Re: New Releases: Universal Horror, Alias S2: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Scot Gardner, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Doug MacLean" <> wrote in message

    > Universal has something for... (almost everyone.)
    > Doug MacLean
    > http://www.hometheaterinfo.com

    Now that Universal is practically scraping the bottom of the barrel, is
    there any hope that they will FINALLY get around to doing anamorphic
    versions of _Vertigo_, _Psycho_ and/or _The Sting_?

    Now that MGM is busy cranking out anamorphic versions of its low-end
    classics, such as _Ski Party_ and _Muscle Beach Party_, has there been
    any word on _Girls Town_(1959)? (At least I think MGM has control of the
    Republic catalog.)

    Mamie Van Doren never hesitated to strut her stuff and there was no
    doubt that this babe would put out. One of Mamie's best movies was
    _Girls Town_, a title that defies all logic by combining a
    mostly-reputable cast in a totally-trashy, yet totally-enjoyable movie.
    The cast included Mamie Van Doren, Mel Tormé, Ray Anthony, Margaret
    Hayes, Paul Anka, Cathy Crosby, Gigi Perreau, Elinor Donahue, Gloria
    Talbott, Sheilah Graham and The Platters.

    The music is terrific throughout the flick and as a special bonus
    attraction, a pre-nose-job Paul Anka sings Ave Maria. To top it off,
    there are hints of lesbianism all over the place. There's an attempted
    rape, a self-defense killing, gang violence, stalking, attempted
    suicide, drag racing, kidnapping and religious conversion. The all-girl
    dance sequence at Girls Town, with musical accompaniment supplied by
    Paul Anka's band, is a real trip.

    In the 1950s, there were three reigning US sex goddesses: Marilyn Monroe
    was top dog, Jayne Mansfield a distant second and Mamie Van Doren a very
    distant third. But now, Mamie Van Doren, a former Universal Studios
    starlet, occupies the number one spot because she is still alive and
    sadly, Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield are both dead.

    For some reason, Mamie's best movies, such as _Untamed Youth_(1957),
    _High School Confidential!_(1958), _Born Reckless_(1958) and _Girls
    Town_(1959) have not appeared on DVD. (_High School Confidential_ was
    once available on LaserDisc, however.)

    Mamie Van Doren's movies never hesitated to showcase her shapely curves,
    which were enhanced dramatically with pushup bras and other padded
    undergarments. As she paraded through her scenes in a variety of tight
    sweaters and blouses, low-cut, form-fitting dresses and revealing
    swimwear, Miss Van Doren would deliver her hilarious lines. Her
    outrageous wardrobe, combined with her platinum-blonde hair and a sexy
    demeanor gave Mamie an irresistible, dime store-cheap and promiscuous
    appearance. She was every high school boy's fantasy girlfriend.

    Mamie Van Doren is a national treasure. Why haven't her classic movies
    made it to DVD?

    http://www.briansdriveintheater.com/mamie.html
    Scot Gardner, Jul 17, 2003

  2. Scot Gardner

    jayembee Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote:

    > Now that MGM is busy cranking out anamorphic versions of
    > its low-end classics, such as _Ski Party_ and _Muscle
    > Beach Party_, has there been any word on _Girls Town_(1959)?
    > (At least I think MGM has control of the Republic catalog.)

    No, I believe Paramount does.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jul 17, 2003

  3. Scot Gardner

    DAM Guest

    TB wrote:

    > "Scot Gardner" wro9te:
    >

    >>"Doug MacLean" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>Universal has something for... (almost everyone.)
    >>>Doug MacLean
    >>>http://www.hometheaterinfo.com
    >>>

    >>Now that Universal is practically scraping the bottom of the barrel, is
    >>there any hope that they will FINALLY get around to doing anamorphic
    >>versions of _Vertigo_, _Psycho_ and/or _The Sting_?
    >>

    > Universal needs to get around to releasing the batch of classic Hammer
    > Horror titles they have domestic rights to. This includes Brides of Dracula,
    > Curse of the Werewolf, Phantom of the Opera, Evil of Frankenstein and a few
    > others.
    >
    > T.B.

