Re: New (should be) 24hoursupport.helpdesk FAQ

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian H¹©, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    news:// is for newsgroups, as http:// is for web pages, likewise with ftp://
    Brian H¹©, Jun 23, 2003

  2. Brian H¹©

    trout Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:

    >> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Unk continued:

    >>> Unk

    >> Strange behaviour with that link - had to remove the // to get
    >> anywhere and then it said it was expired or removed.
    >> A straight click tried to start a new account and download
    >> newsgroups.
    >> WTF ?

    > news:// is for newsgroups, as http:// is for web pages, likewise with
    > ftp://

    Yes, but why does OE try to start a new news *account* (with the
    name of the message ID)? Shouldn't it just generate an error message if
    the newsgroup was not available on the server?
    --
    "Just curious."
    trout, Jun 23, 2003

  3. Brian H¹©

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:32:40 -0700, "trout" <> wrote:

    >Brian H¹© wrote:

    >> Errrrr...erm... Slumpy said:
    >>
    >>> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you
    >>> ?" I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Unk continued:

    >>> Strange behaviour with that link - had to remove the // to get
    >>> anywhere and then it said it was expired or removed.
    >>> A straight click tried to start a new account and download
    >>> newsgroups.
    >>> WTF ?

    >> news:// is for newsgroups, as http:// is for web pages, likewise with
    >> ftp://

    > Yes, but why does OE try to start a new news *account* (with the
    >name of the message ID)? Shouldn't it just generate an error message if
    >the newsgroup was not available on the server?

    Strange..... when I click on that message ID, it takes Forte Agent right
    to the message. I even did that BEFORE I posted the direct link to make
    sure it worked!

    Unk
    Unk, Jun 23, 2003
  4. Brian H¹©

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:37:25 GMT, in
    <>
    Unk scrawled:

    >On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:32:40 -0700, "trout" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Brian H¹© wrote:

    >>> news:// is for newsgroups, as http:// is for web pages, likewise with
    >>> ftp://

    >> Yes, but why does OE try to start a new news *account* (with the
    >>name of the message ID)? Shouldn't it just generate an error message if
    >>the newsgroup was not available on the server?

    >Strange..... when I click on that message ID, it takes Forte Agent right
    >to the message. I even did that BEFORE I posted the direct link to make
    >sure it worked!
    >
    >Unk

    Use (without the //)

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jun 23, 2003
  5. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Brian H¹© said:

    > Errrrr...erm... trout said:
    >
    >> Brian H¹© wrote:

    >>> news:// is for newsgroups, as http:// is for web pages, likewise with
    >>> ftp://

    >> Yes, but why does OE try to start a new news *account* (with the
    >> name of the message ID)? Shouldn't it just generate an error message if
    >> the newsgroup was not available on the server?

    > It will take whatever is after // as a domain name, seeing as it had an @ in
    > it.

    Forget what I said after the comma, I think I need more alkihaul.
    Brian H¹©, Jun 23, 2003
  6. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:

    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:37:25 GMT, in
    > <>
    > Unk scrawled:

    >>> Yes, but why does OE try to start a new news *account* (with the
    >>> name of the message ID)? Shouldn't it just generate an error message if
    >>> the newsgroup was not available on the server?

    >> Strange..... when I click on that message ID, it takes Forte Agent right
    >> to the message. I even did that BEFORE I posted the direct link to make
    >> sure it worked!
    >>
    >> Unk

    > Use (without the //)

    Yep, that gives me an error message instead.
    Brian H¹©, Jun 23, 2003
  7. Brian H¹©

    trout Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Errrrr...erm... trout said:
    >
    >> Brian H¹© wrote:

    >>> news:// is for newsgroups, as http:// is for web pages, likewise
    >>> with
    >>> ftp://

    >> Yes, but why does OE try to start a new news *account* (with the
    >> name of the message ID)? Shouldn't it just generate an error message
    >> if
    >> the newsgroup was not available on the server?

    > It will take whatever is after // as a domain name, seeing as it had
    > an @ in it.

