Re: Nikon D5100 questions.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Aug 26, 2012.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:01:08 +1200, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 18:47:41 -0500, "Ric Trexell" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I posted this in the Nikon group but that ng is pretty dead, so I reposting
    >>it here.
    >>
    >>I recently bought a D5100 hoping to do some stock photography. I'm finding
    >>the Cd instruction book to be not all that helpful. I have a few questions.
    >>1. Can the display on the LCD viewer be made to last more than a few
    >>seconds? I seem to hunt for what I want and about the time I find it and
    >>start figuring what setting I want, the thing goes dark. 2. On manual,
    >>when I look in the viewfinder (not the LCD display) it goes from little
    >>numbers to bigger ones I think and says 'Lo" or something like that. I
    >>really don't know what I'm asking here because I have only seen it a few
    >>times and can't remember exactly. 3. I bought a set of umbrellas and
    >>strobes (Promaster) and I would like to know if I can use them with the 5100
    >>without blowing out the cameras electronics. Do I have to get one of those
    >>Wein converters or whatever they are called. I can just use the built in
    >>flash on the camera and the lights as slaves without any connection to the
    >>camera.

    >
    >See http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D5100/D5100FLASH.HTM for
    >more information about the D5100 flash capabilities.
    >
    >> 4. Do you know of a good site online to get info on the Nikon's? I
    >>have found www.imagining-resourse.com to be good. Also Ken Rockwells site
    >>somewhat. 5. Do you know of a good book for the 5100? My camera store has
    >>one and I noticed a lot of them on Amazon. I was just wondering if there is
    >>someone out there that has bought a few books and likes one best. Thanks
    >>for your help. Ric.


    Normally, I'd provide whatever help I could to a poster's question.
    When it's a person that purchases a camera to make money, adds
    expensive accessories, but doesn't know what he's seeing through the
    viewfinder, I just can't bring myself to take the questions seriously.

    Little numbers to big ones? LOL

    A good site to get information is the Manual that came with the camera
    or:

    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/reading-and-adjusting-the-exposure-meter-on-a-niko.html


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 26, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. tony cooper

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Ric
    Trexell <> wrote:

    > > A good site to get information is the Manual that came with the camera

    > ********************************************************************
    > Tony: I bought the camera used and what came with it was a manual in
    > Spanish, and a CD of the manual.


    you can download an english manual directly from nikon.

    > The manual doesn't cover everything,


    yes it does.

    > and
    > what it does cover I have questions that it doesn't even begin to answer.


    that may be true. it's more of a reference than a tutorial.

    there are books and web sites that explain what the various features
    are for and when to use them, etc.

    > Another thing I have a problem with is that the software that came with it
    > for that LVviewer or whatever it is called, doesn't allow me to save RAW
    > files.


    you don't need any software to save raw files. they come out of the
    camera that way.

    in any event, you don't need their software. get lightroom or whatever
    you prefer.

    > As the guy said at bythom.com, Nikon is not a software company and
    > they go out of their way to prove it.


    what it does, it does well, but it's very non-optimized so you need to
    be patient.

    > As for the expensive accessories, I
    > bought the umbrellas for my medium format camera, (Mamiya RB67 Pro S) not
    > this camera. They also work on my Minolta X-700's without any problem. The
    > Nikon digital prosumer camera that I bought doesn't have a PC connection for
    > studio work. Talk about advanced. Ric.


    the 5100 is a consumer camera. the higher end nikons have a pc cord
    socket. the lower end ones don't.

    in any event, a pc cord hotshoe adapter is $5.
    nospam, Aug 26, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 21:25:52 -0500, "Ric Trexell" <>
    wrote:

    >
    >"t> Normally, I'd provide whatever help I could to a poster's question.
    >> When it's a person that purchases a camera to make money, adds
    >> expensive accessories, but doesn't know what he's seeing through the
    >> viewfinder, I just can't bring myself to take the questions seriously.
    >>
    >> Little numbers to big ones? LOL
    >>
    >> A good site to get information is the Manual that came with the camera

