Re: Nikon Announces Another Must Have Camera, The D700!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul Furman, Jul 1, 2008.

  1. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Luke wrote:
    > Rita Berkowitz wrote:
    >> Thank you Nikon! You are simply the best. A full frame camera that
    >> doesn't
    >> weigh as much as the D3 and has the great performance one expects from
    >> Nikon. Eat your hearts out Canon users. I knew there was a reason my D3
    >> was acting like a lonely puppy. I gotta get one!
    >>
    >> <http://www.pixelistes.com/forum/documentations-et-firmwares-du-nikon-d700-new-vt39501.html>
    >>

    > Looks good - much as expected. About double D300 price - 2/3 of D3 price.

    What does a D3 sell for in Euros?
    2800 Euros = 4400 U.S. dollars

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jul 1, 2008

  2. Paul Furman

    Luke Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:

    >> Looks good - much as expected. About double D300 price - 2/3 of D3
    >> price.

    > What does a D3 sell for in Euros?
    > 2800 Euros = 4400 U.S. dollars

    Last time I saw, was still over 4000 Euros, D300 about 1500.

    You could guess that the rumours of D700 pricing of US$3,000 for the US
    may be about right. D300 price has dropped to about US$1600 since they
    stopped shipping *free* capture NX. US consumers get cheap prices.

    Sure the D700 is also much more expensive than the Canon 5d, but that's
    an old model and much lower specs than the D700. The 5d replacement
    specs and price will be very interesting.

    Luke, Jul 1, 2008

  3. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Luke wrote:
    > Paul Furman wrote:
    >

    >>> Looks good - much as expected. About double D300 price - 2/3 of D3
    >>> price.

    >> What does a D3 sell for in Euros?
    >> 2800 Euros = 4400 U.S. dollars
    >>

    > Last time I saw, was still over 4000 Euros, D300 about 1500.
    >
    > You could guess that the rumours of D700 pricing of US$3,000 for the US
    > may be about right.

    OK, I'm in. :)
    This is just what I've been waiting for. I couldn't justify upgrading
    the D200 to a D300 & don't want a huge D3. Now I'll want to keep the 200
    for telephoto & will have way too much junk to carry around but I'm sure
    I can make good use of it.

    Paul Furman, Jul 1, 2008
  4. Paul Furman

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Paul Furman <> wrote:

    >This is just what I've been waiting for. I couldn't justify upgrading
    >the D200 to a D300 & don't want a huge D3. Now I'll want to keep the 200
    >for telephoto & will have way too much junk to carry around but I'm sure
    >I can make good use of it.

    You don't have to keep the D200 for telephoto. Nikon gives their FX comeras
    a DX mode. Just flip it on for telephoto.

    Don Wiss, Jul 1, 2008
  5. Paul Furman

    Mr.T Guest

    "Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
    > You don't have to keep the D200 for telephoto. Nikon gives their FX

    comeras
    > a DX mode. Just flip it on for telephoto.

    Why not just crop in Photoshop?

    MrT.

    Mr.T, Jul 1, 2008
  6. In message news:_riak.636$, Paul Furman <paul-
    @-edgehill.net> done wrote:

    > What does a D3 sell for in Euros?
    > 2800 Euros = 4400 U.S. dollars

    A Euro used to be 88 cents. Thanks, Jorge W. Shrub.

    Alotta Fagina, Jul 1, 2008
  7. In message news:bXiak.20474$, Paul Furman
    <> done wrote:

    > don't want a huge D3.

    D700 is 35 oz, about halfway between the D200 (29.3) and D3 (44).

    Alotta Fagina, Jul 1, 2008
  8. In message news:, Don Wiss
    <donwiss@no_spam.com> done wrote:

    > You don't have to keep the D200 for telephoto. Nikon gives their FX
    > comeras a DX mode. Just flip it on for telephoto.

    And lose 4MP.

    Alotta Fagina, Jul 1, 2008
  9. Paul Furman

    Ray Paseur Guest

    Paul Furman <> wrote in news:bXiak.20474$co7.9631
    @nlpi066.nbdc.sbc.com:

    <snip>
    > OK, I'm in. :)
    > This is just what I've been waiting for. I couldn't justify upgrading
    > the D200 to a D300 & don't want a huge D3. Now I'll want to keep the 200
    > for telephoto & will have way too much junk to carry around but I'm sure
    > I can make good use of it.

    </snip>

    Paul, that is exactly what I do... I have a Canon 5D for full frame work
    and a 20D for long tele. The 5D has a 24-105 for its "always on" lens, and
    the 20D has a 70-200 for its "always on" lens. I carry a wider lens with
    the 5D set and a teleconverter with the 20D set. Two separate backpacks -
    the system works great! ~Ray

    Ray Paseur, Jul 1, 2008
  10. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Alotta Fagina wrote:
    > In message news:, Don Wiss
    > <donwiss@no_spam.com> done wrote:
    >
    >> You don't have to keep the D200 for telephoto. Nikon gives their FX
    >> comeras a DX mode. Just flip it on for telephoto.

    > And lose 4MP.

    Hmm, 8MP is not as bad as I was thinking. I do a lot of time lapse also
    and it would be nice to have a camera to use while the other sits on the
    tripod working away for an hour.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jul 1, 2008
  11. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Alotta Fagina wrote:
    > In message news:bXiak.20474$, Paul Furman
    > <> done wrote:
    >
    >> don't want a huge D3.

    > D700 is 35 oz, about halfway between the D200 (29.3) and D3 (44).

