Re: New Horizons

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by JaR, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. JaR

    JaR Guest

    "Eric" <> wrote in message
    > I am looking a program through New horizons that Get me 5
    > Certs. MCSA, A+, NET+, CCNA and Security+. Cost: 15000+.
    >
    > Question: is it worth it? According to Dice.com this
    > combination of certs will net 70 grand/YR or better.

    5-6 Years of experience + those certs MIGHT get you into that salary level
    if you are (a) highly skilled and (b) lucky. Certs alone will not get you
    much. In my area, they may get you in the door for an inteview for a min
    wage, entry-level position.

    Sorry, been there, done that, pawned the t-shirt, and stayed with my current
    job.

    --
    J.R. Jones
    A+ Net+ MCSA MCNGP#..............42

    JaR, Sep 11, 2003

  2. JaR

    mchappell Guest

    I am an MCSA and also Certified Lotus Professional
    Systems Admin, with about 4 years experience all said,
    and I'm making low 40s. While it's true that certs do
    not guarentee salary or even a job, they do help a bit,
    and may possibly be the deciding factor of choosing you
    over a non-certified individual. You will definately get
    more hits on your resume, however you need to be prepared
    to demonstrate your knowledge or you'll hang yourself by
    own petards.

    I attended New Horizons for my MCSA courses and it cost
    me about $5500 (Courses 2151,2152,2126,and 2153 plus
    exams and MeasureUp test software) I am very happy with
    the results and would consider using them again for
    training. Make sure you get an experienced account
    manager. I had one who was great, but then was
    downsized, so I got stuck with this retard who had no
    effing clue what he was doing. I eventually complained
    loud enough and got another account manager who was
    outstanding.

    Good luck

    mchappell, Sep 11, 2003

  3. JaR

    R Adorno Guest

    I just started the MCSA track. Taking it at a community college. Cost is not
    a factor for me...my job pays for it. I cant believe mchappell only makes
    low 40's
    with MCSA + exp. I make 55g and don't have any certs in anything. Just exp
    in
    working in a bunny suit in a "cleanroom". Maybe MCSA is not the way to go.
    Any comments??

    R Adorno, Sep 13, 2003
  4. Geographical area makes a very big difference in salary, don't forget. I've
    seen $30K salary differences in the same IT job between Mid-West and the
    West coast cities.

    Go West, young man!

    James D. Murray, Sep 18, 2003
  5. JaR