    >********************************************************************
    >Tony: I bought the camera used and what came with it was a manual in
    >Spanish, and a CD of the manual. The manual doesn't cover everything, and
    >what it does cover I have questions that it doesn't even begin to answer.
    >Another thing I have a problem with is that the software that came with it
    >for that LVviewer or whatever it is called, doesn't allow me to save RAW
    >files. As the guy said at bythom.com, Nikon is not a software company and
    >they go out of their way to prove it. As for the expensive accessories, I
    >bought the umbrellas for my medium format camera, (Mamiya RB67 Pro S) not
    >this camera. They also work on my Minolta X-700's without any problem. The
    >Nikon digital prosumer camera that I bought doesn't have a PC connection for
    >studio work. Talk about advanced. Ric.
    >


    First of all, we - the readers of this newsgroup - only know what you
    tell us in your post. Don't get your knickers in a twist because you
    are being judged to be foolish based on what you posted.

    Second, Nikon manuals are available online to be read or downloaded.

    Third, Nikon is not responsible for you being uninformed. It's not
    Nikon's fault that you purchased a used camera without the proper
    manual or software. They furnish both when you buy a new one. You
    made the buying decision and chose to buy a camera that evidently does
    not fit your needs. Who's not advanced here?

    The D5100 captures RAW files. Here's a free program that will allow
    you download files from you SD card:
    http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDownload.htm You can also do some
    very minor editing in FastStone. You can download the .NEF (RAW)
    file, view files, and save as using a different format such as .jpg.

    However, if you don't have a RAW processor, such as one found in
    programs like Adobe Elements, Photoshop, or Lightroom (or a dedicated
    RAW processor), you won't be able to take advantage of the RAW format.

    I can't imagine anyone buying a camera to make money and not having a
    software editing program or understanding that they need to acquire
    one.








    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 26, 2012
    #3
  4. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/25/2012 10:25 PM, Ric Trexell wrote:
    > "t> Normally, I'd provide whatever help I could to a poster's question.
    >> When it's a person that purchases a camera to make money, adds
    >> expensive accessories, but doesn't know what he's seeing through the
    >> viewfinder, I just can't bring myself to take the questions seriously.
    >>
    >> Little numbers to big ones? LOL
    >>
    >> A good site to get information is the Manual that came with the camera

    > ********************************************************************
    > Tony: I bought the camera used and what came with it was a manual in
    > Spanish, and a CD of the manual. The manual doesn't cover everything, and
    > what it does cover I have questions that it doesn't even begin to answer.
    > Another thing I have a problem with is that the software that came with it
    > for that LVviewer or whatever it is called, doesn't allow me to save RAW
    > files. As the guy said at bythom.com, Nikon is not a software company and
    > they go out of their way to prove it. As for the expensive accessories, I
    > bought the umbrellas for my medium format camera, (Mamiya RB67 Pro S) not
    > this camera. They also work on my Minolta X-700's without any problem. The
    > Nikon digital prosumer camera that I bought doesn't have a PC connection for
    > studio work. Talk about advanced. Ric.
    >
    >


    The 5100 is considered an entry level camera. If someone told you
    otherwise, you were mislead.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Aug 26, 2012
    #4
  5. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/25/2012 11:46 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    <snip>

    > I can't imagine anyone buying a camera to make money and not having a
    > software editing program or understanding that they need to acquire
    > one.
    >

    I can! Only because I've seen it. Several years ago while waiting for
    the zoo to open I met a woman who had just purchased new Nikon equipment
    for about $10,000. She only know enough to put the lens on the camera.
    She did not know what lens to use for what. She said she wanted to
    become a professional photographer. When I asked what programs she used
    for processing, I got a blank look. She had no clue that she even needed
    a computer. There are several members of my CC who can verify this incident.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Aug 26, 2012
    #5
  6. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:44:49 -0700, nospam <> wrote:
    : In article <>, Ric
    : Trexell <> wrote:
    :
    : > > A good site to get information is the Manual that came with the camera
    : > ********************************************************************
    : > Tony: I bought the camera used and what came with it was a manual in
    : > Spanish, and a CD of the manual.
    :
    : you can download an english manual directly from nikon.

