Re: Nikon D100/Nikon N80; same exposure?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MarkH, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    Frank Gaylord <> wrote in

    > Simple question: Do a Nikon D100 and Nikon N80, with the same lenses
    > thereon, using the same metering system (usually Matrix), metering the
    > same subject, *always* need the same exposure reading for the best
    > photograph?
    >
    > The reason that I ask is that for as long as I've had my Nikon D100
    > (8/16/02), I've been unable to become comfortable with how to produce
    > acceptable (not necessarily artistic, just acceptable) photographs,
    > what with whatever complications encountered.
    >
    > Last week, I took a trip with my daughter, who has a Nikon N80. For
    > the first time, I compared my D100's exposure readings with a film
    > camera, her N80. Not to my surprise, I saw that her reading was some
    > 2-3 F Stops tighter than mine (Hers: 1250-2500 - 5.6 / Mine: 320 -
    > 5.6). However, when I manually set my D100 to her readings, the
    > photos turned out underexposed; not over underexposed, but still
    > underexposed.
    >
    > Should they have been?

    What ISO film was she using? What was your ISO setting?

    It sounds like she was shooting with ISO400 while you hade your D100 set to
    ISO100, this would give a 2 stop difference.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Jul 14, 2003

  2. MarkH

    W6DKN Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Frank Gaylord <> wrote in
    >
    >> Simple question: Do a Nikon D100 and Nikon N80, with the same lenses
    >> thereon, using the same metering system (usually Matrix), metering
    >> the same subject, *always* need the same exposure reading for the
    >> best photograph?
    >>
    >> The reason that I ask is that for as long as I've had my Nikon D100
    >> (8/16/02), I've been unable to become comfortable with how to produce
    >> acceptable (not necessarily artistic, just acceptable) photographs,
    >> what with whatever complications encountered.
    >>
    >> Last week, I took a trip with my daughter, who has a Nikon N80. For
    >> the first time, I compared my D100's exposure readings with a film
    >> camera, her N80. Not to my surprise, I saw that her reading was some
    >> 2-3 F Stops tighter than mine (Hers: 1250-2500 - 5.6 / Mine: 320 -
    >> 5.6). However, when I manually set my D100 to her readings, the
    >> photos turned out underexposed; not over underexposed, but still
    >> underexposed.
    >>
    >> Should they have been?

    > What ISO film was she using? What was your ISO setting?
    >
    > It sounds like she was shooting with ISO400 while you hade your D100
    > set to ISO100, this would give a 2 stop difference.

    That's pretty hard to do, as the D100 does not have an ISO 100 setting...

    <<< Dan >>>

    W6DKN, Jul 14, 2003

  3. On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:21:20 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <>
    wrote:

    :Frank Gaylord <> wrote in
    :news::
    :
    :> Simple question: Do a Nikon D100 and Nikon N80, with the same lenses
    :> thereon, using the same metering system (usually Matrix), metering the
    :> same subject, *always* need the same exposure reading for the best
    :> photograph?
    :>
[...]
    **************************
    Everything (that I can think of) was the same on both bodies and
    lenses. We were both on ISO 400.

    -- Frank :)

    Frank Gaylord, Jul 15, 2003
  4. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    Frank Gaylord <> wrote in

    >:It sounds like she was shooting with ISO400 while you hade your D100
    >:set to ISO100, this would give a 2 stop difference.
    > **************************
    > Everything (that I can think of) was the same on both bodies and
    > lenses. We were both on ISO 400.

    Then I got nothing!

    The exposure should have been within 1 stop between the 2 cameras, since it
    wasn’t *shrug* I dunno.

    If I get an opportunity at some stage I will try to compare my Canon 10D to
    a film camera and see if it is close to the same on exposure settings.

    MarkH, Jul 15, 2003
  5. On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:09:52 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <>
    wrote:

    :Frank Gaylord <> wrote in
    :news::
    :
    :> **************************
    :> Everything (that I can think of) was the same on both bodies and
    :> lenses. We were both on ISO 400.
    :
    :Then I got nothing!
    :
    :The exposure should have been within 1 stop between the 2 cameras, since it
    :wasn’t *shrug* I dunno.
    :
    :If I get an opportunity at some stage I will try to compare my Canon 10D to
    :a film camera and see if it is close to the same on exposure settings.
    **************************
    Any help that you may give will be appreciated. As I said, when I set
    my D100 (manually) to the same exposure settings as my daughter's N80,
    the out coming photo seemed a little on the dark (underexposed) side,
    maybe one F-Stop.

    -- Frank :)

    Frank Gaylord, Jul 15, 2003
  6. MarkH

    W6DKN Guest

    Frank Gaylord wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:09:52 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Frank Gaylord <> wrote in

    >>> **************************
    >>> Everything (that I can think of) was the same on both bodies and
    >>> lenses. We were both on ISO 400.

    >> Then I got nothing!
    >>
    >> The exposure should have been within 1 stop between the 2 cameras,
    >> since it wasn't *shrug* I dunno.
    >>
    >> If I get an opportunity at some stage I will try to compare my Canon
    >> 10D to
    >> a film camera and see if it is close to the same on exposure
    >> settings.

    > **************************
    > Any help that you may give will be appreciated. As I said, when I set
    > my D100 (manually) to the same exposure settings as my daughter's N80,
    > the out coming photo seemed a little on the dark (underexposed) side,
    > maybe one F-Stop.
    >
    > -- Frank :)

    Use a Wallace ExpoDisc ( http://www.expodisc.com ), shoot the sun on a
    bright day with center weighted metering (using the method that the
    ExpoDisc mentions in it's instructions), then measure the RGB values of the
    image in Photoshop.

    If your camera metering exposed properly, the RGB values will be
    R128,B128,G128. If they are different, adjust your exposure compensation
    until they do measure RGB 128,128,128 and that will be the correct exposure
    (and how much your camera metering is off).

    Also, if you use the ExpoDisc to do a manual white balance preset, your
    white balance will be spot on - regardless of lighting conditions.

    <<< Dan >>>

    W6DKN, Jul 15, 2003
  7. On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:04:47 -0700, "W6DKN" <>
    wrote:

    :Frank Gaylord wrote:
    :> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:09:52 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <>
    :> wrote:
    :>
    :>> Frank Gaylord <> wrote in
    :>> news::