Re: Nikon Coolscan III (LS 30)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Andrew Koenig, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. > Anybody who can advise regarding the installation of a Nikon Coolscan
    > III (LS 30) 35 mm slide scanner on the Windows XP platform?

    I don't know about the situation in the Netherlands, but in the USA,
    www.nikontechusa.com offers a download of Nikon Scan 3.1.2, which
    appears to support the LS-30 under Windows XP. You will need to download
    and install ASPI.

    You can probably also get it to work with Vuescan (www.hamrick.com).

    --
    Andrew Koenig,

    Andrew Koenig, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Andrew Koenig

    Jos Jansen Guest

    thank you andrew

    what means: ASPI?

    do you know if it also works with the no 4 version of silverfast (beautiful
    scanner software!)

    my new pc will not have a scsi entrance.
    therefore i will have to connect the nikon scanner with a usb-scsi
    connection cable.
    will that make any difference for its functioning?

    regards, jos

    Jos Jansen, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Andrew Koenig

    Trajabador Guest

    > what means: ASPI?

    Jos,

    ASPI stands for Advanced SCSI Programming Interface. Originally developed by
    Adaptec. It is a software layer that enables programs to communicate with
    SCSI (and ATAPI) devices.

    Thanks to Tony Gillilan for the definition.

    Check these pages: http://www.jvdam.nl/aspi.htm
    http://www.expertphoto.com/mypages/equipreview/Silverfast/silverfast revie
    w.htm

    > do you know if it also works with the no 4 version of silverfast

    (beautiful
    > scanner software!)

    I use Silverfast V6 as a PS7 plugin, and it works fine.

    > my new pc will not have a scsi entrance.
    > therefore i will have to connect the nikon scanner with a usb-scsi
    > connection cable.
    > will that make any difference for its functioning?

    Sorry, that I can't answer - I use the Adaptec 2930 SCSI adapter.

    BTW, I'm using Win2K, but from everything I've read, WinXP Pro will function
    exactly the same with regards to the drivers and scanner software.

    Good Luck,
    Dick Cunningham

    Trajabador, Aug 7, 2003
  4. Andrew Koenig

    Bob Shomler Guest

    >my new pc will not have a scsi entrance.
    >therefore i will have to connect the nikon scanner with
    >a usb-scsi connection cable.
    >will that make any difference for its functioning?

    Unfortunately in my experience it will make a difference. I tried
    this combination when migrating my LS-30 from a win98 system to XP. I
    installed ASPI and the usb-to-scsi converter but could not get scaner
    to operate. It would be recognized as attached but i/o commands to
    preview and scan would not work. I don't think it was the usb-to-scsi
    adapter itself; I tried it on the win98 system and it worked fine.

    What I did to get LS-30 to work on XP was install ASPI and an Adaptec
    2906 scsi card. Works with Vuescan, which I use; I don't have
    Silverfast.

    Bob Shomler
    [www.shomler.com]

    Bob Shomler, Aug 8, 2003