    IIRC, Nikon (unlike Canon) makes you supply a serial number or something to
    prove that you own the camera. If you can't jump through their hoops, they may
    charge you for the manual.

    : > The manual doesn't cover everything,
    :
    : yes it does.

    Still more interested in showing off than in helping people, I see. I suppose
    you're planning to vote for Romney. Or are you not old enough?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 1, 2012
    #6
  7. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 23:46:53 -0400, tony cooper <>
    wrote:
    : On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 21:25:52 -0500, "Ric Trexell" <>
    : wrote:
    :
    : >
    : >"t> Normally, I'd provide whatever help I could to a poster's question.
    : >> When it's a person that purchases a camera to make money, adds
    : >> expensive accessories, but doesn't know what he's seeing through the
    : >> viewfinder, I just can't bring myself to take the questions seriously.
    : >>
    : >> Little numbers to big ones? LOL
    : >>
    : >> A good site to get information is the Manual that came with the camera
    : >********************************************************************
    : >Tony: I bought the camera used and what came with it was a manual in
    : >Spanish, and a CD of the manual. The manual doesn't cover everything, and
    : >what it does cover I have questions that it doesn't even begin to answer.
    : >Another thing I have a problem with is that the software that came with it
    : >for that LVviewer or whatever it is called, doesn't allow me to save RAW
    : >files. As the guy said at bythom.com, Nikon is not a software company and
    : >they go out of their way to prove it. As for the expensive accessories, I
    : >bought the umbrellas for my medium format camera, (Mamiya RB67 Pro S) not
    : >this camera. They also work on my Minolta X-700's without any problem. The
    : >Nikon digital prosumer camera that I bought doesn't have a PC connection for
    : >studio work. Talk about advanced. Ric.
    : >
    :
    : First of all, we - the readers of this newsgroup - only know what you
    : tell us in your post. Don't get your knickers in a twist because you
    : are being judged to be foolish based on what you posted.

    Yeah, but nothing forces us to proclaim that judgement before we're sure.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 1, 2012
    #7
  8. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 15:28:10 -0400, PeterN <>
    wrote:
    : On 8/25/2012 11:46 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    : <snip>
    :
    : > I can't imagine anyone buying a camera to make money and not having a
    : > software editing program or understanding that they need to acquire
    : > one.
    : >
    : I can! Only because I've seen it. Several years ago while waiting for
    : the zoo to open I met a woman who had just purchased new Nikon equipment
    : for about $10,000. She only know enough to put the lens on the camera.
    : She did not know what lens to use for what. She said she wanted to
    : become a professional photographer. When I asked what programs she used
    : for processing, I got a blank look. She had no clue that she even needed
    : a computer. There are several members of my CC who can verify this incident.

    It's what we, as a society, have asked for by showering so much extra money on
    the 1%.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 1, 2012
    #8
  9. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/1/2012 10:54 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 15:28:10 -0400, PeterN <>
    > wrote:
    > : On 8/25/2012 11:46 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > : <snip>
    > :
    > : > I can't imagine anyone buying a camera to make money and not having a
    > : > software editing program or understanding that they need to acquire
    > : > one.
    > : >
    > : I can! Only because I've seen it. Several years ago while waiting for
    > : the zoo to open I met a woman who had just purchased new Nikon equipment
    > : for about $10,000. She only know enough to put the lens on the camera.
    > : She did not know what lens to use for what. She said she wanted to
    > : become a professional photographer. When I asked what programs she used
    > : for processing, I got a blank look. She had no clue that she even needed
    > : a computer. There are several members of my CC who can verify this incident.
    >
    > It's what we, as a society, have asked for by showering so much extra money on
    > the 1%.
    >


    But, but if you tax them more, to pay for useful services, they can't
    spend it. <//end sarcasm tag>


    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Sep 1, 2012
    #9
  10. tony cooper

