Re: Newbie, Cisco 877, ipv6, IOS, completely stuck

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by News Reader, Apr 15, 2008.

  1. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    Bob Moore wrote:
    > This is a sad story.
    >
    > We have purchased a Cisco 877 (SEC k9) with IOS 12.4, with the
    > intention of experimenting in a little IPv6 sandbox, for development
    > of some comms software.
    >
    > I have spent the whole day today establishing that although the 877
    > appears to support IPv6 (as per the Cisco website), the Cisco SDM
    > doesn't AT ALL.


    I'm sure that stings a bit.

    >
    > Putting to one side the wisdom of shipping a device that purports to
    > support IPv6 but has no way of configuring that support, and having
    > banged my head against the wall repeatedly and sworn to never, ever
    > purchase any Cisco product ever again, I'm now left with my only
    > recourse being the IOS console. Yes, in order to work with the latest
    > and greatest in internet protocols, I have to descend into the stygian
    > gloom of the technological dark ages... the serial interface. Lucky me
    > that my PC even HAS one of these things.


    Have you seen a GUI on any device that supports all underlying commands?

    Cisco products are feature-rich. The CLI (Command Line Interface) is a
    powerful interface, and still the choice of many (I have yet to use
    SDM). It takes time to get to know the CLI well (still working on it).
    Its unfortunate that your time-line is causing some hurt.

    >
    > So after much searching, I see that I need to issue the command
    >
    > ipv6 unicast-routing
    >
    > to this dinosaur of a device, at a very minimum. So I grab a copy of
    > Hypertrm from an old XP machine and fire it up. Bear in mind this is a
    > router already configured by SDM. It is not connected to anything
    > other than my two test machines, and it's definitely not connected
    > either to the corporate net or the Internet (we only bought a DSL
    > router so it could get repurposed later once I've finished playing
    > with it).
    >
    > I can log in using the username and password I configured earlier on
    > SDM... but then I get dropped at a
    >
    > yourname#
    >
    > prompt, with no idea what might be a valid input. This prompt is
    > tangentially mentioned in the Cisco startup guide, as appearing once
    > you've entered the enable command :
    >
    > yourname> enable


    You started out in "user-exec" mode (limited privileges), and you are
    using the "enable" command to elevate your privileges to
    "privileged-exec" mode, which is required in order to configure the
    device. Try typing "?" to see what commands are available in that mode.

    > yourname#


    This is privileged-exec mode (full on privileges). Try typing "?" to see
    what commands are available.

    If you want to configure parameters you will need to enter
    "configuration mode". The prompt will change to reflect the mode.

    c1710#conf t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    c1710(config)#?
    Configure commands:
    aaa Authentication, Authorization and Accounting.
    access-list Add an access list entry
    alias Create command alias
    appfw Configure the Application Firewall policy
    archive Archive the configuration
    arp Set a static ARP entry
    async-bootp Modify system bootp parameters

    <output trimmed>

    Use the "?", it is your best friend when starting out.

    >
    > but I can't enter ANYTHING that the router will recognise - it appears
    > to be trying to resolve anything I enter as a machine name. But since


    Input that is not recognized may be interpreted as the name of a host
    you are trying to connect too. Resolving the name to an IP Address ....

    > this router isn't connected to anything resembling a DNS server, that
    > isn't likely to succeed. Any attempt to enter a command produces an
    > "invalid input" error. I tried ipv6, I even tried enable.... nothing
    > works.
    >
    > Doesanyone have a clue what's going on here? Or how I might reverse
    > out of this ghastly situation ?
    >
    >
    > --
    > Bob Moore


    I recommend that you do some basic reading and come to grips with the
    CLI before proceeding with your IPv6 investigation. Once you develop
    some familiarity with the device, you may change your perspective, and
    perhaps appreciate the new skill set.

    Best Regards,
    News Reader
    News Reader, Apr 15, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. News Reader

    Guest

    On 15 Apr, 19:02, News Reader <> wrote:
    > Bob Moore wrote:
    > > This is a sad story.

