Re: Night vision equipment

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Hare-Scott, Feb 20, 2013.

  1. Alfred Molon wrote:
    > Just curious: I would imagine that these units contain monochrome
    > sensors with large pixels and due to the high-ISO race of the past
    > years, current DSLR sensors shouldn't be noisier. Or does military
    > grade night vision equipment contain sensors which are less noisy
    > than current DSLR sensors?
    > Or is perhaps the image processing software which makes the
    > difference?

    Or perhaps they work on a different principle.

    David Hare-Scott, Feb 20, 2013

  2. David Hare-Scott

    gregz Guest

    "David Hare-Scott" <> wrote:
    > Alfred Molon wrote:
    >> Just curious: I would imagine that these units contain monochrome
    >> sensors with large pixels and due to the high-ISO race of the past
    >> years, current DSLR sensors shouldn't be noisier. Or does military
    >> grade night vision equipment contain sensors which are less noisy
    >> than current DSLR sensors?
    >> Or is perhaps the image processing software which makes the
    >> difference?

    > Or perhaps they work on a different principle.

    The electron magnification tubes might have a slight persistence delay, but
    to get high iso, long integration times are used in sensors, as well as
    thermoelectric cooling. I notice delays when viewing my old Sony night
    vision camcorder.
    Cameras don't slow own sweep rates for integration times. I think they just
    average frames.

    Bigger pixels are a good thing.

    Greg
    gregz, Feb 21, 2013

  3. David Hare-Scott

    gregz Guest

    gregz <> wrote:
    > "David Hare-Scott" <> wrote:
    >> Alfred Molon wrote:
    >>> Just curious: I would imagine that these units contain monochrome
    >>> sensors with large pixels and due to the high-ISO race of the past
    >>> years, current DSLR sensors shouldn't be noisier. Or does military
    >>> grade night vision equipment contain sensors which are less noisy
    >>> than current DSLR sensors?
    >>> Or is perhaps the image processing software which makes the
    >>> difference?

    >> Or perhaps they work on a different principle.

    > The electron magnification tubes might have a slight persistence delay, but
    > to get high iso, long integration times are used in sensors, as well as
    > thermoelectric cooling. I notice delays when viewing my old Sony night
    > vision camcorder.
    > Cameras don't slow own sweep rates for integration times. I think they just
    > average frames.
    >
    > Bigger pixels are a good thing.
    >
    > Greg

    Back in the 80's, I was reading what amateur astronomers were doing to
    their homemade circuits for taking pictures through telescopes. A lot of
    home brew.
    Cold sensors were a must.

    Greg
    gregz, Feb 21, 2013