    Rob Guest

    On 2/09/2012 12:44 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:44:49 -0700, nospam <> wrote:
    > : In article <>, Ric
    > : Trexell <> wrote:
    > :
    > : > > A good site to get information is the Manual that came with the camera
    > : > ********************************************************************
    > : > Tony: I bought the camera used and what came with it was a manual in
    > : > Spanish, and a CD of the manual.
    > :
    > : you can download an english manual directly from nikon.
    >
    > IIRC, Nikon (unlike Canon) makes you supply a serial number or something to
    > prove that you own the camera. If you can't jump through their hoops, they may
    > charge you for the manual.
    >
    > : > The manual doesn't cover everything,
    > :
    > : yes it does.
    >
    > Still more interested in showing off than in helping people, I see. I suppose
    > you're planning to vote for Romney. Or are you not old enough?
    >
    > Bob
    >


    There are other sites to obtain the manual.

    http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7008

    20mb PDF download.
    Rob, Sep 2, 2012
    #10
  11. tony cooper

    Rob Guest

    On 2/09/2012 1:33 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-09-01 07:44:47 -0700, Robert Coe <> said:
    >
    >> On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:44:49 -0700, nospam <> wrote:
    >> : In article <>, Ric
    >> : Trexell <> wrote:
    >> :
    >> : > > A good site to get information is the Manual that came with the
    >> camera
    >> : > ********************************************************************
    >> : > Tony: I bought the camera used and what came with it was a manual in
    >> : > Spanish, and a CD of the manual.
    >> :
    >> : you can download an english manual directly from nikon.
    >>
    >> IIRC, Nikon (unlike Canon) makes you supply a serial number or
    >> something to
    >> prove that you own the camera. If you can't jump through their hoops,
    >> they may
    >> charge you for the manual.

    >
    > That was for a printable manual. I believe that was a past practice
    > Nikon will provide PDF manuals for all cameras and accessories without
    > having to jump through any registration & support hoops.
    >
    > I don't own a D5100, and yet it is simple enough to download the manual
    > without a serial number.
    > < http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D5100_EN.pdf >
    >
    >
    >> : > The manual doesn't cover everything,
    >> :
    >> : yes it does.
    >>


    there are other nikon sites as well for the download

    Its just how you understand the manual its all there tho.

    I have found the brochure helpful in understanding the camera - then
    look at the manual to interact with the menu to make it work. The
    brochure is downloadable as well.
    Rob, Sep 2, 2012
    #11
  12. tony cooper

    Nige Danton Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:44:49 -0700, nospam <> wrote:
    >> In article <>, Ric
    >> Trexell <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>> A good site to get information is the Manual that came with the camera
    >>> ********************************************************************
    >>> Tony: I bought the camera used and what came with it was a manual in
    >>> Spanish, and a CD of the manual.

    >>
    >> you can download an english manual directly from nikon.

    >
    > IIRC, Nikon (unlike Canon) makes you supply a serial number or something to
    > prove that you own the camera. If you can't jump through their hoops, they may
    > charge you for the manual.


    I downloaded the D7000 manuals from the Nikon site in both English and
    French recently. No requirement for a serial number or any other proof of
    ownership.

    --
    Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l
    Nige Danton, Sep 12, 2012
    #12
  13. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 12:33:36 +0000 (UTC), Nige Danton <>
    wrote:
    : Robert Coe <> wrote:
    : > On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:44:49 -0700, nospam <> wrote:
    : >> In article <>, Ric
    : >> Trexell <> wrote:
    : >>
    : >>>> A good site to get information is the Manual that came with the camera
    : >>> ********************************************************************
    : >>> Tony: I bought the camera used and what came with it was a manual in
    : >>> Spanish, and a CD of the manual.
    : >>
    : >> you can download an english manual directly from nikon.
    : >
    : > IIRC, Nikon (unlike Canon) makes you supply a serial number or something to
    : > prove that you own the camera. If you can't jump through their hoops, they may
    : > charge you for the manual.
    :
    : I downloaded the D7000 manuals from the Nikon site in both English and
    : French recently. No requirement for a serial number or any other proof of
    : ownership.