    Ah. So, basically it went looking for a news-server because I told
    it to.
    --
    "Great. Now OE is going to pout all day, no matter how many times I
    apologize."
    trout, Jun 23, 2003
  8. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... trout said:

    > Brian H¹© wrote:

    >> Errrrr...erm... trout said:

    >>> Yes, but why does OE try to start a new news *account* (with the
    >>> name of the message ID)? Shouldn't it just generate an error message
    >>> if
    >>> the newsgroup was not available on the server?

    >> It will take whatever is after // as a domain name, seeing as it had
    >> an @ in it.

    > Ah. So, basically it went looking for a news-server because I told
    > it to.

    'fraid so ;-)
    Brian H¹©, Jun 23, 2003
  9. Brian H¹©

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:55:18 -0700, in
    <bd7t07$p1pcv$>
    trout scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:

    <snip>

    >> Use (without the //)

    > Ding ding. That's the one. Another message to save.

    "For it is the doom of men that they forget" - Merlin
    °Mike°, Jun 23, 2003
  10. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:

    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:55:18 -0700, in
    > <bd7t07$p1pcv$>
    > trout scrawled:
    >
    >> °Mike° wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> Use (without the //)
    >>> news:

    >> Ding ding. That's the one. Another message to save.

    > "For it is the doom of men that they forget" - Merlin

    Merlin who? ;-)
    Brian H¹©, Jun 23, 2003
  11. Brian H¹©

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:17:34 +0100, in
    <_%KJa.2955$>
    Brian H¹© scrawled:

    > Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:
    >
    >> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:55:18 -0700, in
    >> <bd7t07$p1pcv$>
    >> trout scrawled:
    >>
    >>> °Mike° wrote:

    >> <snip>

    >>> Ding ding. That's the one. Another message to save.

    >> "For it is the doom of men that they forget" - Merlin

    >Merlin who? ;-)

    Polydactylous.

    --
    "No wanna work. Wanna bang on keyboard."
    °Mike°, Jun 23, 2003
  12. Brian H¹©

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as °Mike° continued:

    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:17:34 +0100, in
    > <_%KJa.2955$>
    > Brian H¹© scrawled:

    >> Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:55:18 -0700, in
    >>> <bd7t07$p1pcv$>
    >>> trout scrawled:

    >>> <snip>

    >>> "For it is the doom of men that they forget" - Merlin

    >> Merlin who? ;-)

    > Polydactylous.

    *That* old dinosaur ?
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    Slumpy, Jun 23, 2003
  13. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:

    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:17:34 +0100, in
    > <_%KJa.2955$>
    > Brian H¹© scrawled:

    >> Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:55:18 -0700, in
    >>> <bd7t07$p1pcv$>
    >>> trout scrawled:

    >>> <snip>

    >>> "For it is the doom of men that they forget" - Merlin

    >> Merlin who? ;-)

    > Polydactylous.

    I was thinking of his cousin Polyglot, or was that Polly Parrot?
    Brian H¹©, Jun 23, 2003
  14. Brian H¹©

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:31:14 +0100, in
    <PcLJa.2967$>
    Brian H¹© scrawled:

    > Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:
    >
    >> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:17:34 +0100, in
    >> <_%KJa.2955$>
    >> Brian H¹© scrawled:

    >>> Merlin who? ;-)

    >> Polydactylous.

    >I was thinking of his cousin Polyglot, or was that Polly Parrot?

    I'm outta this thread...

    --
    "We're sorry, reality is not in service at this time."
    °Mike°, Jun 23, 2003
  15. Brian H¹©

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:

    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:31:14 +0100, in
    > <PcLJa.2967$>
    > Brian H¹© scrawled:

    >> Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:17:34 +0100, in
    >>> <_%KJa.2955$>
    >>> Brian H¹© scrawled:

    >>> Polydactylous.

    >> I was thinking of his cousin Polyglot, or was that Polly Parrot?

    > I'm outta this thread...

    ;-)
    Brian H¹©, Jun 23, 2003