Re: New to this. What should I look for in the $300 range?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Sep 5, 2003.

  1. "Bogey" <> wrote in message
    news:CUQ5b.7935$...
    > Not a professional. Just enlarging to 8x10 occasionally.
    > And outdoor wildlife shots.
    > Mostly web pics, and printing my own.
    > using PaintShop Pro for editing.
    > suggestions?

    For ony $300 and you are thinking about going up to 8x10?
    No sarcasim/offence intended, but i would stick with film in that case...
    You need a 4 or 5mp camera for that size to look good, in my experience.

    then again, i might just have really high standards for prints, but if it
    looks even the slightest bit "digital" i consider it a waste of a physical
    print.

    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Sep 5, 2003

  2. Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

    GCW Guest

    On 9/4/03 6:01 PM, in article FfR5b.4905$kW.247@edtnps84, "Steven C
    (Doktersteve)" <> wrote:

    > "Bogey" <> wrote in message
    >> Not a professional. Just enlarging to 8x10 occasionally.
    >> And outdoor wildlife shots.
    >> Mostly web pics, and printing my own.
    >> using PaintShop Pro for editing.
    >> suggestions?
    >>

    > For ony $300 and you are thinking about going up to 8x10?
    > No sarcasim/offence intended, but i would stick with film in that case...
    > You need a 4 or 5mp camera for that size to look good, in my experience.
    >
    > then again, i might just have really high standards for prints, but if it
    > looks even the slightest bit "digital" i consider it a waste of a physical
    > print.

    Well, I have a different opinion. The Canon A70 (which I have) is about
    $300, and I've printed a number of quite acceptable 8x10's. Another option
    is the Nikon 3100, but it was about $50 more. I think you'd be happy with
    either. There are others as well.

    It's hardly a waste of a physical print. But that's just me.

    GCW, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

    Graham Guest

    > > "Bogey" <> wrote:
    > >> Not a professional. Just enlarging to 8x10 occasionally.

    At the conventional rule of thumb of 300dpi this equates to 2400 x 3000
    or around 7Mp.

    > >> And outdoor wildlife shots.

    Outdoor wildlife pics frequently require long lenses, otherwise all
    you'll get is a dot in the distance. And "Optical zoom" doesn't count!

    > >> suggestions?

    You're up around DSLR territory and serious dollars there. If you
    already own a suitable film camera, keep using it; any $300 digital
    camera will be a terrible dissapointment by comparison.

    GCW wrote:
    > Well, I have a different opinion. The Canon A70 (which I have) is
    > about $300,

    I own a Canon A70 too.

    > and I've printed a number of quite acceptable 8x10's.

    2048 x 1536 gives a bit under 200dpi at 8x10. Whilst not ideal, this is
    acceptable for many purposes.

    However, at full optical zoom, most wildlife will still be a dot in the
    distance.

    > Another option is the Nikon 3100, but it was about $50 more.
    > I think you'd be happy with either. There are others as well.

    I think you'd be terribly dissapointed with either if you're used to
    using a 200mm or longer lens on 35mm.

    Graham, Sep 5, 2003