Re: Night Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ralford, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. ralford

    ralford Guest

    you have a digital so experimenting is easy. Simply reduce the exposure.
    the camera is trying to make it look like daylight, so you have to correct
    that by reducing the exposure with faster speed or smaller aperture. you
    may be forced to read the manual to find out how to override the auto
    settings.

    good luck.

    rma

    ralford, Jul 11, 2003

  2. ralford

    Kenwood Guest

    #1. Get a tripod

    The rest is rudimentary. If you can go to manual mode an set for a long
    exposure.
    Experiment 2-20 seconds may be what you need depeneding on the sensitivity
    of your camera. This will increas the noise in the picture than can be
    easily
    removed later with many different noise filters available for Photoshop.

    Kenwood, Jul 11, 2003

  3. ralford

    Sharon Guest

    Thanks for your reply. I do plan to get a tripod soon. However Im really
    new at this and I do not know what a long exposure means. I have read
    the manual but found I needed more help than that.

    Sharon

    Sharon, Jul 11, 2003
  4. ralford

    Andrew Guest

    Sharon <> wrote:
    : Thanks for your reply. I do plan to get a tripod soon. However Im really
    : new at this and I do not know what a long exposure means. I have read
    : the manual but found I needed more help than that.

    If you live near a community college that offers basic photography
    classes, I suggest you take one. They are terrific at helping you
    understand the fundamentals of taking good pictures.

    "Long exposure" means the shutter on the camera that allows light into
    the sensor is open for a long period. When it's dark, the shutter
    must be open longer to get a correct exposure, because there's not
    much light. If you do not have the camera steady on something like a
    tripod, the results will look shakey.

    I often take pictures with the shutter open for 2-15 seconds. I know
    people who take 15 *minute* exposures (to get that misty feel of a
    waterflow). Long exposures can give you awesome pictures.

    As someone else said, try taking pictures at twilight. Dawn and dusk
    are the best times of the day to take these kinds of shot; which is
    best depends where you are shooting relative to the sun.

    And yes, you must get a tripod or something equivalent (monopod) to
    steady the camera.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----