    >
    > > We have purchased a Cisco 877 (SEC k9) with IOS 12.4, with the
    > > intention of experimenting in a little IPv6 sandbox, for development
    > > of some comms software.

    >
    > > I have spent the whole day today establishing that although the 877
    > > appears to support IPv6 (as per the Cisco website), the Cisco SDM
    > > doesn't AT ALL.

    >
    > I'm sure that stings a bit.
    >
    >
    >
    > > Putting to one side the wisdom of shipping a device that purports to
    > > support IPv6 but has no way of configuring that support, and having
    > > banged my head against the wall repeatedly and sworn to never, ever
    > > purchase any Cisco product ever again, I'm now left with my only
    > > recourse being the IOS console. Yes, in order to work with the latest
    > > and greatest in internet protocols, I have to descend into the stygian
    > > gloom of the technological dark ages... the serial interface. Lucky me
    > > that my PC even HAS one of these things.

    >
    > Have you seen a GUI on any device that supports all underlying commands?
    >
    > Cisco products are feature-rich. The CLI (Command Line Interface) is a
    > powerful interface, and still the choice of many (I have yet to use
    > SDM). It takes time to get to know the CLI well (still working on it).
    > Its unfortunate that your time-line is causing some hurt.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > So after much searching, I see that I need to issue the command

    >
    > > ipv6 unicast-routing

    >
    > > to this dinosaur of a device, at a very minimum. So I grab a copy of
    > > Hypertrm from an old XP machine and fire it up. Bear in mind this is a
    > > router already configured by SDM. It is not connected to anything
    > > other than my two test machines, and it's definitely not connected
    > > either to the corporate net or the Internet (we only bought a DSL
    > > router so it could get repurposed later once I've finished playing
    > > with it).

    >
    > > I can log in using the username and password I configured earlier on
    > > SDM... but then I get dropped at a

    >
    > > yourname#

    >
    > > prompt, with no idea what might be a valid input. This prompt is
    > > tangentially mentioned in the Cisco startup guide, as appearing once
    > > you've entered the enable command :

    >
    > > yourname> enable

    >
    > You started out in "user-exec" mode (limited privileges), and you are
    > using the "enable" command to elevate your privileges to
    > "privileged-exec" mode, which is required in order to configure the
    > device. Try typing "?" to see what commands are available in that mode.
    >
    > > yourname#

    >
    > This is privileged-exec mode (full on privileges). Try typing "?" to see
    > what commands are available.
    >
    > If you want to configure parameters you will need to enter
    > "configuration mode". The prompt will change to reflect the mode.
    >
    > c1710#conf t
    > Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
    > c1710(config)#?
    > Configure commands:
    >    aaa                         Authentication, Authorization and Accounting.
    >    access-list                 Add an access list entry
    >    alias                       Create command alias
    >    appfw                       Configure the Application Firewall policy
    >    archive                     Archive the configuration
    >    arp                         Set a static ARP entry
    >    async-bootp                 Modify system bootp parameters
    >
    > <output trimmed>
    >
    > Use the "?", it is your best friend when starting out.
    >
    >
    >
    > > but I can't enter ANYTHING that the router will recognise - it appears
    > > to be trying to resolve anything I enter as a machine name. But since

    >
    > Input that is not recognized may be interpreted as the name of a host
    > you are trying to connect too. Resolving the name to an IP Address ....
    >
    > > this router isn't connected to anything resembling a DNS server, that
    > > isn't likely to succeed. Any attempt to enter a command produces an
    > > "invalid input" error. I tried ipv6, I even tried enable.... nothing
    > > works.

    >
    > > Doesanyone have a clue what's going on here? Or how I might reverse
    > > out of this ghastly situation ?

