Re: New Mandate! "On the road"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by otter, Jul 16, 2012.

  1. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jul 15, 1:53 pm, SI Committee <>
    wrote:
    >      The new mandate, selected from the May "request" is:
    >
    >                         On the Road.
    >
    >      Whether "street", travel, or along your road to work, take
    >    advantage of the summer to capture the essential "Road" photo.

    I didn't take it, but here it is:
    http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2006/11/19/books/19campb.html
    otter, Jul 16, 2012

  2. otter

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 21:43:23 -0700 (PDT), otter
    <> wrote:

    >On Jul 15, 1:53 pm, SI Committee <>
    >wrote:
    >>      The new mandate, selected from the May "request" is:
    >>
    >>                         On the Road.
    >>
    >>      Whether "street", travel, or along your road to work, take
    >>    advantage of the summer to capture the essential "Road" photo.

    >I didn't take it, but here it is:
    >http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2006/11/19/books/19campb.html

    Hmmm. When I see "On the Road", I think of Kerouac, not Leary. If
    the mandate was "Turn on, tune in, drop out", I'd think of Leary.

    Of course, "On the Road" was published in 1957 when I was in college,
    so the reference might be more meaningful to me. Leary came to
    prominence a decade or so later.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 16, 2012

  3. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jul 16, 12:23 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-07-15 22:01:11 -0700, tony cooper <> said:
    >

    > > On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 21:43:23 -0700 (PDT), otter
    > > <> wrote:

    > >> I didn't take it, but here it is:
    > >>http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2006/11/19/books/19campb.html

    > > Hmmm.  When I see "On the Road", I think of Kerouac, not Leary.  If
    > > the mandate was "Turn on, tune in, drop out", I'd think of Leary.

    > Kerouac had little to do with Leary. He would have been too far gone as
    > an alcoholic and near death when that shot was taken. However, you have
    > in that image Neil Cassady, Kerouac's friend portrayed as "Dean
    > Moriarty" a major protagonist, along with Kerouac's
    > self-characterization of "Sal Paradis" in "On The Road".
    >
    > > Of course, "On the Road" was published in 1957 when I was in college,
    > > so the reference might be more meaningful to me.  Leary came to
    > > prominence a decade or so later.

    > ...and Leary would be found with Cassady sometime between 1968-1971 and
    > their travels with Ken Kesey and his "Merry Pranksters" on  Kesey's
    > "Magic Bus". All that was documented In Tom Wolfe's "The Electric Kool
    > Aid Acid Test".

    Yeah, Cowboy Neal. Central figure of two major "Road" novels of two
    different generations. Picture taken by Allen Ginsberg, no less.

    Here's some music that goes with the picture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWFDiuY7yE4
    otter, Jul 16, 2012
  4. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/16/2012 1:01 AM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 21:43:23 -0700 (PDT), otter
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Jul 15, 1:53 pm, SI Committee <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> The new mandate, selected from the May "request" is:
    >>>
    >>> On the Road.
    >>>
    >>> Whether "street", travel, or along your road to work, take
    >>> advantage of the summer to capture the essential "Road" photo.

    >> I didn't take it, but here it is:
    >> http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2006/11/19/books/19campb.html

    > Hmmm. When I see "On the Road", I think of Kerouac, not Leary. If
    > the mandate was "Turn on, tune in, drop out", I'd think of Leary.
    >
    > Of course, "On the Road" was published in 1957 when I was in college,
    > so the reference might be more meaningful to me. Leary came to
    > prominence a decade or so later.

    Well Tony, The difference between road photography and street
    photography is ?

    However there is a difference between a road runner and a street walker.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 16, 2012
  5. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jul 16, 1:12 am, otter <> wrote:
    > On Jul 16, 12:23 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > On 2012-07-15 22:01:11 -0700, tony cooper <> said:

    > > > Hmmm.  When I see "On the Road", I think of Kerouac, not Leary.  If
    > > > the mandate was "Turn on, tune in, drop out", I'd think of Leary.

    > > Kerouac had little to do with Leary. He would have been too far gone as
    > > an alcoholic and near death when that shot was taken. However, you have
    > > in that image Neil Cassady, Kerouac's friend portrayed as "Dean
    > > Moriarty" a major protagonist, along with Kerouac's
    > > self-characterization of "Sal Paradis" in "On The Road".