    Indeed. And whatever happened to Black Cat, The Raven, Murders In The
    Rue Morgue, The Invisible Man sequels, Inner Sanctum films, their great
    50's sci-fi features and Island Of Terror?

    No. Fucking Chucky.

    dam
    DAM, Jul 17, 2003
  4. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Ian Galbraith" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:15:04 -0700, Scot Gardner wrote:
    >

    > :Now that Universal is practically scraping the bottom of the barrel,

    is
    > :there any hope that they will FINALLY get around to doing anamorphic
    > :versions of _Vertigo_, _Psycho_ and/or _The Sting_?
    >
    > My copies of Vertigo and Psycho are anamorphic. They're R4 releases.

    You Australians must have pictures of most of some studio bosses in
    compromising poses with sheep. Universal gives you anamorphic versions
    of _Vertigo_ and _Psycho and Warner Bros. no longer ships Region 4 DVDs
    in cheap, cardboard "snapper" cases. (Warner also has produced
    Amaray-style Region 4 cover art for previous snapper cases.)

    What is your secret?
    Scot Gardner, Jul 17, 2003
  5. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    > "Scot Gardner" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Now that MGM is busy cranking out anamorphic versions of
    > > its low-end classics, such as _Ski Party_ and _Muscle
    > > Beach Party_, has there been any word on _Girls Town_(1959)?
    > > (At least I think MGM has control of the Republic catalog.)

    > No, I believe Paramount does.
    >
    > -- jayembee

    Here's what the Internet Movie Database has to say about this: (They are
    often wrong.)

    Company credits for Girls Town (1959)
    Production Companies
    Albert Zugsmith Productions [us]
    Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) [us]
    Distributors
    Cinema Associates (1964, USA, retitled re-release)
    Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) [us]

    Company credits for High School Confidential! (1958)
    Production Companies
    Albert Zugsmith Productions [us]
    Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) [us]
    Distributors
    Cinema Associates (1964, USA, retitled re-release)
    Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) [us]
    Republic Pictures Corporation [us] (video)
    Republic Pictures Home Video [us] (USA, VHS)
    Scot Gardner, Jul 17, 2003
  6. Scot Gardner

    jayembee Guest

    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote:

    > "jayembee" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Scot Gardner" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> No, I believe Paramount does.
    >>

    > Here's what the Internet Movie Database has to say about
    > this: (They are often wrong.)

    [snip]

    Not so much wrong (though they often are), as they present
    historical data. Essentially, for company credits, they list
    any company that has had its hands on the title since its
    first release.

    Anyway, as far as Republic being owned by Paramount (or,
    to be more precise, Viacom), I was correct. From
    http://members.fortunecity.com/teamfx2000/movies/paramount/
    (about two-thirds of the way down the page):

    Republic Pictures
    Est. 1924

    One of the major motion picture studios of the golden age
    of Hollywood. Merged with National Telefilm Associates in
    1984, and with Spelling Entertainment in the mid 1990s.
    Most of their film backlog is currently under license by
    Artisan Entertainment.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jul 17, 2003
  7. On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 07:43:49 -0700, Scot Gardner wrote:

    :"Ian Galbraith" <> wrote in message
    :news:...
    :> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:15:04 -0700, Scot Gardner wrote:

    :> :Now that Universal is practically scraping the bottom of the barrel,
    :is
    :> :there any hope that they will FINALLY get around to doing anamorphic
    :> :versions of _Vertigo_, _Psycho_ and/or _The Sting_?

    :> My copies of Vertigo and Psycho are anamorphic. They're R4 releases.