    >
    > > --
    > > Bob Moore

    >
    > I recommend that you do some basic reading and come to grips with the
    > CLI before proceeding with your IPv6 investigation. Once you develop
    > some familiarity with the device, you may change your perspective, and
    > perhaps appreciate the new skill set.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > News Reader- Hide quoted text -

    I wrote this overlapping News REader. Probably some duplication.

    I seem to have gone on a bit.

    I doubt that you will get much assistance with the
    SDM here but since it does not appear to
    support what you want to do that will be no great loss.

    Thing is that Cisco kit is intended for professional use.
    The costs are just too high for anyone else.
    That is, use by a Network Engineer.

    I agree that the config editor is archaic but
    I have no idea if the requirements can be met in
    any way other than with the configuration
    file. If you know how to do it better then
    thhere is a large income awaiting you , that's for sure.




    Try typing

    ?[RETURN]

    then try

    show ?[RETURN]

    To edit the "running" configuration
    conf t

    (note that I have stopped mentioning return,
    you need to get with the program).


    end ! to exit config mode. Everything after ! is ignored.


    To save it:-

    copy run start

    try

    sh[TAB]

    The key documents are

    Configurationm Guide
    COmmand Reference



    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html

    Cisco IOS Configuration Fundamentals Configuration Guide, Release
    12.4
    Cisco IOS IP Addressing Services Configuration Guide, Release 12.4
    Cisco IOS IPv6 Configuration Guide, Release 12.4


    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/prod_command_reference_list.html


    These though do not tell you everything you need to know
    about designing networks.

    Here are two routers that talk to each onther via IPv6.
    They were part of a larger test network and there are
    no prizes for mentioning that there is no point in
    running OSPF on a single router:)


    You will need to change the inteface names

    Maybe you have int Vlan 1?


    The two FastEthernet 1/0 interfaces would be connected
    together.


    !! RB for Router B
    yourname#

    conf t

    hostname RB
    ip cef
    ipv6 unicast-routing
    ipv6 cef

    ! commented out 'cos you don't have Serial.
    !interface Serial0/0
    ! no ip address
    ! encapsulation frame-relay
    ! ipv6 address 2001:0:100:100::33/64
    ! ipv6 ospf network broadcast
    ! ipv6 ospf 1 area 0
    ! serial restart-delay 0
    ! frame-relay map ipv6 2001:0:100:100::34 931
    ! frame-relay map ipv6 FE80::CE00:13FF:FE70:10 931 broadcast
    ! no shut
    !
    interface FastEthernet1/0
    no ip address
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    ipv6 address 2001:0:1:2::1/64
    no shut

    ipv6 router ospf 1
    router-id 0.0.0.2
    log-adjacency-changes

    end
    copy run start

    !! RE router E
    yourname#

    conf t

    hostname RE
    ip cef
    !
    !
    ipv6 unicast-routing
    ipv6 cef

    interface FastEthernet1/0
    no ip address
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    ipv6 address 2001:0:1:2::17/64
    no shut
    end

    copy run start


    PS There is no point in bad-mouthing Cisco here,
    a lot of the people who write here make their living
    out of it and use it every day of their working lives.
    It's far from perfect but then you haven't seen
    the competition :) No NOT Draytek.
    Cisco have done such a better job of making the
    stuff easy to use AND TROUBLESHOOT that they now
    have no effective competition.

    For a home user it is impossibly difficult,
    for a professional it is magically easy
    (well sort of:).
    You need to know what you want to do.
    , Apr 15, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. News Reader

    Merv Guest

    Take a look at the brief IOS CLI tutorial at

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/cpropub/45/tutorial.htm

    You could try using SDM to configure a basic IPv4 setup and then look
    at the config that is generated by using the CLI.

    For example you could see how the interface IPv4 IP address assigned
    in SDM appears in the config ( use show run command to view). Once
    you ge the hang of it you can try figuring out how to add IPv6
    addresses to each interface

    Believe it or not there is a structure to IOS CLI configs - but
    certainly not intuitively obvious at the outset.

