Re: Newbie: starting a small repair business...

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by techshare, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. techshare

    techshare Guest

    "Larry Gagnon" <> wrote in message
    > I am a recently A+ certified semi-retired professional geologist with
    > good repair and computer skills who is thinking of starting a small,
    > work out of home, computer repair, upgrade and consulting business -
    > primarily aimed at the residential market making "house calls". I do
    > not want to set up a storefront, nor work for someone else.
    >
    > Obviously I have never done this type of work before, in this type of
    > market. I would like some comment from EXPERIENCED techs who have done
    > or who are doing this sort of work and am particularly interested in:
    >
    > 1) reasonable rates to charge: what are they?

    You have to decide this based on your area competition. I charge 79/hour for
    residential, 89/hour and up for business.
    > 2) reasonable minimum call-out charges: what are they?

    Same as #1 ... but I charge 89 for residential call, 109 for business call.
    This includes half hour technician time + diagnoses.
    > 3) liability insurance issues: how much, do you need it?

    Probably should have ... but I don't think it's that important.
    > 4) billing issues: do you bill later or up front and what do you find
    > to be your bad debtor ratio?

    Billing? Yeah, if you DON'T want to get paid. Charge when work is finished
    like most service businesses do.
    > 5) work order isues: do you insist on customer signing "we are not
    > responsible for your data" work orders?

    No, but I have them sign a statement that says they are satisfied with the
    work (when complete). Also in this agreement is a stiff bad check clause.
    The data thing seems like a good idea ... but sometimes I wonder what good
    that would really do if a customer actually wanted to go after me for some
    claimed data loss.

    techshare, Nov 11, 2003

  2. On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:53:39 -0800, "techshare" <>
    wrote:

    >> do you insist on customer signing "we are not
    >> responsible for your data" work orders?

    >No, but I have them sign a statement that says they are satisfied with the
    >work (when complete). Also in this agreement is a stiff bad check clause.

    Would you mind posting the text of what you use for the statement?
    I'm always looking for new ideas.

    MH

    I resisted 'till I couldn't take it anymore.

    (sigh) Address altered against Spam.

    Replace the -at- and put the "spring-mind" in the correct order
    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Nov 12, 2003