Re: Next mandate selection

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Apr 28, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Apr 28, 12:42 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > Last month the Committee asked for suggestions for a new mandate.

    > Decay (consider shots of abandoned, or forgotten architecture,
    > engineering, infrastructure, etc.)

    No fair! The Americans in the northeast have too much of an advantage
    here. :)
    RichA, Apr 28, 2012

  2. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/28/2012 6:41 PM, RichA wrote:
    > On Apr 28, 12:42 pm, Alan Browne<>
    > wrote:
    >> Last month the Committee asked for suggestions for a new mandate.

    >> Decay (consider shots of abandoned, or forgotten architecture,
    >> engineering, infrastructure, etc.)

    > No fair! The Americans in the northeast have too much of an advantage
    > here. :)

    Posted with your usual actual knowledge.

    Let's see what you contribute

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Apr 29, 2012

  3. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:42:11 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 4/28/2012 6:41 PM, RichA wrote:
    >> On Apr 28, 12:42 pm, Alan Browne<>
    >> wrote:
    >>> Last month the Committee asked for suggestions for a new mandate.

    >>> Decay (consider shots of abandoned, or forgotten architecture,
    >>> engineering, infrastructure, etc.)

    >> No fair! The Americans in the northeast have too much of an advantage
    >> here. :)

    >Posted with your usual actual knowledge.
    >
    >Let's see what you contribute

    Actually, I agree with him. Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
    subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Apr 29, 2012
  4. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/28/2012 10:41 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:42:11 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 4/28/2012 6:41 PM, RichA wrote:

    >>> No fair! The Americans in the northeast have too much of an advantage
    >>> here. :)

    >> Posted with your usual actual knowledge.
    >>
    >> Let's see what you contribute

    > Actually, I agree with him. Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
    > subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.

    Do you live in the North East?
    Have you seen the re-vitalization? (Some call it "gentrification."

    Yes! There are a lot of issues with denigrated inner cities, but that
    issue is not limited to the US North East.

    <http://www.torontoslumtourism.com/our-facts.php>
    A short walk outside of Henry's is all he needs.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Apr 29, 2012
  5. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/28/2012 10:41 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:42:11 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 4/28/2012 6:41 PM, RichA wrote:

    >>> No fair! The Americans in the northeast have too much of an advantage
    >>> here. :)

    >> Posted with your usual actual knowledge.
    >>
    >> Let's see what you contribute

    > Actually, I agree with him. Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
    > subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.

    Perhaps we should add these links:

    <http://67.20.89.159/wrolandhamilton/tag/toronto-abandoned-buildings/>

    -<http://www.ontarioabandonedplaces.com/search.asp?city=Toronto>

    Derelict buildings are not limited, nor exclusive, as Rich suggests.
    the above links show he could effectively compete on that subject.
    Peter
    PeterN, Apr 29, 2012
  6. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : >> wrote:
    : >>> Last month the Committee asked for suggestions for a new mandate.
    : >>
    : >>> Decay (consider shots of abandoned, or forgotten architecture,
    : >>> engineering, infrastructure, etc.)
    : >>
    : >> No fair! The Americans in the northeast have too much of an advantage
    : >> here. :)
    : >
    : >Posted with your usual actual knowledge.
    : >
    : >Let's see what you contribute
    :
    : Actually, I agree with him. Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
    : subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.

    Well, those *are* timely subjects for a decaying architecture mandate. :^|

    The challenge in Florida might be to find the most opulent foreclosed house in
    the state. Extra points if it belonged to a gangster, druglord, political
    boss, or other famous celebrity.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Apr 29, 2012
  7. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 23:11:48 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 4/28/2012 10:41 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:42:11 -0400, PeterN
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Posted with your usual actual knowledge.
    >>>
    >>> Let's see what you contribute

    >> Actually, I agree with him. Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
    >> subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.
    >>

    >Do you live in the North East?

    Duh.

    >Have you seen the re-vitalization? (Some call it "gentrification."
    >
    >Yes! There are a lot of issues with denigrated inner cities, but that
    >issue is not limited to the US North East.

    Nor did he say that, Peter. He said they have an advantage. It's
    easier for a resident of a "rust belt" state to go out and find a
    interesting photographic opportunity that it is for me if the mandate
    is architectural decay. An abandoned steel mill is a more interesting
    subject than the typical abandoned house in this area.

    That doesn't mean that I can't compete in the mandate. I just have to
    put more thought, imagination, and searching for sites into it.

