Re: NEW Smtp filtering?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jimchip, Jun 21, 2003.

  1. Jimchip

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 13:13:48 -0700, Clad Monitor wrote:
    > Heres a strange one, I left town for a few days last week and returned to
    > find that I can't send mail though my domains SMTP servers. So I tweaked
    > with it and found on top of that I cant send mail through any host other
    > than COX.NET's servers? I have 2 computers in my home one is no more than a
    > file server with winXP pro that I am currently using to fix the problem
    > making sure no 3rd party software is the culprit. The computer is directly
    > connected to the cable modem. From the error I recive it seems the computer
    > accepts the incomming connection but cannot respond to my connection so it
    > times out after the 30 seconds.
    >
    > I called COX but at my dismay a 30 minute hold time forced me to try their
    > Live Chat online. JT flat told me they are activly enforcing a new poicy of
    > denying any connections on port 25 and then even before I could finish
    > reading ended the conversation. (@$$H0LE!) Can anyone shed some light on
    > this?
    >
    > PS Im on hold with cox as we speak.....

    Port 25 blocking is very common- It prevents open mail relays. If you are
    going to have your own server to connect to then you may wish to investigate
    the SMTPS protocol.

    You'll have to work out the other connection problems with your ISP. Since
    you hadn't used the system for a few days you may need to reset the modem
    and get a new IP # lease.

    (lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)
    Jimchip, Jun 21, 2003