Re: Nikon D800; it's going to be fascinating

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tim Conway, Dec 26, 2011.

  1. Tim Conway

    Tim Conway Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > To see (if the rumours are right) which model sells more, the one with an
    > AA filter and the one without. If enough of the ones without sell, this
    > will be a radical change in cameras.

    Not to open a can of worms here, but isn't anti-aliasing a good thing? Even
    with a slight decrease in sharpness, I'd think it would be beneficial.

    Tim Conway, Dec 26, 2011

  2. "Tim Conway" <> wrote in message

    > "Rich" <> wrote in message
    >> To see (if the rumours are right) which model sells more, the one with
    >> an
    >> AA filter and the one without. If enough of the ones without sell,
    >> this
    >> will be a radical change in cameras.

    > Not to open a can of worms here, but isn't anti-aliasing a good thing?
    > Even with a slight decrease in sharpness, I'd think it would be
    > beneficial.

    Yes, of course it is, but:

    - if you use lenses with no significant response above the Nyquist
    frequency, then there's nothing for the AA filter to remove. I.e. with
    lenses which aren't the sharpest it doesn't matter. Put another way, if
    the camera is 36 MP but the lens only 18 MP, there may be no need for AA
    filtering.

    - optical AA filters are imperfect, so there is a design compromise
    between little filtering and some moiré, and too much filtering and loss
    of sharpness (i.e. loss of high spatial frequencies). Different folk will
    have different tastes and choose different degrees of AA filtering.

    - there are some folk who appear to be confused about sharpness, judging
    by phrases like "razor sharp" and the gross over-sharpening you see on
    some people's images. Perhaps they are still using CRT monitors which
    have become out-of-focus with age? <G>

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 26, 2011

  3. Tim Conway

    Bruce Guest

    "Tim Conway" <> wrote:
    > Not to open a can of worms here, but isn't anti-aliasing a good

    thing? Even
    > with a slight decrease in sharpness, I'd think it would be

    beneficial.

    The can of worms is now officially open. ;-)

    Bruce, Dec 26, 2011