Re: Nikon D80 Dark or Underexposed Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mr_aloof1@hotmail.com, Jan 3, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I know this is a bit odd, but I'm replying to my own posting. First, I want
    to thank everybody that responded. I got a lot of good responses. I had
    also sent some photo samples to Nikon's tech support. By the way, Nikon's
    tech support is top notch. The tech (David D) was very patient with me. We
    emailed back and forth several times, mostly me bitchin' about my
    underexposed photos. After I got my most recent response from David D at
    Nikon, I could understand completely what was going on.

    I'm thinking too much like a point and shooter. I need to be more
    photographically minded. He explained that the whole idea behind slightly
    underexposing photos is to guarantee that all the data and detail remain in
    those photos. If you want to edit those photos later with photo editing
    software, you can. However, if the photos come out of the camera
    overexposed, detail and data are lost, and no amount of editing can restore
    it. After his explanation, I understood that the D80 is a more
    sophisticated, higher end camera than the typical tourist digital camera,
    and why it does what it does in full auto mode. He suggested either editing
    my photos if I wanted them a little brighter, or switching to "P" (Program)
    mode, and compensating by adding a bit more exposure.

    Thanks to all who posted, and thanks to David D at Nikon's tech support.

    , Jan 3, 2008