Re: Nikon D100/Nikon N80; same exposure?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tom Thackrey, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Tom Thackrey

    Tom Thackrey Guest

    On 14-Jul-2003, Frank Gaylord <> wrote:

    > Simple question: Do a Nikon D100 and Nikon N80, with the same lenses
    > thereon, using the same metering system (usually Matrix), metering the
    > same subject, *always* need the same exposure reading for the best
    > photograph?
    >
    > The reason that I ask is that for as long as I've had my Nikon D100
    > (8/16/02), I've been unable to become comfortable with how to produce
    > acceptable (not necessarily artistic, just acceptable) photographs,
    > what with whatever complications encountered.
    >
    > Last week, I took a trip with my daughter, who has a Nikon N80. For
    > the first time, I compared my D100's exposure readings with a film
    > camera, her N80. Not to my surprise, I saw that her reading was some
    > 2-3 F Stops tighter than mine (Hers: 1250-2500 - 5.6 / Mine: 320 -
    > 5.6). However, when I manually set my D100 to her readings, the
    > photos turned out underexposed; not over underexposed, but still
    > underexposed.
    >
    > Should they have been?

    A little variation is normal, but 2-3 stops is way too much.

    Are you sure the D100 ISO setting matched N80?
    Are you sure you didn't have Auto-ISO set on the D100?

    I suggest shooting in RAW format on the D100. It gives you more control in
    the post-processing to fix exposure problems. The downside is you have to
    post-process your images before you can print them.

    --
    Tom Thackrey
    www.creative-light.com

    Tom Thackrey, Jul 14, 2003