    You can always post questions here and someone will assist you
    Merv, Apr 15, 2008
    #3
  4. News Reader

    Bob Moore Guest

    Bob Moore, Apr 15, 2008
    #4
  5. News Reader

    Bob Moore Guest

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:02:41 -0400, News Reader <>
    wrote:

    >> I have spent the whole day today establishing that although the 877
    >> appears to support IPv6 (as per the Cisco website), the Cisco SDM
    >> doesn't AT ALL.

    >
    >I'm sure that stings a bit.


    I have scars :-(

    >Have you seen a GUI on any device that supports all underlying commands?


    Given that it's a router, and that the router is sold as supporting
    IPv6, it doesn't seem unreasonable that the configurator should do
    likewise. Bear in mind that the 877 is sold as a SOHO router, so most
    users would only expect to use the GUI tool. Seems to me that Cisco is
    playing in a market that's unfamiliar to it.

    >You started out in "user-exec" mode (limited privileges), and you are
    >using the "enable" command to elevate your privileges to
    >"privileged-exec" mode, which is required in order to configure the
    >device. Try typing "?" to see what commands are available in that mode.


    I never entered enable,that's just an example from the startup guide.
    But the tip about using ? is certainly useful, and that'll be my next
    step tomorrow. Actually, my second step - Merb has kindly pointed me
    at an IOS tutorial, so I'm going to settle down with a nice cup of tea
    and work my way through that.

    >> yourname#

    >
    >This is privileged-exec mode (full on privileges). Try typing "?" to see
    >what commands are available.


    No, seriously? the prompt for a high privilege mode is "yourname#" ?

    Wow... creative. Kinda hard to reconstruct the reasoning process that
    led to that design :)

    Thanks for the pointers.
    Bob Moore, Apr 15, 2008
    #5
  6. News Reader

    Merv Guest

    You can sort of divide a router config into "global" command -
    applies to the entire router,
    interface commands appling to an interface and routing process
    commands

    So to change the name of the router which would be consider a "global"
    command

    configure terminal
    hostname myrouter
    end

    ! anything preceded by the bang symbol is a comment

    ! save the running-config to NVRAM in case of power loss or we issue a
    reload command

    copy run start


    ! configurare IPv6 routing ( global) and add an IPv6 address to an
    interface (interface commands)

    conf t
    ipv6 unicast-routing

    interface vlan 1
    description 4-port built-in Ethernet switch
    ip address 192.168.44.1 255.255.255.0
    ipv6 address 2001:1:41:21:: 1/64
    end
    Merv, Apr 15, 2008
    #6
  7. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    Bob Moore wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:02:41 -0400, News Reader <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> I have spent the whole day today establishing that although the 877
    >>> appears to support IPv6 (as per the Cisco website), the Cisco SDM
    >>> doesn't AT ALL.

    >> I'm sure that stings a bit.

    >
    > I have scars :-(
    >
    >> Have you seen a GUI on any device that supports all underlying commands?

    >
    > Given that it's a router, and that the router is sold as supporting
    > IPv6, it doesn't seem unreasonable that the configurator should do
    > likewise. Bear in mind that the 877 is sold as a SOHO router, so most
    > users would only expect to use the GUI tool. Seems to me that Cisco is
    > playing in a market that's unfamiliar to it.


    Haven't looked at the marketing material, but most of us would probably
    consider it a small branch office router, and view the inclusion of IPv6
    as a bonus. How many SOHO business owners would be using IPv6?

    >
    >> You started out in "user-exec" mode (limited privileges), and you are
    >> using the "enable" command to elevate your privileges to
    >> "privileged-exec" mode, which is required in order to configure the
    >> device. Try typing "?" to see what commands are available in that mode.

    >
    > I never entered enable,that's just an example from the startup guide.
    > But the tip about using ? is certainly useful, and that'll be my next
    > step tomorrow. Actually, my second step - Merb has kindly pointed me
    > at an IOS tutorial, so I'm going to settle down with a nice cup of tea
    > and work my way through that.
    >
    >>> yourname#

    >> This is privileged-exec mode (full on privileges). Try typing "?" to see
    >> what commands are available.

