Re: New worm targets Windows Update

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Bit Twister, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. Bit Twister

    Bit Twister Guest

    On 12 Aug 2003 23:01:30 GMT, donut wrote:
    > Just saw this on CNN, and while they didn't go into much detail, Windows
    > Update was mentioned, and that the worm's purpose is to launch a DDoS
    > attack against microsoft.com.
    >
    > I don't know how you could possibly download a worm at WU, but until more
    > details come out, I'd stay away from there.

    http://www.cert.org/advisories/
    CA-2003-20 :W32/Blaster worm
    Bit Twister, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Bit Twister

    Jeff Umbach Guest

    http://isc.incidents.org/
    http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-11

    The attack is that on August 16 all computers infected with this worm are to
    launch a Distributed Denail of Service attack at the Windows Update site.

    Just as with Code Red and Slammer, the patch to fix this exploit has been
    out for a month now.

    --
    Jeff Umbach

    Jeff Umbach, Aug 13, 2003