Re: New HD

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Howdy!

    "No Spam" <> wrote in message
    > Could someone be kind enough to advise my how to do the following.
    >
    > Currently I have a 12 Gig HD. I want to buy another (40Gb?) and use the

    new
    > one as the master and the old one as a slave. My main problem is how to
    > install WIN XP on the new one and make it the one it boots from. Could
    > someone give me an idiots guide etc.

    If current disk format = FAT32, then:

    Take diskette or CD that comes with the retail packaged HD.

    Mount new drive as master, old drive as slave.

    Boot off of diskette or CD, and run the "Copy All Files"
    utility.

    End If.

    If current disk format = NTFS, then:

    Borrow or buy a copy of either Symantec GHOST or PowerQuest's
    DriveImage.

    Install same, and make bootable diskettes per instructions
    provided with same.

    Mount new drive as master, old drive as slave.

    Boot off of bootable diskette made above, run program to clone
    old disk to new disk.

    End IF.

    No problem at all with appropriate software.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 9, 2003