Re: Nikon D100 vs Fuji S2 AGAIN...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mister M., Jul 31, 2003.

  1. Mister M.

    Mister M. Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:33:52 -0500, dperez@juno_nospam.com wrote:

    >I'm looking at the D100 and Fuji S2. I have several new Nikon lenses on my F100
    >so it makes sense to me to stay with Nikon.

    >Batteries - Nikon proprietary vs S2 having two different kind. Different but
    >just buy whats needed.

    Standard 2000mAh NiMH's work fine in the S2pro.

    >Both have sufficient capability to obtain a satisfactory white balance during
    >normal usage, either because the built-in works accurately (S2) or because the
    >WB can be adjusted (D100).

    WB can be customized on S2pro as well (several custom profiles
    available). It can be finetuned even more with optional raw file
    converter EX.

    >Both have the capability of modifying tone, sharpness, and other parameters so
    >shots can be from soft through "plastic". Does the D100 STILL have the edge in
    >making images that look "film like" or does the S2 turn out to be as "film like"
    >as the D100 (setting it to org, for example, or doing a profile prism)?

    'Film like' depends on type of film in mind. Both suffer from burned
    out highlights when overexposed.

    >Both have the capability of selecting various levels of saturation and such -
    >the S2 by selecting a film type (is this true? I recall a reference to
    >selecting "Velvia" or other Fuji film but don't see this in reviews), the D100
    >by selecting a Mode I, II, or III...

    There are no references to specific film types, but the saturation and
    contrast can be fiddled in several settings.

    >Both have the capability to provide consistently accurate exposure. D100 images
    >MAY be approximately 1/2 stop underexposed. If the D100 consistently
    >underexposes wouldn't you just set the exposure compensation? The S2 MAY
    >overexpose slightly. Same question?

    I have never noticed the S2pro to overexpose consistently, but your
    remedy is accurate.

    >The D100 has adobe RGB as a mode which the S2 doesn't, but at higher quality
    >you'd be shooting RAW so is this a meaningful difference?

    Very. As the matter of fact, I shoot RAW exclusively when I can (i.e.
    when I have the memory).

    >The S2 histogram is not as good as the D100.

    It is smaller, but useful.

    >Where are my understandings incorrect? Are there other MEANINGFUL differences?
    >Are the similarities NOT AS SIMILAR AS THEY SEEM?

    Support?

    Mister M., Jul 31, 2003

  2. >
    >>Where are my understandings incorrect? Are there other MEANINGFUL differences?
    >>Are the similarities NOT AS SIMILAR AS THEY SEEM?

    >Support?

    Can you elaborate on the support concern? Is there the perception (or worse,
    the reality) that Fuji is more prone to problems or that Fuji won't provide the
    same level of support that Nikon does? Or is this a different type of support
    that I haven't thought of? Software support? Upgrades?
    dperez@juno_nospam.com, Jul 31, 2003