    > > > Of course, "On the Road" was published in 1957 when I was in college,
    > > > so the reference might be more meaningful to me.  Leary came to
    > > > prominence a decade or so later.

    > > ...and Leary would be found with Cassady sometime between 1968-1971 and
    > > their travels with Ken Kesey and his "Merry Pranksters" on  Kesey's
    > > "Magic Bus". All that was documented In Tom Wolfe's "The Electric Kool
    > > Aid Acid Test".

    > Yeah, Cowboy Neal.  Central figure of two major "Road" novels of two
    > different generations.  Picture taken by Allen Ginsberg, no less.
    >
    > Here's some music that goes with the picture:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWFDiuY7yE4

    The relevant lyrics:

    Skippin through the lily fields I came across an empty space,
    It trembled and exploded, left a bus stop in it's place.
    The bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began,
    There was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of the bus to never ever land.
    otter, Jul 17, 2012
  6. otter

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 18:38:02 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 7/16/2012 1:01 AM, tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 21:43:23 -0700 (PDT), otter
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> I didn't take it, but here it is:
    >>> http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2006/11/19/books/19campb.html

    >> Hmmm. When I see "On the Road", I think of Kerouac, not Leary. If
    >> the mandate was "Turn on, tune in, drop out", I'd think of Leary.
    >>
    >> Of course, "On the Road" was published in 1957 when I was in college,
    >> so the reference might be more meaningful to me. Leary came to
    >> prominence a decade or so later.
    >>

    >Well Tony, The difference between road photography and street
    >photography is ?

    I have no idea of what to shoot for the road mandate, but I'd like to
    find a shot of a street walker propositioning a guy. Seems like it
    could make a good candid.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 17, 2012
  7. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/17/2012 3:14 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 18:38:02 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/16/2012 1:01 AM, tony cooper wrote:

    >>> Hmmm. When I see "On the Road", I think of Kerouac, not Leary. If
    >>> the mandate was "Turn on, tune in, drop out", I'd think of Leary.
    >>>
    >>> Of course, "On the Road" was published in 1957 when I was in college,
    >>> so the reference might be more meaningful to me. Leary came to
    >>> prominence a decade or so later.
    >>>

    >> Well Tony, The difference between road photography and street
    >> photography is ?

    > I have no idea of what to shoot for the road mandate, but I'd like to
    > find a shot of a street walker propositioning a guy. Seems like it
    > could make a good candid.

    Could the street walker be a male"
    In theory he could proposition either a guy, or a gal.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 17, 2012
  8. otter

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 12:32:50 -0700, "Frank S" <>
    wrote:

    >"tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 18:38:02 -0400, PeterN
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Well Tony, The difference between road photography and street
    >>>photography is ?

    >> I have no idea of what to shoot for the road mandate, but I'd like to
    >> find a shot of a street walker propositioning a guy. Seems like it
    >> could make a good candid.
    >>

    >You send the hooker, DanP can send his camera, I'll supply the guy and
    >depend on him to come up with a street/road. Think we can get a useful
    >picture by the deadline?

    Actually, I have set out to photograph a hooker leaning over a car
    window talking to a john. In this town, there's a stretch of Orange
    Blossom Trail where the hookers hang out to attract passing motorists.
    The problem is that I can't very well park and wait to spot one or I'd
    be labeled suspicious. If I see one, she's gone before I circle the
    block and get back.

    If I do get one, I'll geotag it so viewers will know where to go when
    visiting Orlando.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 17, 2012
  9. otter

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:42:15 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >On 7/17/2012 3:14 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 18:38:02 -0400, PeterN
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Well Tony, The difference between road photography and street
    >>> photography is ?

    >> I have no idea of what to shoot for the road mandate, but I'd like to
    >> find a shot of a street walker propositioning a guy. Seems like it
    >> could make a good candid.
    >>

    >Could the street walker be a male"
    >In theory he could proposition either a guy, or a gal.

    You've been here? The Parliament House is at one end of this stretch
    of Orange Blossom Trail.
    http://www.parliamenthouse.com/front/default.asp

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 17, 2012
  10. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/17/2012 4:05 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:42:15 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/17/2012 3:14 PM, tony cooper wrote:

    >>> I have no idea of what to shoot for the road mandate, but I'd like to
    >>> find a shot of a street walker propositioning a guy. Seems like it
    >>> could make a good candid.
    >>>

    >> Could the street walker be a male"
    >> In theory he could proposition either a guy, or a gal.

