Re: Nikon reveals D5200 SLR with D7000-taunting specs: 24MP sensor, 39-point AF, wireless port

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Polly the Parrott, Nov 7, 2012.

  1. On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 10:08:03 -0600,
    -spam.invalid (MummyChunk) wrote:

    >Discover new perspectives with the inspiring Nikon D5200

    DX sensor.

    Isn't FX the way to go?

    Polly the Parrott, Nov 7, 2012

  2. Polly the Parrott

    David Taylor Guest

    Re: Nikon reveals D5200 SLR with D7000-taunting specs: 24MP sensor,39-point AF, wireless port

    On 07/11/2012 19:33, Polly the Parrott wrote:
    []
    > DX sensor.
    >
    > Isn't FX the way to go?

    Only if you absolutely /must/ have the better image quality and better
    low-light performance, at the expense of larger, heavier and more costly
    kit. Your choice. Personally I think DX is the best overall compromise
    right now (between FX and 4/3).
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Nov 7, 2012

  3. Polly the Parrott

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/7/2012 3:16 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-11-07 11:33:02 -0800, Polly the Parrott
    > <> said:
    >
    >> On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 10:08:03 -0600,
    >> -spam.invalid (MummyChunk) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Discover new perspectives with the inspiring Nikon D5200

    >> DX sensor.
    >>
    >> Isn't FX the way to go?

    > Only for those who truly need it.

    Do any of us, who take images solely for fun, truly need any piece of
    photo equipment?

    Yes, we may want it, because we think it will make our hobby more
    enjoyable. But we do not need it.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Nov 7, 2012
  4. Polly the Parrott

    nick c Guest

    On 11/7/2012 1:26 PM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 11/7/2012 3:16 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >> On 2012-11-07 11:33:02 -0800, Polly the Parrott
    >> <> said:

    >>> DX sensor.
    >>>
    >>> Isn't FX the way to go?

    >> Only for those who truly need it.
    >>

    > Do any of us, who take images solely for fun, truly need any piece of
    > photo equipment?
    >
    > Yes, we may want it, because we think it will make our hobby more
    > enjoyable. But we do not need it.

    /Need/ is not often the primary requirement for reasoning that we should
    procure an object. However, /want/ often overrides /need/ and becomes
    the primary reason why we procure an object. We often want objects we
    can't afford and then rationalize for settling for less. But make no
    mistake, /want/ is a very important emotional procurement driver.

    nick c, Nov 7, 2012
  5. Polly the Parrott <> writes:

    > On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 10:08:03 -0600,
    > -spam.invalid (MummyChunk) wrote:
    >
    >>Discover new perspectives with the inspiring Nikon D5200

    > DX sensor.
    >
    > Isn't FX the way to go?

    Depends, a lot. For the vast majority of amateur photographers I think
    FX is not a good investment in price/performance. If your hobby funding
    is such that you don't have to consider price/performance much, that
    might be another thing. I'm also talking about somebody making the
    choice *now*, having no large existing investment in serious photo gear.

    (Professionals I'll leave out of it. If you're making a living or a
    significant chunk of it from your photos, you presumably know what you
    need better than I do....)

    I was sucked back over to FX by the Nikon D700, which gave me a
    stupendous boost in low-light peformance over my previous D200. Since a
    lot of what I do is event photos in low-light conditions (late-night
    music parties and jam sessions and such), that was irresistable to me.
    Being able to shoot casually at ISO 3200 was really a big deal for me
    (and using higher ISOs when really necessary). However, this ruined
    both the wide and the long part of my lens collection, and it cost me
    about $2000 to fix those with second-tier lenses. And then I found
    myself dissatisffied with my old 28-70/2.8 Tokina, and it cost me another
    $1600 to fix that. (Those numbers would be MUCH higher now.)

    For anything other than low light performance, I'd be better off still
    in DX or M43 (I've got an EPL-2 as my "small" camera). And would have
    considerably more money in my account (or else some other photo toys).