    And they were printable? (Not all downloaded PDF's are.)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 16, 2012
    #13
  14. tony cooper

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Robert Coe
    <> wrote:

    > : I downloaded the D7000 manuals from the Nikon site in both English and
    > : French recently. No requirement for a serial number or any other proof of
    > : ownership.
    >
    > And they were printable? (Not all downloaded PDF's are.)


    why would you want to print it? it's far more useful in electronic form.
    nospam, Sep 16, 2012
    #14
  15. Robert Coe <> writes:

    > On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 12:33:36 +0000 (UTC), Nige Danton <>
    > wrote:
    > : Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > : > On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:44:49 -0700, nospam <> wrote:
    > : >> In article <>, Ric
    > : >> Trexell <> wrote:
    > : >>
    > : >>>> A good site to get information is the Manual that came with the camera
    > : >>> ********************************************************************
    > : >>> Tony: I bought the camera used and what came with it was a manual in
    > : >>> Spanish, and a CD of the manual.
    > : >>
    > : >> you can download an english manual directly from nikon.
    > : >
    > : > IIRC, Nikon (unlike Canon) makes you supply a serial number or something to
    > : > prove that you own the camera. If you can't jump through their hoops, they may
    > : > charge you for the manual.
    > :
    > : I downloaded the D7000 manuals from the Nikon site in both English and
    > : French recently. No requirement for a serial number or any other proof of
    > : ownership.
    >
    > And they were printable? (Not all downloaded PDF's are.)


    Once it's on my hardware, it's printable. Adobe's software will block
    printing if certain bits are set, but there's other software that reads
    PDFs.

    --
    Googleproofaddress(account:dd-b provider:dd-b domain:net)
    Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
    Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 17, 2012
    #15
  16. tony cooper

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> : I downloaded the D7000 manuals from the Nikon site in both English and
    > >> : French recently. No requirement for a serial number or any other proof of
    > >> : ownership.
    > >>
    > >> And they were printable? (Not all downloaded PDF's are.)

    > >
    > >why would you want to print it? it's far more useful in electronic form.

    >
    > You might need it in the field.


    you're going to carry all that paper? especially unbounded?

    if you need a reference in the field, put the pdf on a smartphone or
    tablet.

    better yet, get one of the many dedicated apps that go much further
    than the manual does.
    nospam, Sep 17, 2012
    #16
  17. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 21:12:23 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-09-16 20:46:06 -0700, nospam <> said:
    >
    >> In article <>, Eric Stevens
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>>> : I downloaded the D7000 manuals from the Nikon site in both English and
    >>>>> : French recently. No requirement for a serial number or any other proof of
    >>>>> : ownership.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> And they were printable? (Not all downloaded PDF's are.)
    >>>>
    >>>> why would you want to print it? it's far more useful in electronic form.
    >>>
    >>> You might need it in the field.

    >>
    >> you're going to carry all that paper? especially unbounded?
    >>
    >> if you need a reference in the field, put the pdf on a smartphone or
    >> tablet.

    >
    >I keep all my manuals as PDFs on both my iPhone & iPad. They are kept
    >in the iBooks book case, easily accessible, important, & frequently
    >referenced sections can be book marked.
    >Works much better than the paper manual, and I can print, email,
    >message or text, individual sections or pages.
    >
    >
    >>
    >> better yet, get one of the many dedicated apps that go much further
    >> than the manual does.


    Y'all do understand that not everyone who owns a camera also owns a
    smart phone, an iPad, or any kind of device that conveniently stores a
    manual and retrieves it in the field?

    When I bought my in-car compact camera, I printed out part of the
    manual - on paper - and keep it in the car. The settings are not
    intuitive, so I need the manual until I get used to the camera.