    I won't complain about whatever mandate is chosen.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Apr 29, 2012
  8. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/29/2012 7:31 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 22:41:10 -0400, tony cooper<>
    > wrote:
    > : On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:42:11 -0400, PeterN
    > :<> wrote:
    > :
    > :>On 4/28/2012 6:41 PM, RichA wrote:
    > :>> On Apr 28, 12:42 pm, Alan Browne<>
    > :>> wrote:
    > :>>> Last month the Committee asked for suggestions for a new mandate.
    > :>>
    > :>>> Decay (consider shots of abandoned, or forgotten architecture,
    > :>>> engineering, infrastructure, etc.)
    > :>>
    > :>> No fair! The Americans in the northeast have too much of an advantage
    > :>> here. :)
    > :>
    > :>Posted with your usual actual knowledge.
    > :>
    > :>Let's see what you contribute
    > :
    > : Actually, I agree with him. Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
    > : subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.
    >
    > Well, those *are* timely subjects for a decaying architecture mandate. :^|
    >
    > The challenge in Florida might be to find the most opulent foreclosed house in
    > the state. Extra points if it belonged to a gangster, druglord, political
    > boss, or other famous celebrity.

    Didn't you mean "infamous celebrity?"

    ;-)

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Apr 29, 2012
  9. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/29/2012 9:30 AM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 23:11:48 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 4/28/2012 10:41 PM, tony cooper wrote:

    >>> Actually, I agree with him. Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
    >>> subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.
    >>>

    >> Do you live in the North East?

    > Duh.
    >
    >> Have you seen the re-vitalization? (Some call it "gentrification."
    >>
    >> Yes! There are a lot of issues with denigrated inner cities, but that
    >> issue is not limited to the US North East.

    > Nor did he say that, Peter. He said they have an advantage. It's
    > easier for a resident of a "rust belt" state to go out and find a
    > interesting photographic opportunity that it is for me if the mandate
    > is architectural decay. An abandoned steel mill is a more interesting
    > subject than the typical abandoned house in this area.

    Coming from Rich I took it as a jab, and reacted accordingly.

    > That doesn't mean that I can't compete in the mandate. I just have to
    > put more thought, imagination, and searching for sites into it.
    >
    > I won't complain about whatever mandate is chosen.

    I Most abandoned steel mills I am aware of are located in Western
    Pennsylvania. Lat time I looked PA is not part of the North East, but
    Mid-Atlantic

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Apr 29, 2012
  10. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : > wrote:
    : > : On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:42:11 -0400, PeterN
    : > :
    : > :>> wrote:
    : > :>>> Last month the Committee asked for suggestions for a new mandate.
    : > :>>
    : > :>>> Decay (consider shots of abandoned, or forgotten architecture,
    : > :>>> engineering, infrastructure, etc.)
    : > :>>
    : > :>> No fair! The Americans in the northeast have too much of an advantage
    : > :>> here. :)
    : > :>
    : > :>Posted with your usual actual knowledge.
    : > :>
    : > :>Let's see what you contribute
    : > :
    : > : Actually, I agree with him. Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
    : > : subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.
    : >
    : > Well, those *are* timely subjects for a decaying architecture mandate. :^|
    : >
    : > The challenge in Florida might be to find the most opulent foreclosed
    : > house in the state. Extra points if it belonged to a gangster, druglord,
    : > political boss, or other famous celebrity.
    : >
    :
    : Didn't you mean "infamous celebrity?"
    :
    : ;-)

    In today's society, what's the difference? I submit that anyone who imagines
    that there actually is a difference didn't watch last night's White House
    Correspondents' Dinner! (That is to say, they didn't watch it on CNN. C-SPAN
    at least broadcast it a cappella, without the continual intervention by
    fawning commentators.)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Apr 29, 2012
  11. RichA

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Apr 28, 10:41 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:

    > >Let's see what you contribute

    > Actually, I agree with him.  Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
    > subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.
    >
    > --
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Lots of decay in Florida and Alabama. Mostly teeth.
    Annika1980, Apr 29, 2012
  12. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 13:39:26 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980 <>
    wrote:
    : On Apr 28, 10:41 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    : >
    : > >Let's see what you contribute
    : >
    : > Actually, I agree with him.  Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
    : > subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.
    : >
    : > --
    : > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    :
    : Lots of decay in Florida and Alabama. Mostly teeth.

    Now *there's* a two-fer. Meets the macro/closeup mandate as well.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Apr 29, 2012
  13. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/29/2012 4:39 PM, Annika1980 wrote:
    > On Apr 28, 10:41 pm, tony cooper<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Let's see what you contribute

    >> Actually, I agree with him. Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
    >> subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    > Lots of decay in Florida and Alabama. Mostly teeth.

    The big pickup line in Nashville is: "nice tooth."

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Apr 30, 2012
  14. RichA

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Apr 29, 7:35 pm, PeterN <> wrote:

    > > Lots of decay in Florida and Alabama.  Mostly teeth.

    > The big pickup line in Nashville is: "nice tooth."

    In Alabama it is "Get in the truck, bitch!"
    Annika1980, May 21, 2012
  15. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/20/2012 10:11 PM, Annika1980 wrote:
    > On Apr 29, 7:35 pm, PeterN<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Lots of decay in Florida and Alabama. Mostly teeth.

    >> The big pickup line in Nashville is: "nice tooth."

    > In Alabama it is "Get in the truck, bitch!"

    In Georgia and Tennessee they have a law that provides that if a married
    couple gets a divorce, after the divorce they are still brother and sister.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, May 22, 2012