Re: Nikon 'Picture Controls' - help wanted

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Me, Nov 16, 2012.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    On 16/11/2012 5:06 p.m., Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    >> The greater part of my photography is done in RAW mode. Although my
    >> most commonly used software is Nikon (ViewNX and NX2) I have never
    >> used Picture Control so I can't confirm from my own experience whether
    >> Picture Control does or does not affect the formation of the RAW image
    >> in the camera. Is it correct that the RAW image is not affected?

    > The raw sensor data is not affected by Picture Controls.
    >
    > Note however that the preview image is affected, and
    > therefore the histograms available on the LCD screen are
    > affected. If the photographer uses those to set the
    > exposure for the next shot then there is an indirect
    > effect.

    Exactly - and it can be very significant if using "Vivid" or "Landscape"
    picture controls (or any other or custom setting with high contrast and
    saturation) when shooting in difficult light - and shooting in difficult
    "interesting" light is often very much what can make some landscape
    photographs great. "Pushing" shadows etc in pp landscape is also pretty
    normal, so if you lose a stop from under-exposing because of reading the
    histogram (or clipping blinkies in the image review) and thinking that
    you're blowing the shot when you really aren't, then that's a stop you
    can't recover from shadows when pp.
    Me, Nov 16, 2012