    > You've been here? The Parliament House is at one end of this stretch
    > of Orange Blossom Trail.
    > http://www.parliamenthouse.com/front/default.asp

    <G>
    Just a comment on the times and universality of certain social interactions.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 17, 2012
  11. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/17/2012 4:42 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-07-17 12:42:15 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 7/17/2012 3:14 PM, tony cooper wrote:

    >>> I have no idea of what to shoot for the road mandate, but I'd like to
    >>> find a shot of a street walker propositioning a guy. Seems like it
    >>> could make a good candid.
    >>>

    >> Could the street walker be a male"
    >> In theory he could proposition either a guy, or a gal.

    > Why? The same could apply to a female "Street Professional".
    > It is going to be $$$ & desire for those $$$ that will make the decision
    > regarding whether the client is male or female.

    That was my point.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 17, 2012
  12. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/17/2012 5:08 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-07-17 13:50:27 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 7/17/2012 4:42 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    <snip>

    >>> Why? The same could apply to a female "Street Professional".
    >>> It is going to be $$$ & desire for those $$$ that will make the decision
    >>> regarding whether the client is male or female.
    >>>

    >> That was my point.

    > I didn't get that from your remark. You seemed to imply that if the
    > street walker was male, he could proposition guy or gal.
    >
    > My comment implies that gender, and sexual orientation of the pro is
    > irrelevant when it comes to whether the client is male or female. $$$ is
    > going to determine the rules of engagement.

    Even in context of my response to Tony's comment?

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 17, 2012
  13. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/17/2012 6:16 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-07-17 14:47:54 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 7/17/2012 5:08 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    >> <snip>

    >>> I didn't get that from your remark. You seemed to imply that if the
    >>> street walker was male, he could proposition guy or gal.

    >> Even in context of my response to Tony's comment?

    >>> My comment implies that gender, and sexual orientation of the pro is
    >>> irrelevant when it comes to whether the client is male or female. $$$ is
    >>> going to determine the rules of engagement.
    >>>

    > Yup!

    I don't think we disagree on your statement.
    My response should have been as above:

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 18, 2012
  14. otter

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:08:05 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-07-17 13:50:27 -0700, PeterN <> said:

    >>> Why? The same could apply to a female "Street Professional".
    >>> It is going to be $$$ & desire for those $$$ that will make the decision
    >>> regarding whether the client is male or female.
    >>>

    >> That was my point.

    >I didn't get that from your remark. You seemed to imply that if the
    >street walker was male, he could proposition guy or gal.
    >
    >My comment implies that gender, and sexual orientation of the pro is
    >irrelevant when it comes to whether the client is male or female. $$$
    >is going to determine the rules of engagement.

    The Orlando newspaper occasionally carries a bit about a sting where
    female prostitutes were arrested for solicitation of male undercover
    cops, males were arrested for solicitation of female undercover cops,
    or males soliciting male cops. Never noticed one about male
    prostitutes soliciting female undercover cops or female on female.

    Once in a while, though, the "female" prostitute turns out to be a
    male.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 18, 2012
  15. otter

    Robert Coe Guest

    wrote:
    : On 7/16/2012 1:01 AM, tony cooper wrote:
    : > On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 21:43:23 -0700 (PDT), otter
    : > <> wrote:
    : >
    : >> On Jul 15, 1:53 pm, SI Committee <>
    : >> wrote:
    : >>> The new mandate, selected from the May "request" is:
    : >>>
    : >>> On the Road.
    : >>>
    : >>> Whether "street", travel, or along your road to work, take
    : >>> advantage of the summer to capture the essential "Road" photo.
    : >>
    : >>
    :
    : Well Tony, The difference between road photography and street
    : photography is ?
    :
    : However there is a difference between a road runner and a street walker.

    Well, there's little difference between a road and a street, but considerable
    difference between a runner (a longish, narrowish rug) and a walker (a device
    to keep an old geezer upright, so that he won't trip and fall on a runner).

