Re: Nikon Coolpix S8200 accessories

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David J Taylor, Jan 9, 2012.

  1. > But for ~$20, I can get 2 batteries, a stand-alone charger, and a car
    > adapter:
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-...QNS6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1326095727&sr=8-5
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/EN-EL12-Lithi...IKH4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1326095727&sr=8-3
    >
    > They claim to meet or exceed the Nikon specs. Are these safe to use?

    Jennifer,

    The likely answer is "yes". I've used 3rd-party batteries in Nikon and
    other brand cameras and had no problems. I avoided the very cheapest
    batteries sold on eBay, though.

    It wasn't completely clear whether both of the chargers you listed would
    work directly of AC mains, the first one listed an AC possibility, not the
    second.

    I have no direct experience of either brand or supplier.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 9, 2012

  2. > I wonder why these chargers aren't designed to work both as stand-alone
    > and in the camera? Why can't they design a charger that plugs into the
    > wall, has a cradle for the battery to charge stand-alone, and also a
    > cable to charge inside the camera? Seems like that would be the best of
    > all possible worlds. ;-)

    Jennifer, the way I tend to work is to have a fully charged battery in the
    camera at the start of the day, and one or two spares (also fully charged)
    just in case. Typically I will be away from my base for the whole day
    without the ability to recharge. At the end of the day I will take the
    battery out of the camera and charge it overnight, and use the
    fully-charged one I had with me in the camera for the next day.

    Actually, the number of times I've needed to change batteries during the
    day has become less and lees and the more modern cameras have lower power
    consumption. So previously having an in-camera charging facility would
    have been of no interest, but today perhaps you do have a point!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 9, 2012

  3. "David J Taylor" <> writes:

    > Actually, the number of times I've needed to change batteries during
    > the day has become less and lees and the more modern cameras have
    > lower power consumption. So previously having an in-camera charging
    > facility would have been of no interest, but today perhaps you do have
    > a point!

    A few weekends ago, I shot 1400+ pictures at an athletic event. I was
    running VR constantly, and AF-C. I chimp fairly heavily, including
    having auto-display on (I can glance down and see the histogram
    instantly if I have even half a second).

    I did that without exhausting the first of the three batteries I had
    with me. This is with a Nikon D700. I really can't complain about that
    battery performance!
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 9, 2012
  4. > A few weekends ago, I shot 1400+ pictures at an athletic event. I was
    > running VR constantly, and AF-C. I chimp fairly heavily, including
    > having auto-display on (I can glance down and see the histogram
    > instantly if I have even half a second).
    >
    > I did that without exhausting the first of the three batteries I had
    > with me. This is with a Nikon D700. I really can't complain about that
    > battery performance!
    > --
    > David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/

    Most impressive!

    What battery was that - the add-on MB-10 pack?

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond700/page3.asp
    http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/nikond700/images/sidebysidewMBD10-001.jpg

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 9, 2012
  5. "David J Taylor" <> writes:

    >> A few weekends ago, I shot 1400+ pictures at an athletic event. I was
    >> running VR constantly, and AF-C. I chimp fairly heavily, including
    >> having auto-display on (I can glance down and see the histogram
    >> instantly if I have even half a second).
    >>
    >> I did that without exhausting the first of the three batteries I had
    >> with me. This is with a Nikon D700. I really can't complain about that
    >> battery performance!

    > Most impressive!
    >
    > What battery was that - the add-on MB-10 pack?
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond700/page3.asp
    > http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/nikond700/images/sidebysidewMBD10-001.jpg

    Well, I had the pack mounted, but with an EN-EL3e battery in it. It
    didn't finish draining the battery in the pack and get into the battery
    in the camera body (or I suppose I could have misunderstood the battery
    status display, that's always an option).

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 9, 2012
  6. > Well, I had the pack mounted, but with an EN-EL3e battery in it. It
    > didn't finish draining the battery in the pack and get into the battery
    > in the camera body (or I suppose I could have misunderstood the battery
    > status display, that's always an option).
    >
    > --
    > David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/

    Thanks, David. Whether one or one and a bit batteries, 1400+ shots in
    still impressive.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 10, 2012