    I see no reason to buy more devices to avoid printing out a few pages
    of paper.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Sep 17, 2012
    #17
  18. tony cooper

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >>>>> : I downloaded the D7000 manuals from the Nikon site in both English and
    > >>>>> : French recently. No requirement for a serial number or any other
    > >>>>> : proof of ownership.
    > >>>>>
    > >>>>> And they were printable? (Not all downloaded PDF's are.)
    > >>>>
    > >>>> why would you want to print it? it's far more useful in electronic form.
    > >>>
    > >>> You might need it in the field.
    > >>
    > >> you're going to carry all that paper? especially unbounded?
    > >>
    > >> if you need a reference in the field, put the pdf on a smartphone or
    > >> tablet.

    > >
    > >I keep all my manuals as PDFs on both my iPhone & iPad. They are kept
    > >in the iBooks book case, easily accessible, important, & frequently
    > >referenced sections can be book marked.
    > >Works much better than the paper manual, and I can print, email,
    > >message or text, individual sections or pages.
    > >
    > >> better yet, get one of the many dedicated apps that go much further
    > >> than the manual does.

    >
    > Y'all do understand that not everyone who owns a camera also owns a
    > smart phone, an iPad, or any kind of device that conveniently stores a
    > manual and retrieves it in the field?


    not everyone owns a printer either.

    and actually most people *do* now own a smartphone. it broke 50%
    earlier this year and continues to grow at a record pace, more so than
    any other consumer product.

    > When I bought my in-car compact camera, I printed out part of the
    > manual - on paper - and keep it in the car. The settings are not
    > intuitive, so I need the manual until I get used to the camera.


    why not buy a camera with intuitive settings? why make things difficult
    for yourself?

    the fact that you needed a manual and had to get used to the camera
    means it was poorly designed.

    > I see no reason to buy more devices to avoid printing out a few pages
    > of paper.


    a few pages?? what camera manual is a few pages?

    the d7000 manual is over 300 pages. that's a *lot* of paper*.
    nospam, Sep 17, 2012
    #18
  19. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:15:05 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, tony cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> >>>>> : I downloaded the D7000 manuals from the Nikon site in both English and
    >> >>>>> : French recently. No requirement for a serial number or any other
    >> >>>>> : proof of ownership.
    >> >>>>>
    >> >>>>> And they were printable? (Not all downloaded PDF's are.)
    >> >>>>
    >> >>>> why would you want to print it? it's far more useful in electronic form.
    >> >>>
    >> >>> You might need it in the field.
    >> >>
    >> >> you're going to carry all that paper? especially unbounded?
    >> >>
    >> >> if you need a reference in the field, put the pdf on a smartphone or
    >> >> tablet.
    >> >
    >> >I keep all my manuals as PDFs on both my iPhone & iPad. They are kept
    >> >in the iBooks book case, easily accessible, important, & frequently
    >> >referenced sections can be book marked.
    >> >Works much better than the paper manual, and I can print, email,
    >> >message or text, individual sections or pages.
    >> >
    >> >> better yet, get one of the many dedicated apps that go much further
    >> >> than the manual does.

    >>
    >> Y'all do understand that not everyone who owns a camera also owns a
    >> smart phone, an iPad, or any kind of device that conveniently stores a
    >> manual and retrieves it in the field?

    >
    >not everyone owns a printer either.


    Probably a larger percentage of computer owners own a printer than own
    smartphones.
    >
    >and actually most people *do* now own a smartphone. it broke 50%
    >earlier this year and continues to grow at a record pace, more so than
    >any other consumer product.


    What does "most" have to do with what I said? What you have so
    cleverly pointed out is that about 49% don't own smartphones. That's
    a whomping great number.

    >> When I bought my in-car compact camera, I printed out part of the
    >> manual - on paper - and keep it in the car. The settings are not
    >> intuitive, so I need the manual until I get used to the camera.

    >
    >why not buy a camera with intuitive settings? why make things difficult
    >for yourself?


    Any purchase is a compromise. This compact shoots RAW, has the
    ability to set speed and aperture, and has an extended zoom range; all
    features that I wanted for an in-car camera when I don't have my dslr
    with me.