    But *today*, even for what I do, I can live without the very best
    low-light performance available (and that D4 is kinda expensive for a
    toy). Going into what *I* do from scratch today, an OM-D and some fast
    primes might give me as good pictures a lot cheaper.

    I'm not totally sold on it having the tracking AF for roller derby
    though, another thing I've taken up shooting along the way; I shoot
    nearly all of that at ISO 3200 or 6400, which is pushing the OM-D some.
    The D700 was a remarkable product, giving me the full high ISO
    capability of the D3 AND the full autofocus. It's a huge cut above the
    consumer products. Unfortunately it has no successor, and is now
    discontinued; hard to say what to buy these days for my requirements.
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 7, 2012
  6. Polly the Parrott

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/7/2012 4:46 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-11-07 13:26:44 -0800, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 11/7/2012 3:16 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    >>> Only for those who truly need it.
    >>>

    >> Do any of us, who take images solely for fun, truly need any piece of
    >> photo equipment?
    >>
    >> Yes, we may want it, because we think it will make our hobby more
    >> enjoyable. But we do not need it.

    > Exactly!
    > I lust for an FX DSLR, but I can't justify, or truly afford the cost,
    > and the cost of the lenses, when I have about $7K tied up in a D300S,
    > lenses, and other related stuff. Like you I am no pro, and if I have
    > some windfall I might consider a D800, but I know that my D300s is more
    > than adequate for my needs. I certainly don't need an FX camera, and I
    > can't see one appreciably improving my work appreciably, or providing
    > some dramatic paradigm shift to my capability as a photographer.
    >
    > ...but some day I would love to have one.

    I know what you mean.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Nov 7, 2012
  7. Polly the Parrott

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/7/2012 5:23 PM, nick c wrote:
    > On 11/7/2012 1:26 PM, PeterN wrote:
    >> On 11/7/2012 3:16 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    >>> Only for those who truly need it.
    >>>

    >> Do any of us, who take images solely for fun, truly need any piece of
    >> photo equipment?
    >>
    >> Yes, we may want it, because we think it will make our hobby more
    >> enjoyable. But we do not need it.
    >>

    > /Need/ is not often the primary requirement for reasoning that we should
    > procure an object. However, /want/ often overrides /need/ and becomes
    > the primary reason why we procure an object. We often want objects we
    > can't afford and then rationalize for settling for less. But make no
    > mistake, /want/ is a very important emotional procurement driver.

    Yep!
    Fulfilling a "want" has caused the downfall of many political careers,
    and probably millions of marriages.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Nov 7, 2012
  8. Polly the Parrott

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/8/2012 5:18 PM, Chemiker wrote:
    > On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 13:46:04 -0800, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> Do any of us, who take images solely for fun, truly need any piece of
    >>> photo equipment?
    >>>
    >>> Yes, we may want it, because we think it will make our hobby more
    >>> enjoyable. But we do not need it.

    >> Exactly!
    >> I lust for an FX DSLR, but I can't justify, or truly afford the cost,
    >> and the cost of the lenses, when I have about $7K tied up in a D300S,
    >> lenses, and other related stuff. Like you I am no pro, and if I have
    >> some windfall I might consider a D800, but I know that my D300s is more
    >> than adequate for my needs. I certainly don't need an FX camera, and I
    >> can't see one appreciably improving my work appreciably, or providing
    >> some dramatic paradigm shift to my capability as a photographer.
    >>
    >> ...but some day I would love to have one.

    > Amen. I lust for both a Citori 12 G and .308 Top-level tactical rifle.
    > But: I live with a Mossberg El Cheapo 12g pump, and a Ruger #1 sport
    > in 7mm Express, which I handload up to near 77Mag levels. Since I
    > don't hunt any more, what difference does it make? Purely the love of
    > ownership. Men and women enjoy the presence of well made exotic
    > things.

