Re: New program not shown in "Add/Remove Programs"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, Jan 8, 2009.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 13:20:33 -0800, "alan" <>
    wrote:

    >(Using XP Pro, SP3). I recently borrowed a CD from a friend and installed
    >Adobe Photo Deluxe (Business Edition, 1.0.1), and just happened to notice
    >that it is not included on the Control Panel's "Add/Remove Programs" menu,
    >although it shows up quite clearly in the Program Files.

    You sure? Maybe it's under "Photo Deluxe" as opposed to
    "Adobe Photo Deluxe". Try reinstalling?

    >(1) Why would it not show up?

    I believe showing up there is optional - a software could be designed
    to not do so.

    >(2) If I did decide to remove it, how would I go about doing so?

    In the Programs Group, is there an uninstall?

    Failing that, look in the program files\Adobe .... <Whatever>
    Directory for uninstall.exe or something similar.

    Evan Platt, Jan 8, 2009

  2. Evan Platt

    alan Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 13:20:33 -0800, "alan" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>(Using XP Pro, SP3). I recently borrowed a CD from a friend and installed
    >>Adobe Photo Deluxe (Business Edition, 1.0.1), and just happened to notice
    >>that it is not included on the Control Panel's "Add/Remove Programs" menu,
    >>although it shows up quite clearly in the Program Files.

    > You sure? Maybe it's under "Photo Deluxe" as opposed to
    > "Adobe Photo Deluxe". Try reinstalling?

    Yes, I'm sure --- it does not appear in the add/remove list under any name.

    >>(1) Why would it not show up?

    > I believe showing up there is optional - a software could be designed
    > to not do so.

    Looks like, for whatever reason, this one has been designed not to show up
    in that list . . . I wonder why they would go to the trouble of designing it
    not to show up? (Or maybe it's that they have to go to more trouble to have
    it show up?)

    >>(2) If I did decide to remove it, how would I go about doing so?

    > In the Programs Group, is there an uninstall?

    Although I did not see an uninstall in the Program Files, I DID, however,
    notice that on the Start menu's programs list, there is apparently an option
    to uninstall. Thanks for pushing me to look around.

    > Failing that, look in the program files\Adobe .... <Whatever>
    > Directory for uninstall.exe or something similar.

    Thanks very much for your help, Evan.
    --
    alan

    alan, Jan 8, 2009

  3. Evan Platt

    PeeCee Guest

    "alan" <> wrote in message
    snip
    I wonder why they would go to the trouble of designing it
    > not to show up?

    Snip

    Alan

    A sign of a company that doesn't want to understand what the word 'choice'
    means.
    Surely a sign of a company driven by bean counters and advertising exec's.
    If you like it is Republican software i.e. the company knows what's best for
    the organisation and will do as much as possible to maintain their presence
    on your PC.
    Adobe is not alone in this, well known foistware companies include Microsoft
    (try removing IE) Real (Real PLayer) Apple (Quicktime & iTunes) etc.

    The software you installed has a lot of competition so I would suggest you
    have a trawl of the web for some of the freeware alternatives.
    e.g Photoscape, Serif Photo Plus, Pixia, Paint. Net etc
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=photo programs&btnG=Google Search&meta=

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 9, 2009
  4. Evan Platt

    alan Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > "alan" <> wrote in message
    > snip
    > I wonder why they would go to the trouble of designing it
    >> not to show up?

    > Snip
    >
    > Alan
    >
    > A sign of a company that doesn't want to understand what the word 'choice'
    > means.
    > Surely a sign of a company driven by bean counters and advertising exec's.
    > If you like it is Republican software i.e. the company knows what's best
    > for the organisation and will do as much as possible to maintain their
    > presence on your PC.
    > Adobe is not alone in this, well known foistware companies include
    > Microsoft (try removing IE) Real (Real PLayer) Apple (Quicktime & iTunes)
    > etc.
    >
    > The software you installed has a lot of competition so I would suggest you
    > have a trawl of the web for some of the freeware alternatives.
    > e.g Photoscape, Serif Photo Plus, Pixia, Paint. Net etc
    > http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=photo programs&btnG=Google Search&meta=
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    Thanks for the suggested alternatives, as I've never been an Adobe fan
    anyway ---- just had a quick look at the ones you mentioned, and Paint.Net
    looks pretty good . .

    --
    alan