    >
    > No, seriously? the prompt for a high privilege mode is "yourname#" ?


    I'm not sure what SDM guided you to do, but the normal IOS prompt would
    include the assigned device name, not your name.

    The symbol after the name conveys your current mode.

    router> would be user-exec
    router# would be privileged-exec

    Go to global configuration mode and you'll see the prompt convey the
    mode you are in

    e.g.:

    c1710#conf t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    c1710(config)#interface f0.6
    c1710(config-subif)#exit
    c1710(config)#end
    c1710#disable
    c1710>

    >
    > Wow... creative. Kinda hard to reconstruct the reasoning process that
    > led to that design :)


    Spend some time with it and you'll probably find there is less cause to
    ridicule it. If the platform wasn't worthy of some respect most of us
    wouldn't be using it.

    >
    > Thanks for the pointers.
    >


    Best Regards,
    News Reader
    News Reader, Apr 15, 2008
    #7
  8. News Reader

    Merv Guest


    >We have purchased a Cisco 877 (SEC k9) with IOS 12.4, with the intention of experimenting in a little IPv6 sandbox, for
    > development of some comms software.



    Perhaps a few more details on what you would like to do would be
    useful.

    If you just want to plug some devices into the 4 port Ethernet switch
    then you probably do not have to do much configuring
    at all.

    If you want to connect to an IPv6 tunnel broker then there is quite a
    bit to configure
    Merv, Apr 16, 2008
    #8
  9. News Reader

    Bob Moore Guest

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 07:41:20 -0700 (PDT), Merv <>
    wrote:

    >Perhaps a few more details on what you would like to do would be
    >useful


    With the help I got here and some time experimenting with the tutorial
    stuff you pointed me at, I've got it working. Thanks to all who
    contributed. It's just a small test rig so we can develop the IPv6
    support we need in our software product. Basic switching with maybe a
    bit of routing thrown in later will do us quite nicely.

    I'd imagine with the looming demand for IPv6 from the far east,
    there's going to be quite some market for small IPv6-capable
    equipment, which makes it all the more surprising that Cisco's
    software is lagging behind.
    Bob Moore, Apr 17, 2008
    #9
  10. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    Bob Moore wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 07:41:20 -0700 (PDT), Merv <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Perhaps a few more details on what you would like to do would be
    >> useful

    >
    > With the help I got here and some time experimenting with the tutorial
    > stuff you pointed me at, I've got it working. Thanks to all who
    > contributed. It's just a small test rig so we can develop the IPv6
    > support we need in our software product. Basic switching with maybe a
    > bit of routing thrown in later will do us quite nicely.
    >
    > I'd imagine with the looming demand for IPv6 from the far east,
    > there's going to be quite some market for small IPv6-capable
    > equipment, which makes it all the more surprising that Cisco's
    > software is lagging behind.
    >


    Had to get in one more shot before your departure Bob? ;>)

    Best Regards,
    News Reader
    News Reader, Apr 17, 2008
    #10
  11. News Reader

    Bob Moore Guest

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:39:46 -0400, News Reader <>
    wrote:

    >Had to get in one more shot before your departure Bob? ;>)


    Yup :)

    Actually, if it wasn't for China, I probably wouldn't even be doing
    this work. The powers that be are looking avariciously at that market.
    Bob Moore, Apr 19, 2008
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Tony Hoyle

    Configuring ipv6 on cisco 877

    Tony Hoyle, Dec 7, 2005, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    6,851
    Tony Hoyle
    Dec 8, 2005
  2. Steve
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    4,625
    Steve
    Mar 7, 2006
  3. SR
    Replies:
    25
    Views:
    990
  4. cjd
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    798
  5. Mike Zanker

    Cisco 877 IPv6 issue

    Mike Zanker, Oct 17, 2009, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,125
    waydot
    Oct 30, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page