    Very true.
    A Trophy wife certainly contributed to the diminishment of Corel.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Nov 9, 2012
  9. Polly the Parrott

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 16:18:16 -0600, Chemiker
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 13:46:04 -0800, Savageduck
    ><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> Do any of us, who take images solely for fun, truly need any piece of
    >>> photo equipment?
    >>>
    >>> Yes, we may want it, because we think it will make our hobby more
    >>> enjoyable. But we do not need it.

    >>Exactly!
    >>I lust for an FX DSLR, but I can't justify, or truly afford the cost,
    >>and the cost of the lenses, when I have about $7K tied up in a D300S,
    >>lenses, and other related stuff. Like you I am no pro, and if I have
    >>some windfall I might consider a D800, but I know that my D300s is more
    >>than adequate for my needs. I certainly don't need an FX camera, and I
    >>can't see one appreciably improving my work appreciably, or providing
    >>some dramatic paradigm shift to my capability as a photographer.
    >>
    >>...but some day I would love to have one.

    >Amen. I lust for both a Citori 12 G and .308 Top-level tactical rifle.
    >But: I live with a Mossberg El Cheapo 12g pump, and a Ruger #1 sport
    >in 7mm Express, which I handload up to near 77Mag levels. Since I
    >don't hunt any more, what difference does it make? Purely the love of
    >ownership. Men and women enjoy the presence of well made exotic
    >things.

    I would prefer the presence of a well-made exotic woman, but my wife
    has some reservations about that.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 9, 2012
  10. Polly the Parrott

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 19:08:10 -0500, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 11/8/2012 5:18 PM, Chemiker wrote:
    >> On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 13:46:04 -0800, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> Exactly!
    >>> I lust for an FX DSLR, but I can't justify, or truly afford the cost,
    >>> and the cost of the lenses, when I have about $7K tied up in a D300S,
    >>> lenses, and other related stuff. Like you I am no pro, and if I have
    >>> some windfall I might consider a D800, but I know that my D300s is more
    >>> than adequate for my needs. I certainly don't need an FX camera, and I
    >>> can't see one appreciably improving my work appreciably, or providing
    >>> some dramatic paradigm shift to my capability as a photographer.
    >>>
    >>> ...but some day I would love to have one.

    >> Amen. I lust for both a Citori 12 G and .308 Top-level tactical rifle.
    >> But: I live with a Mossberg El Cheapo 12g pump, and a Ruger #1 sport
    >> in 7mm Express, which I handload up to near 77Mag levels. Since I
    >> don't hunt any more, what difference does it make? Purely the love of
    >> ownership. Men and women enjoy the presence of well made exotic
    >> things.
    >>

    >Very true.
    >A Trophy wife certainly contributed to the diminishment of Corel.

    I know a guy who has a trophy wife, but it's a Best in Show trophy.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 9, 2012
  11. Polly the Parrott

    nick c Guest

    On 11/8/2012 2:18 PM, Chemiker wrote:
    > On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 13:46:04 -0800, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> Do any of us, who take images solely for fun, truly need any piece of
    >>> photo equipment?
    >>>
    >>> Yes, we may want it, because we think it will make our hobby more
    >>> enjoyable. But we do not need it.

    >> Exactly!
    >> I lust for an FX DSLR, but I can't justify, or truly afford the cost,
    >> and the cost of the lenses, when I have about $7K tied up in a D300S,
    >> lenses, and other related stuff. Like you I am no pro, and if I have
    >> some windfall I might consider a D800, but I know that my D300s is more
    >> than adequate for my needs. I certainly don't need an FX camera, and I
    >> can't see one appreciably improving my work appreciably, or providing
    >> some dramatic paradigm shift to my capability as a photographer.
    >>
    >> ...but some day I would love to have one.