    :You Australians must have pictures of most of some studio bosses in
    :compromising poses with sheep. Universal gives you anamorphic versions
    :eek:f _Vertigo_ and _Psycho and Warner Bros. no longer ships Region 4 DVDs
    :in cheap, cardboard "snapper" cases. (Warner also has produced
    :Amaray-style Region 4 cover art for previous snapper cases.)

    :What is your secret?

    Well we do get screwed in other ways. We don't have nearly as wide a
    range as R1. There is also a tendency to screw us over on extras eg. The
    R4 release of The Man Who Wasn't There doesn't have the commentary.

    --
    Ian Galbraith
    Email:

    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become
    irrational in order to prove that you care, or indeed why it
    should be necessary to prove it at all." -Avon, Blakes 7
    Ian Galbraith, Jul 18, 2003
  8. "Scot Gardner" <> wrote in message
    > "Doug MacLean" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Universal has something for... (almost everyone.)
    > > Doug MacLean
    > > http://www.hometheaterinfo.com

    > Now that Universal is practically scraping the bottom of the barrel, is
    > there any hope that they will FINALLY get around to doing anamorphic
    > versions of _Vertigo_, _Psycho_ and/or _The Sting_?
    >
    > Now that MGM is busy cranking out anamorphic versions of its low-end
    > classics, such as _Ski Party_ and _Muscle Beach Party_, has there been
    > any word on _Girls Town_(1959)? (At least I think MGM has control of the
    > Republic catalog.)
    >
    > Mamie Van Doren never hesitated to strut her stuff and there was no
    > doubt that this babe would put out. One of Mamie's best movies was
    > _Girls Town_, a title that defies all logic by combining a
    > mostly-reputable cast in a totally-trashy, yet totally-enjoyable movie.
    > The cast included Mamie Van Doren, Mel Tormé, Ray Anthony, Margaret
    > Hayes, Paul Anka, Cathy Crosby, Gigi Perreau, Elinor Donahue, Gloria
    > Talbott, Sheilah Graham and The Platters.
    >
    > The music is terrific throughout the flick and as a special bonus
    > attraction, a pre-nose-job Paul Anka sings Ave Maria. To top it off,
    > there are hints of lesbianism all over the place. There's an attempted
    > rape, a self-defense killing, gang violence, stalking, attempted
    > suicide, drag racing, kidnapping and religious conversion. The all-girl
    > dance sequence at Girls Town, with musical accompaniment supplied by
    > Paul Anka's band, is a real trip.
    >
    > In the 1950s, there were three reigning US sex goddesses: Marilyn Monroe
    > was top dog, Jayne Mansfield a distant second and Mamie Van Doren a very
    > distant third. But now, Mamie Van Doren, a former Universal Studios
    > starlet, occupies the number one spot because she is still alive and
    > sadly, Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield are both dead.
    >
    > For some reason, Mamie's best movies, such as _Untamed Youth_(1957),
    > _High School Confidential!_(1958), _Born Reckless_(1958) and _Girls
    > Town_(1959) have not appeared on DVD. (_High School Confidential_ was
    > once available on LaserDisc, however.)
    >
    > Mamie Van Doren's movies never hesitated to showcase her shapely curves,
    > which were enhanced dramatically with pushup bras and other padded
    > undergarments. As she paraded through her scenes in a variety of tight
    > sweaters and blouses, low-cut, form-fitting dresses and revealing
    > swimwear, Miss Van Doren would deliver her hilarious lines. Her
    > outrageous wardrobe, combined with her platinum-blonde hair and a sexy
    > demeanor gave Mamie an irresistible, dime store-cheap and promiscuous
    > appearance. She was every high school boy's fantasy girlfriend.
    >
    > Mamie Van Doren is a national treasure. Why haven't her classic movies
    > made it to DVD?
    >
    > http://www.briansdriveintheater.com/mamie.html

    I'll stick with my MST3K version of "Girls' Town" taped off the cable.
    Raul Bloodworth, Jul 19, 2003