Re: New Nikon D4?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Coe, Jan 25, 2011.

  1. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 20:22:03 -0600, Stefan Hofer
    <> wrote:
    :
    : Hey All!
    :
    : Has anyone heard anything about the new Nikon D4 coming out?

    Something must be going on in the Nikon world. The last time I looked Nikons
    up at B&H, virtually every model was out of stock.

    OTOH, a colleague at work finally got (from Amazon, IIRC) the D7000 he's been
    pursuing since around Thanksgiving. (That's late November, for you Brits and
    OZzies.) :^)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 25, 2011

  2. Robert Coe

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 20:22:03 -0600, Stefan Hofer
    ><> wrote:
    >: Hey All!
    >: Has anyone heard anything about the new Nikon D4 coming out?
    >
    >Something must be going on in the Nikon world. The last time I looked Nikons
    >up at B&H, virtually every model was out of stock.
    >
    >OTOH, a colleague at work finally got (from Amazon, IIRC) the D7000 he's been
    >pursuing since around Thanksgiving. (That's late November, for you Brits and
    >OZzies.) :^)

    Nikon sales in Q4/2010 were spectacularly good. The D7000 is a
    conspicuous success thanks to 16.2 MP and a very good specification.

    Sales of the Pentax K5 have also been very good indeed. It has the
    same Sony sensor as the D7000.

    Bruce, Jan 25, 2011

  3. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    : ><> wrote:
    : >: Hey All!
    : >: Has anyone heard anything about the new Nikon D4 coming out?
    : >
    : >Something must be going on in the Nikon world. The last time I looked Nikons
    : >up at B&H, virtually every model was out of stock.
    : >
    : >OTOH, a colleague at work finally got (from Amazon, IIRC) the D7000 he's been
    : >pursuing since around Thanksgiving. (That's late November, for you Brits and
    : >OZzies.) :^)
    :
    :
    : Nikon sales in Q4/2010 were spectacularly good. The D7000 is a
    : conspicuous success thanks to 16.2 MP and a very good specification.
    :
    : Sales of the Pentax K5 have also been very good indeed. It has the
    : same Sony sensor as the D7000.

    The D7000's Canon counterpart, the T2i (or 550D) is also a fine camera. My
    wife has one, and its image quality is impressive. The ongoing Nikon/Canon
    competition seems to be one of those rare corners of the business world where
    modern capitalism seems to actually work to the benefit of society. It's a
    shame (to the English-speaking world) that it took two Japanese companies to
    accomplish it.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jan 27, 2011
  4. Robert Coe

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 11:41:52 +0000, Bruce <> wrote:
    >: Nikon sales in Q4/2010 were spectacularly good. The D7000 is a
    >: conspicuous success thanks to 16.2 MP and a very good specification.
    >:
    >: Sales of the Pentax K5 have also been very good indeed. It has the
    >: same Sony sensor as the D7000.
    >
    >The D7000's Canon counterpart, the T2i (or 550D) is also a fine camera. My
    >wife has one, and its image quality is impressive.

    All the Canon DSLRs that use the 18 MP sensor - 550D (T2i), 60D and 7D
    - are fine cameras. The Nikon D7000 is probably just ahead of the
    Canon 60D on features and performance but still lags behind the superb
    Canon 7D. It will be the job of the D300 replacement to compete with
    the 7D.

    >The ongoing Nikon/Canon
    >competition seems to be one of those rare corners of the business world where
    >modern capitalism seems to actually work to the benefit of society. It's a
    >shame (to the English-speaking world) that it took two Japanese companies to
    >accomplish it.

    Since WW2, the English-speaking nations have enticed their most able
    people to go into the military industrial complex (especially in the
    USA) and the financial services industry (especially in the UK)
    leading to a dearth of talent and resulting relative decline in the
    performance of their consumer technology industries.

    It was the English-speaking nations that gave Japan the opportunity to
    dominate the world in consumer technology by preventing that country
    from re-arming after WW2. A high proportion of the best brains in
    Japan would have worked in the military industrial complex, had there
    been one. Instead, the best brains have gone into the automotive
    industry and into electronics. The result is Canon/Nikon.

    Bruce, Jan 27, 2011