    > Amen. I lust for both a Citori 12 G and .308 Top-level tactical rifle.
    > But: I live with a Mossberg El Cheapo 12g pump, and a Ruger #1 sport
    > in 7mm Express, which I handload up to near 77Mag levels. Since I
    > don't hunt any more, what difference does it make? Purely the love of
    > ownership. Men and women enjoy the presence of well made exotic
    > things.
    >
    > A-

    I still have my Browning (Trap, Skeet, and Field) shotguns, all made in
    Belgium. As for the 7mm Mag., I have an old faithful Winchester Model 70
    which I love dearly. The 25-06 ballistics come close to the Model 70
    because of its higher pressure but I won't part with the Model 70 even
    though I don't hunt anymore. I too hand-loaded my ammo.

    Yes, I agree with you. It is as you say, purely the love of ownership.

    nick c, Nov 9, 2012
  12. Polly the Parrott

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 19:57:10 +0000, David Taylor
    <> wrote:
    : On 07/11/2012 19:33, Polly the Parrott wrote:
    : []
    : > DX sensor.
    : >
    : > Isn't FX the way to go?
    :
    : Only if you absolutely /must/ have the better image quality and better
    : low-light performance, at the expense of larger, heavier and more costly
    : kit. Your choice. Personally I think DX is the best overall compromise
    : right now (between FX and 4/3).

    I agree with your reasoning. But the recent spate of FF cameras suggests that
    APS-C lenses could eventually be orphaned. Caveat emptor.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Nov 9, 2012
  13. Polly the Parrott

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/8/2012 10:25 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 16:18:16 -0600, Chemiker
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 13:46:04 -0800, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> Exactly!
    >>> I lust for an FX DSLR, but I can't justify, or truly afford the cost,
    >>> and the cost of the lenses, when I have about $7K tied up in a D300S,
    >>> lenses, and other related stuff. Like you I am no pro, and if I have
    >>> some windfall I might consider a D800, but I know that my D300s is more
    >>> than adequate for my needs. I certainly don't need an FX camera, and I
    >>> can't see one appreciably improving my work appreciably, or providing
    >>> some dramatic paradigm shift to my capability as a photographer.
    >>>
    >>> ...but some day I would love to have one.

    >> Amen. I lust for both a Citori 12 G and .308 Top-level tactical rifle.
    >> But: I live with a Mossberg El Cheapo 12g pump, and a Ruger #1 sport
    >> in 7mm Express, which I handload up to near 77Mag levels. Since I
    >> don't hunt any more, what difference does it make? Purely the love of
    >> ownership. Men and women enjoy the presence of well made exotic
    >> things.

    > I would prefer the presence of a well-made exotic woman, but my wife
    > has some reservations about that.

    At my age I'll settle for the D800

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Nov 9, 2012
  14. Polly the Parrott

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/8/2012 10:54 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-11-08 19:26:42 -0800, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 19:08:10 -0500, PeterN
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Very true.
    >>> A Trophy wife certainly contributed to the diminishment of Corel.

    >> I know a guy who has a trophy wife, but it's a Best in Show trophy.

    > Was she a Schnauzer?

    Could also be feline.
    No pun intended.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Nov 9, 2012
  15. Polly the Parrott

    David Taylor Guest

    Re: Nikon reveals D5200 SLR with D7000-taunting specs: 24MP sensor,39-point AF, wireless port

    On 09/11/2012 13:31, Robert Coe wrote:
    []
    > I agree with your reasoning. But the recent spate of FF cameras suggests that
    > APS-C lenses could eventually be orphaned. Caveat emptor.
    >
    > Bob

    Nikon usually offer a mode where DX (APS-C) lenses can be used even on a
    full-frame body, so it's not a significant issue for Nikon. Perhaps a
    reason for selecting Nikon rather than another manufacturer, though.
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Nov 9, 2012
  16. Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 19:57:10 +0000, David Taylor
    ><> wrote:
    >: On 07/11/2012 19:33, Polly the Parrott wrote:
    >: []
    >: > DX sensor.
    >: >
    >: > Isn't FX the way to go?
    >:
    >: Only if you absolutely /must/ have the better image quality and better
    >: low-light performance, at the expense of larger, heavier and more costly
    >: kit. Your choice. Personally I think DX is the best overall compromise
    >: right now (between FX and 4/3).
    >
    >I agree with your reasoning. But the recent spate of FF cameras suggests that
    >APS-C lenses could eventually be orphaned. Caveat emptor.

