Re: New Olympus E-500 and three Zuiko lenses announced

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lionel, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. Lionel

    Lionel Guest

    Tony Polson <> wrote in
    news::

    > Olympus has today announced a new Four Thirds System digital SLR, the
    > E-500 (to be know in North America as the 'Olympus EVOLT E-500'). The
    > E-500 has a much more traditional SLR appearance than the E-300, it
    > features the same

    ....terribly poor image quality and hopelessly inferior lense selection.

    Lionel, Sep 29, 2005

  2. Garbage, the words quoted by the previous poster, not the E-500.

    What seems conveniently missed out is that Olympus has announced three new
    lenses and, including Sigma compatible options, there are now about 20
    lenses available or in the pipeline.

    There is not much wrong with the E-300 in normal shooting conditions. Some
    have reported exposure inconsistency, but my review sample (with upgraded
    firmware) behaved itself in that respect and the E-500 has a new exposure
    meter anyway. Where it can't quite compete is at high ISO, but it's all
    relative and a little bit of noise is no bad thing if you ask me.

    My views on the E-500 are, if you are interested, here:

    http://dpnow.com/2149.html

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com
    Visit our discussion forum at http://dpnow.com/Forums.html

    Digital Photography Now, Sep 29, 2005

  3. Digital Photography Now wrote:
    []
    > http://dpnow.com/2149.html
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > Digital Photography Now

    Could you please remove that Orange advert from your site - the flashes
    are extremely distracting and may cause problems to some people with
    certain medical conditions.

    Thanks you.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 29, 2005
  4. I've not seen this ad, at least I don't think I have. The left hand margin
    features agency-selected ads according to my site profile, so I don't select
    them. When no agency ads are available, you will see something else, not
    usually heavily animated. All I can see at the moment is an Amazon ad there.

    I can ban ads and I have in the past, but I'd like to see them first before
    making that decision. Orange usually produce great ads, so your feedback
    surprises me.

    Ian

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
    message news:acU_e.117915$...

    Digital Photography Now, Sep 29, 2005
  5. Digital Photography Now wrote:
    > I've not seen this ad, at least I don't think I have. The left hand
    > margin features agency-selected ads according to my site profile, so
    > I don't select them. When no agency ads are available, you will see
    > something else, not usually heavily animated. All I can see at the
    > moment is an Amazon ad there.
    > I can ban ads and I have in the past, but I'd like to see them first
    > before making that decision. Orange usually produce great ads, so
    > your feedback surprises me.
    >
    > Ian

    Thanks, Ian. I am reminded of the TV programs where a warning is given
    about strobe effects during the show. OK, it's not that bad, but if you
    see it you can make up your own mind.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 29, 2005
  6. Lionel

    Basic Wedge Guest

    "Digital Photography Now" wrote ...

    > What seems conveniently missed out is that Olympus has announced three new
    > lenses and, including Sigma compatible options, there are now about 20
    > lenses available or in the pipeline.

    Clearly, Olympus has been pushing harder toward fielding a comprehensive line-up of lenses. I, for one, encourage their efforts.

    Rob

    Basic Wedge, Sep 29, 2005
  7. Indeed, with the latest pro-spec Digital Zuikos, like the 35-100 (equiv
    70-200) f/2.0, 90-250 (180-500) f/2.8, plus the recently announced fisheye
    and the release of the 7-14mm (14-28) f/4.0 in March, plus the forthcoming
    14-35mm (28-70) f/2.0, there is a lot of very exotic Four Thirds glass.

    Then there are the 35mm (70) f/3.5 macro, 18-180mm (36-360) f/3.5-6.3
    consumer lenses, as well as the new 17.5-45mm (35-90) f/3.5-5.6 kit lens.

    With Panasonic joining Olympus and launching a Four Thirds camera next year,
    things are certainly looking on the up.

