Re: Nikon D40 with 300mm lens AND teleconverter (Nikkor AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E II)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rita Berkowitz, Jan 24, 2008.

  1. nospam wrote:

    > canon's chuck westfall explains the problem in detail:
    >
    > <http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0508/westfall.html>
    >
    > Q: My EOS 20D in aperture priority mode with manual diaphragm lenses
    > exposes properly at f/2.8 and f/4, begins to overexpose from f/5.6 to
    > f/8, then comes back down around f/11. How can this be possible? Is
    > there a solution besides using an external meter?
    >
    > A: The EOS 20D focusing screen is optimized for superior brightness
    > at moderate apertures from about f/3.5 and smaller, compared to
    > conventional ground glass designs. This makes the viewfinder image
    > brighter and easier to focus manually at those moderate apertures,
    > but the trade-off is that it passes disproportionately more light to
    > the metering system.

    Sounds like a piss poor design to me! In Canon's defense, at least the 20D
    users don't get "ERROR 99" messages when using manual lenses.

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Jan 24, 2008

  2. ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
    Rita Berkowitz <> wrote:
    > nospam wrote:

    >> A: The EOS 20D focusing screen is optimized for superior brightness
    >> at moderate apertures from about f/3.5 and smaller, compared to

    > Sounds like a piss poor design to me!

    Just like restricting sensors to 24x36 or even APS sized ones,
    instead of 10x10" ...

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jan 25, 2008