    What about size? Is that just internal differences? I guess it does have
    to be a whole different design, not just dropping a bigger sensor in a
    D300 body. $2,000 less is also a pretty big deal.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jul 1, 2008
  12. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:
    > Alotta Fagina wrote:
    >> In message news:bXiak.20474$, Paul Furman
    >> <> done wrote:
    >>
    >>> don't want a huge D3.

    >> D700 is 35 oz, about halfway between the D200 (29.3) and D3 (44).

    > What about size? Is that just internal differences? I guess it does have
    > to be a whole different design, not just dropping a bigger sensor in a
    > D300 body. $2,000 less is also a pretty big deal.

    Looks much smaller than a D3:
    http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/nikond700/images/d3d700.jpg

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jul 1, 2008
  13. Paul Furman

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:46:39 -0700, Paul Furman wrote:

    >>> You don't have to keep the D200 for telephoto. Nikon gives their FX
    >>> comeras a DX mode. Just flip it on for telephoto.

    >> And lose 4MP.

    > Hmm, 8MP is not as bad as I was thinking. I do a lot of time lapse also
    > and it would be nice to have a camera to use while the other sits on the
    > tripod working away for an hour.

    It's probably as bad as you were thinking. The D700's Large,
    Medium and Small resolutions in FX mode are 12, 6.75 and 3mp. The
    corresponding resolutions in DX mode are 5.1, 2.9 and 1.3mp. So
    only about 4mp are lost when switching from FX to DX in Medium
    resolution mode. For Large resolution, the loss is almost 7mp.

    http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25444/D700.html#Tech Specs

    ASAAR, Jul 1, 2008
  14. Paul Furman

    Paul Furman Guest

    Better comparison: http://edgehill.net/1/temp/d300-d700-d3.jpg

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jul 1, 2008
  15. Paul Furman

    Roger Moss Guest

    "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > In article <_riak.636$>, Paul Furman says...
    >
    >> What does a D3 sell for in Euros?
    >> 2800 Euros = 4400 U.S. dollars

    > That is because Europeans are stupid and will happily pay 50% more for
    > cameras than Americans. All camera manufacturers know that.
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    As, I'd remind you, do American software companies' pricing policies for
    sales to those outside the US - oh, and don't confuse stupidity with lack of
    choice...

    RM - France

    Roger Moss, Jul 1, 2008
  16. Paul Furman

    Mr.T Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message

    > >> And lose 4MP.

    > > Hmm, 8MP is not as bad as I was thinking. I do a lot of time lapse also
    > > and it would be nice to have a camera to use while the other sits on the
    > > tripod working away for an hour.

    > It's probably as bad as you were thinking. The D700's Large,
    > Medium and Small resolutions in FX mode are 12, 6.75 and 3mp. The
    > corresponding resolutions in DX mode are 5.1, 2.9 and 1.3mp. So
    > only about 4mp are lost when switching from FX to DX in Medium
    > resolution mode. For Large resolution, the loss is almost 7mp.

    Why I wonder. You lose a lot less than that by simply cropping later in
    Photoshop. That would be my preferred option in any case.

    MrT.

    Mr.T, Jul 2, 2008
  17. Paul Furman

    RichA Guest

    On Jul 1, 2:20 pm, Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > In article <_riak.636$>, Paul Furman says...
    >
    > > What does a D3 sell for in Euros?
    > > 2800 Euros = 4400 U.S. dollars

    > That is because Europeans are stupid and will happily pay 50% more for
    > cameras than Americans. All camera manufacturers know that.

    Takes a special kind of people to let their governments decide how to
    spend 60% of their income for them.

    RichA, Jul 2, 2008
  18. In message news:246310d7-e72a-4db2-aa4f-
    , RichA <> done
    wrote:

    > On Jul 1, 2:20 pm, Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    >> In article <_riak.636$>, Paul Furman says...
    >>
    >> > What does a D3 sell for in Euros?
    >> > 2800 Euros = 4400 U.S. dollars

    >> That is because Europeans are stupid and will happily pay 50% more for
    >> cameras than Americans. All camera manufacturers know that.

    > Takes a special kind of people to let their governments decide how to
    > spend 60% of their income for them.

    As opposed to 50% in the US.

    Alotta Fagina, Jul 2, 2008
  19. Paul Furman

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:11:44 +1000, Mr.T wrote:

    >> It's probably as bad as you were thinking. The D700's Large,
    >> Medium and Small resolutions in FX mode are 12, 6.75 and 3mp. The
    >> corresponding resolutions in DX mode are 5.1, 2.9 and 1.3mp. So
    >> only about 4mp are lost when switching from FX to DX in Medium
    >> resolution mode. For Large resolution, the loss is almost 7mp.

    > Why I wonder. You lose a lot less than that by simply cropping later in
    > Photoshop. That would be my preferred option in any case.

    Two reasons come to mind. First, more camera-cropped images can
    fit on the card, and second, it allows Nikon to advertise a
    'feature'. Namely, that you can still use your old, DX lenses with
    the FX body. Which isn't to say that (as you said) a little
    cropping on the computer wouldn't also allow the DX lenses to be
    used.

    ASAAR, Jul 2, 2008
  20. In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems RichA <> wrote:
    > On Jul 1, 2:20 pm, Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    >> In article <_riak.636$>, Paul Furman says...
    >>
    >> > What does a D3 sell for in Euros?
    >> > 2800 Euros = 4400 U.S. dollars

    >> That is because Europeans are stupid and will happily pay 50% more for
    >> cameras than Americans. All camera manufacturers know that.

    > Takes a special kind of people to let their governments decide how to
    > spend 60% of their income for them.

    Since most people live in the country they were born in I doubt it
    very much. But I would agree that sneering at the weird ways of
    foreigners is a matter of choice.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]