    Digital Photography Now, Sep 29, 2005
  8. Lionel

    John Guest

    "Digital Photography Now" <> wrote in message
    > Indeed, with the latest pro-spec Digital Zuikos, like the 35-100 (equiv
    > 70-200) f/2.0, 90-250 (180-500) f/2.8, plus the recently announced fisheye
    > and the release of the 7-14mm (14-28) f/4.0 in March, plus the forthcoming
    > 14-35mm (28-70) f/2.0, there is a lot of very exotic Four Thirds glass.
    >
    > Then there are the 35mm (70) f/3.5 macro, 18-180mm (36-360) f/3.5-6.3
    > consumer lenses, as well as the new 17.5-45mm (35-90) f/3.5-5.6 kit lens.
    >
    > With Panasonic joining Olympus and launching a Four Thirds camera next
    > year, things are certainly looking on the up.
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > Digital Photography Now
    > http://dpnow.com
    > Visit our discussion forum at http://dpnow.com/Forums.html
    >

    > "Basic Wedge" <> wrote in message
    > "Digital Photography Now" wrote ...
    >
    >> What seems conveniently missed out is that Olympus has announced three
    >> new
    >> lenses and, including Sigma compatible options, there are now about 20
    >> lenses available or in the pipeline.

    > Clearly, Olympus has been pushing harder toward fielding a comprehensive
    > line-up of lenses. I, for one, encourage their efforts.
    >
    > Rob

    Anyone have an idea if this new camera is really coming out in October, and
    if so will it be early or late? I have been saving and shopping for a new
    camera and had pretty much decided on a new Canon Rebel XT, but found
    several reviews on this new Olympus and it has now peaked my interest. I am
    pretty much a hobbiest who is wanting a bit more than the old point and
    shoot, so the higher ISO may not even be of use to me, at least not for a
    while..I have decided to wait till I can see one of these E-500's, the two
    lens kit really sounds like a nice deal..
    Thanks!
    John

    John, Sep 30, 2005
  9. "John" <> wrote in message

    > Anyone have an idea if this new camera is really coming out in October,
    > and if so will it be early or late? I have been saving and shopping for a
    > new camera and had pretty much decided on a new Canon Rebel XT, but found
    > several reviews on this new Olympus and it has now peaked my interest. I
    > am pretty much a hobbiest who is wanting a bit more than the old point and
    > shoot, so the higher ISO may not even be of use to me, at least not for a
    > while..I have decided to wait till I can see one of these E-500's, the two
    > lens kit really sounds like a nice deal..
    > Thanks!
    > John

    Perhaps you should consider the E-300. There's not much difference in the
    specs and once the E-500 is released you should be able to purchase an E-300
    on the cheap.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Sep 30, 2005
  10. Yes, as long as you upgrade the firmware, there isn't that much wrong with
    the E-300 as long as you aren't sensitive to the styling.

    At
    http://dpnow.pricegrabber.com/searc...9324/search=olympus e-300/ut=3efc401f9004304b
    the E-300 twin lens kit is as cheap as US$739.

    Digital Photography Now, Sep 30, 2005
  11. On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:50:29 GMT in rec.photo.digital, "Digital
    Photography Now" <> wrote:

    > Yes, as long as you upgrade the firmware, there isn't that much wrong with
    > the E-300 as long as you aren't sensitive to the styling.

    I'm very happy with mine...

    Dennis P. Harris, Oct 1, 2005
  12. Lionel

    Sjef Gulpers Guest

    Crap commentary,
    After using several DSLR's, including N and C, the olympus is not worse or
    better than the targeted group (enthousiasts).

    Sjef Gulpers, Oct 2, 2005
  13. Sjef, I'd guess that english is not your first language and so I'm trying to
    be as diplomatic as possible here, but I don't understand what you mean?

    I agree that for your average mass market enthusiast photographer, all the
    entry level DSLRs will, without exception, be suitable, but what are you
    referring to in terms of 'Crap commentary?'

    Digital Photography Now, Oct 2, 2005
  14. Lionel

    Stacey Guest

    Digital Photography Now wrote:

    > Sjef, I'd guess that english is not your first language and so I'm trying
    > to be as diplomatic as possible here, but I don't understand what you
    > mean?
    >
    > I agree that for your average mass market enthusiast photographer, all the
    > entry level DSLRs will, without exception, be suitable, but what are you
    > referring to in terms of 'Crap commentary?'

    It's 'crap comentary' because you didn't tell them to buy a Canon product.

    Mention that the E300 is a viable option and expect to get flamed.

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Oct 3, 2005