm terms?

    > > Only in terms of field of view (75, actually), not in terms of depth of
    > > field.

    > Or in terms of image magnification.

    Well, the image magnification is a lot like pixel size. It really
    depends on where you measure it. A 1:1 macro shot can be blown up as
    large as you want :)

    Bruce Murphy, Sep 28, 2004