Re: New Encryption Options - Plextor's SecuRec Feature

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Pete, Aug 27, 2003.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    On or around Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:22:03 -0400, Anthony PDC
    <antdeclan_at_hotmail.com>, wrote :

    >Grateful for observations as this technologly looks quite handy for
    >securing CD-ROMs sent through to post etc

    Hi,

    Couldn't PGP do the same thing ?

    Bob wants to send Alice an encrypted CD-ROM. Bob encrypts files using his
    and Alice's public keys, and burns them to disc.

    Alice receives CD-ROM, copies files to hard disk and decrypts them with her
    private key.

    Regards,

    Pete.

    --

    PGP Key ID : 0x1654E187
    Pete, Aug 27, 2003

  2. Pete

    Anthony PDC Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 05:15:34 +0100, Pete <>
    wrote:

    >On or around Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:22:03 -0400, Anthony PDC
    ><antdeclan_at_hotmail.com>, wrote :
    >
    >>Grateful for observations as this technologly looks quite handy for
    >>securing CD-ROMs sent through to post etc

    >Hi,
    >
    >Couldn't PGP do the same thing ?
    >
    >Bob wants to send Alice an encrypted CD-ROM. Bob encrypts files using his
    >and Alice's public keys, and burns them to disc.
    >
    >Alice receives CD-ROM, copies files to hard disk and decrypts them with her
    >private key.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Pete.

    Hi Pete,

    You are of course correct, in principle. However, for people who just
    want to burn and get it done securely, w/o having to delve into the
    (for many I don't doubt) esoteric realms of public/private key
    encryption, it might be an attractive option. However, I know what
    *I'd* do if it turns out that SecuRec is a POS! :)

    Regards,

    Anthony

    Asus P4P800/XP
    Anthony PDC, Aug 28, 2003