    Note that we're gibbering like this because nobody seems to want to comment on
    this month's (rather good) crop of Shoot-In pictures. Full disclosure: I won't
    either, probably. Martha and I are off on Thursday to spend the weekend with
    our daughter and see their new house and dog. ("On the road", ya know.)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jul 18, 2012
  16. otter

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 21:02:25 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >Note that we're gibbering like this because nobody seems to want to comment on
    >this month's (rather good) crop of Shoot-In pictures. Full disclosure: I won't
    >either, probably. Martha and I are off on Thursday to spend the weekend with
    >our daughter and see their new house and dog. ("On the road", ya know.)

    I will, but I'm not going to be first again. I have a reason.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 18, 2012
  17. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/17/2012 9:02 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 18:38:02 -0400, PeterN <>
    > wrote:
    > : On 7/16/2012 1:01 AM, tony cooper wrote:
    > : > On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 21:43:23 -0700 (PDT), otter
    > : > <> wrote:
    > : >
    > : >> On Jul 15, 1:53 pm, SI Committee <>
    > : >> wrote:
    > : >>> The new mandate, selected from the May "request" is:
    > : >>>
    > : >>> On the Road.
    > : >>>
    > : >>> Whether "street", travel, or along your road to work, take
    > : >>> advantage of the summer to capture the essential "Road" photo.
    > : >>
    > : >>
    > : >> I didn't take it, but here it is:
    > : >> http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2006/11/19/books/19campb.html
    > : >
    > : > Hmmm. When I see "On the Road", I think of Kerouac, not Leary. If
    > : > the mandate was "Turn on, tune in, drop out", I'd think of Leary.
    > : >
    > : > Of course, "On the Road" was published in 1957 when I was in college,
    > : > so the reference might be more meaningful to me. Leary came to
    > : > prominence a decade or so later.
    > : >
    > :
    > : Well Tony, The difference between road photography and street
    > : photography is ?
    > :
    > : However there is a difference between a road runner and a street walker.
    >
    > Well, there's little difference between a road and a street, but considerable
    > difference between a runner (a longish, narrowish rug) and a walker (a device
    > to keep an old geezer upright, so that he won't trip and fall on a runner).
    >
    > Note that we're gibbering like this because nobody seems to want to comment on
    > this month's (rather good) crop of Shoot-In pictures. Full disclosure: I won't
    > either, probably. Martha and I are off on Thursday to spend the weekend with
    > our daughter and see their new house and dog. ("On the road", ya know.)

    Yes! I agree that this crop is generally pretty good.

    But, I do disagree, I thought Walker was a Hall of Fame football player,
    and runner a type of high speed boat used for smuggling booze during
    prohibition.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 18, 2012
  18. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/18/2012 11:34 AM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-07-18 08:22:43 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 7/17/2012 9:02 PM, Robert Coe wrote:

    >>> Note that we're gibbering like this because nobody seems to want to
    >>> comment on
    >>> this month's (rather good) crop of Shoot-In pictures. Full
    >>> disclosure: I won't
    >>> either, probably. Martha and I are off on Thursday to spend the
    >>> weekend with
    >>> our daughter and see their new house and dog. ("On the road", ya know.)
    >>>

    >> Yes! I agree that this crop is generally pretty good.
    >>
    >> But, I do disagree, I thought Walker was a Hall of Fame football
    >> player, and runner a type of high speed boat used for smuggling booze
    >> during prohibition.

    > Chuck Norris would claim that Walker was a "Texas Ranger", others might
    > think horse, or astronaut. Others might think of Walker as being
    > contained in a bottle with a red, blue, black, or gold label.
    >
    > The boat would be a "rum runner".

    But rum wasn't the only booze it carried.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 18, 2012
  19. otter

    peternew Guest

    On 7/18/2012 12:20 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-07-18 09:02:30 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 7/18/2012 11:34 AM, Savageduck wrote:

    >>> Chuck Norris would claim that Walker was a "Texas Ranger", others might
    >>> think horse, or astronaut. Others might think of Walker as being
    >>> contained in a bottle with a red, blue, black, or gold label.
    >>>
    >>> The boat would be a "rum runner".
    >>>

    >> But rum wasn't the only booze it carried.

    > True, but "Canadian Whiskey Runner" just didn't trip off the tongue.

    IIRC The rum runners were powered with 2 12 cyl engines that developed
    over 500 horse power, each. These were converted aircraft engines that
    were purchased as WWI surplus.
    Those boats were manufactured by the same company that made them for the
    Coast Guard. The civilian version was just a tad faster.

    --
    Peter
    peternew, Jul 18, 2012