Re: New monitor problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Jul 17, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Jordan <> wrote in

    > I just installed an Acer X243HQ monitor, with DVI and VGA inputs.
    > It has 2 problems:
    >
    > - With the existing graphics card, an ASUS Radeon A9200SE with 128MB
    > memory, it won't work at full 1920x1080 resolution with the DVI
    > connection. It will however display it when using VGA instead.
    >
    > - It's painfully slow when doing anything that involves movement using
    > the mouse. For example, scrolling, moving boxes around the desktop,
    > general navigation. Even at lower resolutions it's pretty bad, but
    > slightly better.
    >
    > I've installed the latest video driver.
    > Could it be that the video card doesn't have enough performance for the
    > monitor?

    If you open Device Manager - from system in control panel, what does it
    list for your monitors and display adapters? Please list *all* shown and
    whether they are active or not.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 17, 2009

  2. In message <Xns9C4BA89EAC2AAchucknilcar@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar wrote:
    > Jordan <> wrote in
    >
    > > I just installed an Acer X243HQ monitor, with DVI and VGA inputs.
    > > It has 2 problems:
    > >
    > > - With the existing graphics card, an ASUS Radeon A9200SE with 128MB
    > > memory, it won't work at full 1920x1080 resolution with the DVI
    > > connection. It will however display it when using VGA instead.
    > >
    > > - It's painfully slow when doing anything that involves movement using
    > > the mouse. For example, scrolling, moving boxes around the desktop,
    > > general navigation. Even at lower resolutions it's pretty bad, but
    > > slightly better.
    > >
    > > I've installed the latest video driver.
    > > Could it be that the video card doesn't have enough performance for the
    > > monitor?
    > >

    > If you open Device Manager - from system in control panel, what does it
    > list for your monitors and display adapters? Please list *all* shown and
    > whether they are active or not.

    Its active. His AGP isnt hefty enough to drive that big ass screen.
    People always *upgrade* and then wonder why things dont work.
    If it aint broke....

    ^_^

    --
    http://www.milksucks.com/pus.asp
    -James Madison

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 17, 2009

  3. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    > In message <Xns9C4BA89EAC2AAchucknilcar@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar wrote:
    >> Jordan <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I just installed an Acer X243HQ monitor, with DVI and VGA inputs.
    >> > It has 2 problems:
    >> >
    >> > - With the existing graphics card, an ASUS Radeon A9200SE with 128MB
    >> > memory, it won't work at full 1920x1080 resolution with the DVI
    >> > connection. It will however display it when using VGA instead.
    >> >
    >> > - It's painfully slow when doing anything that involves movement
    >> > using the mouse. For example, scrolling, moving boxes around the
    >> > desktop, general navigation. Even at lower resolutions it's pretty
    >> > bad, but slightly better.
    >> >
    >> > I've installed the latest video driver.
    >> > Could it be that the video card doesn't have enough performance for
    >> > the monitor?
    >> >

    >> If you open Device Manager - from system in control panel, what does it
    >> list for your monitors and display adapters? Please list *all* shown
    >> and whether they are active or not.
    >>

    > Its active. His AGP isnt hefty enough to drive that big ass screen.
    > People always *upgrade* and then wonder why things dont work.
    > If it aint broke....

    The physical screen size has *nothing* to do video slowing to such an
    extent. The fact that video is slow *may* have something to do with a
    video conflict although that usually results in fatal errors. More likely,
    his computer is loaded down with background tasks. There *is* a slight
    performance difference between different resolutions, but nothing that
    would slow down any reasonably recent computer (i.e. over 1.5Ghz single
    core).

    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 18, 2009
  4. Jordan <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<Yo78m.5713$>:

    >§ñühw¤£f wrote:
    >
    >> Its active. His AGP isnt hefty enough to drive that big ass screen.
    >> People always *upgrade* and then wonder why things dont work.
    >> If it aint broke....
    >>
    >> ^_^
    >>

    >The old monitor died. But I take your point, I went big, not knowing
    >this could be an issue. Just saw the card was supposed to do the
    >1920x1080 and thought it'd be OK.
    >
    >Jordan

    Get a card from a local shop and tell them whats up. That way when
    things go south you can call them and ask what you're doing wrong.

    ^_^

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 18, 2009
  5. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Jordan <> wrote in

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> If you open Device Manager - from system in control panel, what does it
    >> list for your monitors and display adapters? Please list *all* shown
    >> and whether they are active or not.
    >>

    > The Acer monitor doesn't need drivers, it tells me.
    > For the graphics card:

    Well, you might blow it if you don't set it to something that matches it's
    vertical and horizontal refresh rate, but otherwise that's generally true.

    > ASUS RADEON A9200SE
    > Driver files:

    <snip>
    > They all have a "tick" icon
    >
    > There's a "Roll Back Driver" button, which I might try if all else
    > fails.

    No, I meant only what is listed as graphic cards/monitors. Not the files
    they use.The icons names shown beside the icons as soon as you open monitors
    or display adapters and if any have a yellow or red circle beside them.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 18, 2009
  6. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Jordan <> wrote in

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> No, I meant only what is listed as graphic cards/monitors. Not the
    >> files they use.The icons names shown beside the icons as soon as you
    >> open monitors or display adapters and if any have a yellow or red
    >> circle beside them.
    >>

    > Oh, it just says ASUS RADEON A9200SE for the card, and "Plug and Play
    > Monitor" for the screen. Both are "working properly".
    >
    > I think there's something happening in the background, stealing
    > resources. Nothing clearly amiss in the Task Manager Processes though.

    Not meaning to sound trollish, but that last statement is meaningless.
    Nothing amiss only means that *you* don't see anything you don't expect.
    Whether this means you see nothing using any system resources or not. The
    only true test if this is the cause (personally I think it is now that we
    know you don't have a driver problem) is to go into msconfig, disable
    *everything* is startup and restart. Then see if you still have to
    slowdown. If you do, then trojans or malware are the next thing to think
    about, otherwise turning on tasks one by one until the system starts to
    get slow can be done. However none are required for normal windows
    operation. I only run a firewall myself.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 19, 2009