Re: Night Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sharon, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. Sharon

    Sharon Guest

    On 7/10/03 9:15 PM, wrote:
    > In message <>,
    > Sharon <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a Sony DSC S85 digital camera. I am not an experienced night
    >>photographer and have been having a hard time trying to take night or
    >>twilight photos. Can someone give me some pointers or point me towards a
    >>tutorial? We just had some new landscaping put in and some decorative
    >>lighting. In the evening it really looks pretty with the lighted palm
    >>trees reflecting off the pool surface and I have been trying to capture
    >>it on film. However the results have been very disappointing so far.

    > You didn't say what's wrong with the pictures.
    >
    > Are they too bright?
    >
    > Are they too blurry?
    >
    > Are they too dark?
    >
    > Are they too grainy?
    >
    > Are they out of focus?
    >
    > In any event, I am somewhat familiar with the camera, as my sister has
    > it and it is very similar to my Sony F707, and I know that it *can* be
    > done with that camera. The camera has full-auto, shutter-priority,
    > aperture-priority, and full manual modes.
    >
    > Make sure the ISO is set to 100, for better color, and reduced noise.
    > Put the camera on a tripod, or brace it on the edge of a table or
    > something stable. *Don't* use full-automatic mode; it only allows
    > exposures as short as 1/30th of a second. Use aperture-priority mode,
    > with the aperture set to about 4.0, and check what shutter speed the
    > camera is using. Then, look at the result. If it is too dark, try
    > again with the exposure compensation set to +1 or +2. If it is too
    > bright, go the other way. If +2 or -2 doesn't get what you want, then
    > try manual mode, using a much longer or shorter shutter time than what
    > the camera was doing in aperture-priority mode.
    >
    > One note; if you want the final result to be a dark picture overall, you
    > may still get better results by letting the picture expose at a normal
    > average brightness, and darkening the picture in software. There will
    > be less noise that way, as the darker a capture is, the stronger the
    > noise is, relative to it.

    Thanks so much for your help. The pictures are too dark. Part of the
    lighted palms show up but that's about all. I did try setting the ISO to
    100 but I'm afraid that I'm too much of a newbie at this to know what
    else to do. I'm willing to take the time to learn though. I don't have a
    tripod yet, but I guess that will be my next purchase. Thanks again for
    your help.

    Sharon
    Sharon, Jul 11, 2003

  2. Sharon

    Guest

    In message <Xns93B670228F143rolandkarlssonchello@130.133.1.4>,
    Roland Karlsson <> wrote:

    > wrote in news::
    >
    >> Set the camera to "Av" mode, and turn the little black wheel by the
    >> shutter until the number 4.0 appears on the LCD. Then, pin the camera
    >> down, on the edge of a table or something, and try again. Don't let the
    >> camera move until the it is finished with the picture (up to 8 seconds).

    >I think you mean "Tv" mode? "Av" is the aperture preference, and
    >if the S85 is like the S70, this will lead to no longer exposure
    >then 1/30 s. But if you use "Tv" (time preference) you can set
    >the camera to a longer time.

    I believe the longest shutter speed in Av mode is 8 seconds. 1/30 is
    for program mode. I am going by a general rememberence of the S85
    having the same auto-exposure ranges as my F707.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    , Jul 12, 2003

  3. wrote in news::

    > I believe the longest shutter speed in Av mode is 8 seconds. 1/30 is
    > for program mode. I am going by a general rememberence of the S85
    > having the same auto-exposure ranges as my F707.

    OK - then it differs from S70.

    Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Jul 12, 2003