Re: New install: - Firefox won't import Netscape 7.2 bookmarks

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by gnu / linux, Dec 15, 2008.

  1. gnu / linux

    gnu / linux Guest

    On Dec 15, 12:50 pm, (Crash) wrote:
    > Firefox won't import Netscape 7.2 bookmarks.
    > This kinda leaves me dead in the water.
    >
    > I just now installed Firefox, and it didn't
    > import bookmarks on installation as I'd checked,
    > nor does the import wizaerd work.
    > I tried import wizard, and all I have now
    > are two empty from-Netscape folders in bookmarks.
    >  (I'm guessing it failed cuz I didn't use "standard"
    >  default Dir tree on Netscape nor Firefox's install?)
    >
    > Can I manually import them? ...or what?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --
    >
    >  When one gains a political certainty akin to
    >  a loyal sports fan, one has achieved the final
    >  tranquility of servitude, a joyous slavery.
    >
    >      "If ye love wealth better than liberty,
    >     the tranquility of servitude better than
    >     the animating contest of freedom,
    >     go home from us in peace.
    >     We ask not your counsels or arms.
    >        Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    >     May your chains set lightly upon you,
    >     and may posterity forget that ye were
    >     our countrymen."
    >               - Samuel Adams,  August 1, 1776

    Can you export (Netscape) bookmarks to HTML file then import that file
    to Firefox ?
    gnu / linux, Dec 15, 2008

  2. Crash wrote:
> [...]

    > profile. See Recovering important data from an old profile if you
    > need more help copying the data or if you only want to copy
    > selected information.
    > Firefox 2:
    >
    > Migrating from Netscape to Firefox
    >
    > If you are migrating from Netscape Navigator and have recently
    > installed Firefox on your computer, moving your Netscape
    > information is pretty straight forward, and very similar to
    > moving Firefox profiles
    > Important: Following these instructions will replace your Firefox
    > profile with your Netscape profile, including bookmarks and all
    > other data and settings.
    >
    > 1. From the menu at the top of the Firefox windowbar, select
    > FileFirefox and then select the ExitQuit FirefoxQuit menu item.
    > 2. Go to your Netscape profile folder.
    > * For Netscape profile locations, see the Netscape
    > release notes.
    > 3. Move up to the \Navigator\ folder, where the file
    > profiles.ini is located.
    > 4. Select both the following items, right-clickhold down the
    > Ctrl key while you click on them, and choose Copy 2 items.
    > * \Profiles
    > * profiles.ini
    > 5. Next, go to your Firefox profile folder.
    > * For Firefox profile locations see the Profiles
    > article.
    > 6. Move up to the \Firefox\ folder, where the file
    > profiles.ini is located.
    > 7. Right-clickHold down the Ctrl key while you click on an
    > empty area within the \Firefox\ folder, and select Paste items.
    > * You may be asked if you want to replace files that
    > already exist. Choose YesReplace.
    >

    > Please rate your experience with solving your problem on
    > support.mozilla.com from 1 (very unsatisfied) to 5 (very
    > satisfied).
    > 1 2 3 4 5
    > Did this article solve a problem you had with Firefox?
    >
    > ====================
    >
    > It mindlessly slapped my "work of art" onto the
    > existing Bookmarks like a coyote's carcass on
    > a barb wire fence.
    >
    > If I had it to again, I'd export Ff's then delete
    > it all first. Debone that puppy, like a Sunday newspaper.
    >
    > It's too bad Moz had to make Firefox look
    > like a cheap toy with what they chose to load
    > into bookmarks. Britney, Paris, and unapologetic
    > mindless plastic consumerism. Just like MS, it's the
    > web for lamers. I doubt attempting to out-MS MS
    > and AOL is a real bright strategy.
    >
    > When I clicked on one Ff bookmark promising me a tutorial,
    > I thought I'd landed inside a People Magazine.
    > How cool is that. Way on-topic.
    >
    > I started deleting the buttons on personal toolbar
    > as fast as I could, then I figured I'd better save
    > a couple as a template. So Ff still has a plastic
    > oder to match the shiny green plastic Back button,
    > and I'll put it on hold till after the holidays.
    > (I sure hope that button can be replaced!)
    >
    > I got to thinking about the look and feel
    > of Netscape 7. A cross between a John Deere

    if you liked the look and feel of Netscape 7, then
    maybe you should have looked at SeaMonkey. It picks up
    where Netscape 7.x left off:
    http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 16, 2008