Re: Night Shots is posted!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by otter, Dec 25, 2010.

  1. otter

    otter Guest

    On Dec 24, 7:42 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    > Vampires rejoice, Night Shots is posted and available for viewing:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots

    Paul Furman, eclipse: Congratulations, great shot of the eclipse. I
    wish mine had turned out that good. Great color.
    W.P. Romfh, all three very nice. I wasn't so sure about the second
    one with all the poles and wires and such, but it kind of grows on
    me. The flight through the moon is nice.
    Troy Piggins: The Dubai ship picture is interesting - very moody.
    Duck: The Hearst pool pictures, yeah they look over-processed, but I
    like them anyway. You know, I never even saw the pool when I visited
    the Castle. Looks like I missed the best part.
    Tom Yost: I like the San Diego Trolley colors and composition. A
    little on the dark side.
    Peter Atkins, Maersk: Whoo, Nelly!
    Tim Conway, Swans: Interesting shot, nice composition, and as you
    described in another post, you put some effort into putting it
    together. I think it could be improved some more, though. Doesn't
    feel like it is quite finished. For one thing, the bills bother me
    that they blend into the black.
    Otter: Simply great, don't know how they could be improved :). Well,
    just to respond to some comments, the train was moving real slow,
    there is a station on the other end of the bridge. Putting a border
    around the musician picture is a good idea. I didn't think of it.
    Bowser: Your living room is a lot neater than mine, that's for sure!
    What happened to the hookers?
    Cooper: I think the Colony picture has potential, but there are some
    some things that bother me about this try - might be better if not
    centered, and perspective could be adjusted, maybe?
    Bob Cole: I liked that you tried something creative this time, Bob. I
    especially like the "Jazz on Fire" picture. It reminds me of the
    album cover of "Superunknown" by Soundgarden.
    Peter Newman, splash: Very nice. Nice colors. Would like to hear
    more about how this was done.
    Frank Ess, sunset: Nice sunset picture, Frank.

    All, in all, I'd say a good batch this time.

    otter, Dec 25, 2010

  2. otter

    peter Guest

    On 12/24/2010 9:54 PM, otter wrote:

    > Peter Newman, splash: Very nice. Nice colors. Would like to hear
    > more about how this was done.

    Thanks!

    Here is a repeat of my prior explanation, with just a little more detail:
    I was experimenting using a borrowed rig. Strobes connected to a sensor.
    The sensor set off the strobes when a ball bearing hit the sensor, from
    about 2'.
    The color is ordinary Spin-Art paint, covering the sensor, which
    splashed up after the ball bearing drop. I prefocused inside of a dark
    tent, holding the shutter open. The exposure was made from the strobes.
    While the effects are weird and interesting, I feel I have little
    artistic control and will not be producing more of these images.

    --
    Peter

    peter, Dec 25, 2010

  3. otter

    otter Guest

    On Dec 24, 8:54 pm, otter <> wrote:

    > Tom Yost:  I like the San Diego Trolley colors and composition.  A
    > little on the dark side.

    Hey Tom, do I have your permission to play with this picture in
    photoshop?

    otter, Dec 26, 2010
  4. otter

    Tim Conway Guest

    "otter" <> wrote in message
    On Dec 24, 7:42 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    > Vampires rejoice, Night Shots is posted and available for viewing:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots

    Tim Conway, Swans: Interesting shot, nice composition, and as you
    described in another post, you put some effort into putting it
    together. I think it could be improved some more, though. Doesn't
    feel like it is quite finished. For one thing, the bills bother me
    that they blend into the black.

    You're right. I dodged the bills in PS and it really improved it. thanks

    Tim Conway, Dec 28, 2010
  5. otter

    otter Guest

    On Dec 28, 9:50 am, "Tim Conway" <> wrote:
    > "otter" <> wrote in message

    > On Dec 24, 7:42 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    >
    > > Vampires rejoice, Night Shots is posted and available for viewing:

    > >http://www.pbase.com/shootin/nightshots

    > Tim Conway, Swans: Interesting shot, nice composition, and as you
    > described in another post, you put some effort into putting it
    > together.  I think it could be improved some more, though.  Doesn't
    > feel like it is quite finished.  For one thing, the bills bother me
    > that they blend into the black.
    >
    > You're right.  I dodged the bills in PS and it really improved it.  thanks

    Good!

    otter, Dec 28, 2010
  6. otter

    Tom Yost Guest

    otter <> wrote in news:49fe6a43-10f8-4b0b-aef7-
    :

    > On Dec 24, 8:54 pm, otter <> wrote:
    >
    >> Tom Yost:  I like the San Diego Trolley colors and composition.  A
    >> little on the dark side.

    > Hey Tom, do I have your permission to play with this picture in
    > photoshop?

    Please do! I would be interested to see what you come up with.

    Sorry for the late response, my ISP (cox) has dropped usenet, so I usually
    read/post from work and I've been out of the office for the holiday.

    Thanks to all who have commented. These are my first contributions to the
    shoot-in and actually first I've ever had my photos submitted for critical
    scruntiny... Hey, my mom thinks they are great! ;-)

    Tom Yost, Jan 3, 2011
  7. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jan 3, 10:33 am, Tom Yost <> wrote:
    > otter <> wrote in news:49fe6a43-10f8-4b0b-aef7-
    > :
    >
    > > On Dec 24, 8:54 pm, otter <> wrote:

    > >> Tom Yost: I like the San Diego Trolley colors and composition. A
    > >> little on the dark side.

    > > Hey Tom, do I have your permission to play with this picture in
    > > photoshop?

