    Unless there is true competition from all fronts, unbundling of both
    the local loop and the undersea cables, NZ will have continue to have
    3rd world telecomunication pricing.

    vex, Sep 21, 2003

  2. vex

    Zaphod Guest

    I suggest everyone post a message to Telecom using the Contact Us link
    on their web site.
    http://www.telecom.co.nz/stream/0,3898,200710-1547,00.html
    (click on any other enquiry)

    Let them know that
    - it is great lowering the prices of Jetstream and jetstarter
    - using existing traffic as an indication of how users *want* to
    use their service is not a good measure as the existing service
    is limited either by speed or cost
    - ask them to survey all users for what services we want
    - tell them what you would like,
    eg: you would like faster access and free national traffic
    on all services, or faster access and bigger limits
    on jet stream or faster access and similar limits
    on jet starter
    - ask them to comment to you on your feedback

    Cheers

    Zaphod, Sep 21, 2003

  3. vex

    back again Guest

    vex <> wrote in news::

    > Don't expect to see anything good from the Telecom monopoly.
    >
    > Unless there is true competition from all fronts, unbundling of both
    > the local loop and the undersea cables, NZ will have continue to have
    > 3rd world telecomunication pricing.

    Pricing in a number of "third world" Asian countries is way better than we
    get in NZ.

    back again, Sep 21, 2003
  4. vex

    Jay Guest

    back again wrote:

    > vex <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> Don't expect to see anything good from the Telecom monopoly.
    >>
    >> Unless there is true competition from all fronts, unbundling of both
    >> the local loop and the undersea cables, NZ will have continue to have
    >> 3rd world telecomunication pricing.

    > Pricing in a number of "third world" Asian countries is way better than we
    > get in NZ.

    That is because NZ is also "third world".

    Jay, Sep 21, 2003
  5. On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:23:23 +0000, back again wrote:

    > Pricing in a number of "third world" Asian countries is way better than we
    > get in NZ.

    Look closer. Those with good pricing either have heavy govt involvement in
    broadband rollouts (Korea) or have competition in the marketplace.

    Countries which don't, have similar pricing reigimes to (or worse than)
    New Zealand.

    --
    There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
    2: Fraud

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 22, 2003
  6. vex

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Ian McDonald" wrote
    > What I am also interested in is whether their new broadband channel
    > (xtra.co.nz/broadband) counts against your monthly usage?
    > When Telecom were asked about the costs and usage cap they replied
    > that their would be great content...
    > However if this is charged it just makes the problem worse!!
    > I've sent a query off to Telecom to get their official answer anyway.

    Barring any legal disclaimers that may be contained in such an email, can
    you post it here when(more likely to be if) you get a reply?

    T.N.O., Sep 22, 2003
  7. vex

    Ian McDonald Guest

    Here is the response I got from Telecom. I won't take it up with Xtra
    as no indication of free from them.... Yeah - a added value service
    that ends up costing you money!!! Xtra host these servers themselves
    and then charge you 20 cents per megabyte - highway robbery!!

    Telecom response:
    Dear Ian McDonald

    Thank you for your request.

    No I believe the broadband content page is charged at your normal MB's
    usage
    rate (ie not free).

    You will be best to contact Xtra directly but all indications suggest
    that
    this is just a normal page of Internet data that is charged as per
    normal.

    Please feel free to ring the Xtra team on 0800 225598 or email them at

    If we can assist you any further with this matter, or any other
    please feel
    free to contact Telecom on 123

    We will be happy to help.

    Yours sincerely

    Name of poor Telecom person and phone number removed (they don't set
    the policy so don't want them abused!!)

    Ian McDonald, Sep 23, 2003
  8. vex

    Zaphod Guest

    This is the reply I got from Telecom:

    "Thank you for your Feed back.

    Telecom appreciates all feed back received by customers, I have passed your
    e-mail on to the appropriate department for their review. You are able to
    contact the Jetstream team regarding this on 0800 253 878

    We did survey customers for their needs and requirments as well as on-line
    usage for past accounts, our ne plans are only the beginning of
    changes and
    plans to our Jetstream service, please do not think these are the only plans
    we will have available for the future. We have recevied a lot of feed back
    regarding our new plans and what customers would like to see, the manager in
    charge of Jetstream is reviewing all feed back for future changes.

    If we can assist you any further with this matter, or any other please feel
    free to contact Telecom on 123

    We will be happy to help.

    Yours sincerely

    Victoria Fitch

    For National Manager, Customer Services"

    Zaphod, Sep 23, 2003