    It could be that APS-C is eventually reserved for mirrorless CSCs.

    Sony and Fujifilm are currently working on full frame mirrorless
    designs that might eventually leave APS-C DSLRs in a backwater.

    Anthony Polson, Nov 10, 2012
  17. Polly the Parrott

    Robert Coe Guest

    : ><> wrote:
    : >: On 07/11/2012 19:33, Polly the Parrott wrote:
    : >: []
    : >: > DX sensor.
    : >: >
    : >: > Isn't FX the way to go?
    : >:
    : >: Only if you absolutely /must/ have the better image quality and better
    : >: low-light performance, at the expense of larger, heavier and more costly
    : >: kit. Your choice. Personally I think DX is the best overall compromise
    : >: right now (between FX and 4/3).
    : >
    : >I agree with your reasoning. But the recent spate of FF cameras suggests that
    : >APS-C lenses could eventually be orphaned. Caveat emptor.
    :
    :
    : It could be that APS-C is eventually reserved for mirrorless CSCs.
    :
    : Sony and Fujifilm are currently working on full frame mirrorless
    : designs that might eventually leave APS-C DSLRs in a backwater.

    Yeah, that's my concern. I see the Canon M as a hopeful sign for APS-C, but
    only if the M evolves into a product line that serious photographers will buy.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Nov 10, 2012
  18. Polly the Parrott

    Rob Guest

    On 8/11/2012 6:33 AM, Polly the Parrott wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 10:08:03 -0600,
    > -spam.invalid (MummyChunk) wrote:
    >
    >> Discover new perspectives with the inspiring Nikon D5200

    > DX sensor.
    >
    > Isn't FX the way to go?

    yep

    Rob, Nov 10, 2012
  19. Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 00:10:44 +0000, Anthony Polson <>
    >wrote:
    >: Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >: >On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 19:57:10 +0000, David Taylor
    >: ><> wrote:
    >: >: On 07/11/2012 19:33, Polly the Parrott wrote:
    >: >: []
    >: >: > DX sensor.
    >: >: >
    >: >: > Isn't FX the way to go?
    >: >:
    >: >: Only if you absolutely /must/ have the better image quality and better
    >: >: low-light performance, at the expense of larger, heavier and more costly
    >: >: kit. Your choice. Personally I think DX is the best overall compromise
    >: >: right now (between FX and 4/3).
    >: >
    >: >I agree with your reasoning. But the recent spate of FF cameras suggests that
    >: >APS-C lenses could eventually be orphaned. Caveat emptor.
    >:
    >:
    >: It could be that APS-C is eventually reserved for mirrorless CSCs.
    >:
    >: Sony and Fujifilm are currently working on full frame mirrorless
    >: designs that might eventually leave APS-C DSLRs in a backwater.
    >
    >Yeah, that's my concern. I see the Canon M as a hopeful sign for APS-C, but
    >only if the M evolves into a product line that serious photographers will buy.

    The jury is out on the Canon M. Canon will carefully watch the sales
    figures building up before committing to a mirrorless range with
    several bodies and multiple lenses.

    Anthony Polson, Nov 10, 2012
  20. Re: Nikon reveals D5200 SLR with D7000-taunting specs: 24MP sensor,39-point AF, wireless port

    PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 11/8/2012 10:54 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >> On 2012-11-08 19:26:42 -0800, tony cooper <> said:
    >>> On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 19:08:10 -0500, PeterN

    >>> I know a guy who has a trophy wife, but it's a Best in Show trophy.

    >> Was she a Schnauzer?

    > Could also be feline.
    > No pun intended.

    Was she called Bibble?