    > Please do! I would be interested to see what you come up with.
    >
    > Sorry for the late response, my ISP (cox) has dropped usenet, so I usually
    > read/post from work and I've been out of the office for the holiday.
    >
    > Thanks to all who have commented. These are my first contributions to the
    > shoot-in and actually first I've ever had my photos submitted for critical
    > scruntiny...  Hey, my mom thinks they are great!  ;-)

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/5322407262/#/photos/billkeshlear/5322407262/lightbox/

    Some quick tweaks in Photoshop. If it were my shot, I would take more
    time, and probably remove the bright light on the right side and make
    the yellow line more yellow. It still has a bit of a blue cast. I
    didn't quite get the crop straightened the way I wanted, either.

    But brightened it up a bit.

    (My export software automatically gave me credit for the shot, sorry
    about that.)

    otter, Jan 4, 2011
  8. otter

    Pete Guest

    Re: [SI] Night Shots is posted!

    On 2011-01-09 16:34:05 +0000, Alan Browne said:

    > On 11.01.09 11:28 , Alan Browne wrote:
    >> On 11.01.08 15:50 , Eric Stevens wrote:
    >>
    >>> 'v' of a body falling from a height 'h'. 'g' is the constant of
    >>> gravitational acceleration which in the USA is 32.2 ft/sec squared.

    >> The US adopted the metric system in 1890.
    >>
    >> US high schools teach elementary physics, chemistry and biology in metric.
    >>
    >> US government labs are with very few exceptions, metric.
    >>
    >> The US military, with some exceptions, is metric.
    >>
    >> And while the constant g will for the foreseeable future remain 32.2..
    >> ft-s^-2, it is also, in the US, 9.98.. m-s^-2.

    > Oops. 9.806... actually.

    It varies more than one might expect:

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth>

    --
    Pete

    Pete, Jan 9, 2011
  9. otter

    Tom Yost Guest

    otter <> wrote in

    > On Jan 3, 10:33 am, Tom Yost <> wrote:
    >> otter <> wrote in
    >> :

    >> > Hey Tom, do I have your permission to play with this picture in
    >> > photoshop?

    >> Please do! I would be interested to see what you come up with.
    >>
    >> Sorry for the late response, my ISP (cox) has dropped usenet, so I
    >> usuall

    >> read/post from work and I've been out of the office for the holiday.
    >>
    >> Thanks to all who have commented. These are my first contributions to
    >> the shoot-in and actually first I've ever had my photos submitted for
    >> critica

    >> scruntiny...  Hey, my mom thinks they are great!  ;-)

    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/5322407262/#/photos/billkeshl
    > ear/5322407262/lightbox/
    >
    > Some quick tweaks in Photoshop. If it were my shot, I would take more
    > time, and probably remove the bright light on the right side and make
    > the yellow line more yellow. It still has a bit of a blue cast. I
    > didn't quite get the crop straightened the way I wanted, either.
    >
    > But brightened it up a bit.
    >
    > (My export software automatically gave me credit for the shot, sorry
    > about that.)

    Nice crop. Much better balance.

    That shadow from the forwardmost pole on the right is a bother.

    Tom Yost, Jan 13, 2011
  10. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jan 13, 11:14 am, Tom Yost <> wrote:
    > otter <> wrote innews::
    >

    > > On Jan 3, 10:33 am, Tom Yost <> wrote:
    > >> otter <> wrote in
    > >> :

    > >> Please do! I would be interested to see what you come up with.

    > >> Sorry for the late response, my ISP (cox) has dropped usenet, so I
    > >> usuall

    > >> read/post from work and I've been out of the office for the holiday.

    > >> Thanks to all who have commented. These are my first contributions to
    > >> the shoot-in and actually first I've ever had my photos submitted for
    > >> critica

    > >> scruntiny... Hey, my mom thinks they are great! ;-)

    > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/5322407262/#/photos/billkeshl
    > > ear/5322407262/lightbox/

    > > Some quick tweaks in Photoshop.  If it were my shot, I would take more
    > > time, and probably remove the bright light on the right side and make
    > > the yellow line more yellow.  It still has a bit of a blue cast.  I
    > > didn't quite get the crop straightened the way I wanted, either.

    > > But brightened it up a bit.

    > > (My export software automatically gave me credit for the shot, sorry
    > > about that.)

    > Nice crop. Much better balance.
    >
    > That shadow from the forwardmost pole on the right is a bother.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/5353836786/#/photos/billkeshlear/5353836786/lightbox/

    Better?

    otter, Jan 14, 2011
  11. otter

    Tom Yost Guest

    otter <> wrote in

    > On Jan 13, 11:14 am, Tom Yost <> wrote:
    >> otter <> wrote
    >> innews:83397843-42ed-4f98-a0f7-6b1

    > :

    >> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/5322407262/#/photos/billkes
    >> >hl
    >> > ear/5322407262/lightbox/

    >> > Some quick tweaks in Photoshop.  If it were my shot, I would take
    >> > mor

    >> > time, and probably remove the bright light on the right side and
    >> > make the yellow line more yellow.  It still has a bit of a blue
    >> > cast.  I didn't quite get the crop straightened the way I wanted,
    >> > either.

    >> > But brightened it up a bit.

    >> > (My export software automatically gave me credit for the shot,
    >> > sorry about that.)

    >> Nice crop. Much better balance.
    >>
    >> That shadow from the forwardmost pole on the right is a bother.

    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/billkeshlear/5353836786/#/photos/billkeshl
    > ear/5353836786/lightbox/
    >
    > Better?

    Heh! (hat tip)