    >the fact that you needed a manual and had to get used to the camera
    >means it was poorly designed.
    >
    >> I see no reason to buy more devices to avoid printing out a few pages
    >> of paper.

    >
    >a few pages?? what camera manual is a few pages?
    >
    >the d7000 manual is over 300 pages. that's a *lot* of paper*.


    Some are smarter than you, nospam. A 300 page manual contains many
    pages that are not needed for reference. I think I printed about 6 or
    8 pages, and that was sufficient.

    You may not be smart enough to cull the pages down to the ones needed,
    but some are. You would probably upload the entire manual to your
    smartphone and have to scroll through 300 pages to find the right one.




    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Sep 17, 2012
    #19
  20. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 08:26:44 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-09-17 07:23:12 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    >
    >> On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 21:12:23 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 2012-09-16 20:46:06 -0700, nospam <> said:
    >>>
    >>>> In article <>, Eric Stevens
    >>>> <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>>> : I downloaded the D7000 manuals from the Nikon site in both English and
    >>>>>>> : French recently. No requirement for a serial number or any other proof of
    >>>>>>> : ownership.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> And they were printable? (Not all downloaded PDF's are.)
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> why would you want to print it? it's far more useful in electronic form.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> You might need it in the field.
    >>>>
    >>>> you're going to carry all that paper? especially unbounded?
    >>>>
    >>>> if you need a reference in the field, put the pdf on a smartphone or
    >>>> tablet.
    >>>
    >>> I keep all my manuals as PDFs on both my iPhone & iPad. They are kept
    >>> in the iBooks book case, easily accessible, important, & frequently
    >>> referenced sections can be book marked.
    >>> Works much better than the paper manual, and I can print, email,
    >>> message or text, individual sections or pages.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> better yet, get one of the many dedicated apps that go much further
    >>>> than the manual does.

    >>
    >> Y'all do understand that not everyone who owns a camera also owns a
    >> smart phone, an iPad, or any kind of device that conveniently stores a
    >> manual and retrieves it in the field?

    >
    >Yes. However, it is an option for those who own such devices, and I can
    >think of at least five regular contributors to the photo news groups
    >who own and use 4 iPhones and one Android phone.
    >
    >>
    >> When I bought my in-car compact camera, I printed out part of the
    >> manual - on paper - and keep it in the car. The settings are not
    >> intuitive, so I need the manual until I get used to the camera.

    >
    >My D300S, and I am sure your D60 came with a compact and convenient, 64
    >page "Quick Guide" booklet, which resides in my bag. However, I also
    >have the full manual as a very accessible PDF in my iPhone, which I
    >usually have with me.


    The compact camera manual is 150 pages. I have a link to it on my
    desktop. I'd have to go out to the car to count how many of those
    pages I printed, but I think it was 6 to 8.

    I've had the camera for a few weeks now, but haven't used it much.
    Even so, I need to look at those 6 to 8 pages of manual far less
    frequently.

    Most of the contents of any manual is stuff that pertains to any
    digital camera and a lot of boilerplate. I don't need the manual to
    know how to remove the battery or the SD card or do any of the routine
    functions involved with a camera.

    Why you'd need the full manual on your phone is beyond me, but if it
    works for you...go for it.

    I could link to the full manual, or download it to, my laptop and take
    it with me when I go out. I don't see any point to doing so, however.
    The 6 to 8 pages cover everything I might need that is different from
    any camera.



    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Sep 17, 2012
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. me

    Re: Nikon D5100 questions.

    me, Aug 25, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    300
  2. PeterN

    Re: Nikon D5100 questions.

    PeterN, Aug 25, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    259
    PeterN
    Aug 25, 2012
  3. Ron

    Better sensor: Nikon D90 or D5100?

    Ron, Jan 11, 2013, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    236
  4. David Taylor

    Re: D3200 vs D5100

    David Taylor, Jan 18, 2013, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    193
    David Taylor
    Jan 18, 2013
  5. RichA

    Re: D3200 vs D5100

    RichA, Jan 19, 2013, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    169
    RichA
    Jan 19, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page