Re: new DSL pricing

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by samg, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. samg

    samg Guest

    samg, Aug 22, 2003

  2. samg

    Who is this Guest

    In article <Xns93E058829137Csamg@203.97.37.6>, samg <>
    wrote:

    > mdew <> wrote in news:p:
    >
    > > Telecom doesnt know how to run a proper DSL service.
    > >
    > > http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=2915&page=index
    > >

    > one word : pathetic.

    Yep, pathetic, and the sooner Walker wireless, Clear/telstra and others
    are in the game the better.
    I understand that the government may force the local loop to be opened
    up later this year....if this is so...Telstra, you have a new customer!

    Who is this, Aug 22, 2003

  3. samg

    wrote:

    > mdew <> wrote in news:p:
    >
    > > Telecom doesnt know how to run a proper DSL service.
    > >
    > > http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=2915&page=index
    > >

    > one word : pathetic.

    Must check to see if they have "fixed" their pricing problems. I laid a
    complaint with the fair trade commission and the agreed with me,
    Telecoms advertsing and information on their web page was highly
    misleading....

    Who is this, Aug 22, 2003
  4. On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:14:02 +1200, Who is this wrote:

    > Must check to see if they have "fixed" their pricing problems. I laid a
    > complaint with the fair trade commission and the agreed with me, Telecoms
    > advertsing and information on their web page was highly misleading....

    Yet there waas no news coverage whatsoever, right?

    a few years ago, TV3 and TV1 both announced that there would coverage of
    ministry of commerce fines levied against Telecom on the 6pm news.

    6pm rolled around, no coverage.

    Talks with the reporters later on revealed Telecom had killed the stories
    by threatening to pull their adverts if they were run....

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 23, 2003
  5. samg

    samg Guest

    Who is this <> wrote in

    > I understand that the government may force the local loop to be opened
    > up later this year.

    this is the key to cheaper internet access in NZ but telecom is going to go
    all out to prevent it from happening.

    samg, Aug 23, 2003
  6. samg

    Ian Boag Guest

    If I think hard enough about this "opening of the local loop" it will
    probably make sense.

    Telecom NZ is a public company. it owns the local loop. We (the govt
    of the day) sold it to them. So the local loop belongs to Telecom NZ.
    With hindsight, it might not have been a good idea to make TNZ the
    sole owner, but it was done.

    One would therefore assume that this "opening" process won't involve
    any form of theft. Telecom will be compensated etc etc.

    One of the major benficiaries will be Telstra/Clear. They understand
    all that stuff about the benefits of an open local loop because of how
    they work that way in Aus ......... (?)

    ??????????????

    Ian Boag, Aug 24, 2003
  7. samg

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 00:42:11 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    > Talks with the reporters later on revealed Telecom had killed the
    > stories by threatening to pull their adverts if they were run.

    The News reporting in this country is not unbiased. The fact that all NZ
    TV networks are commercial puts paid to that.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Nov 21, 2003
  8. samg

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <pan.2003.08.22.23.01.33.904982@TRACKER>,
    lid says...
    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 00:42:11 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    >
    > > Talks with the reporters later on revealed Telecom had killed the
    > > stories by threatening to pull their adverts if they were run.

    > The News reporting in this country is not unbiased. The fact that all NZ
    > TV networks are commercial puts paid to that.

    Hogwash. One is government owned. There are other regional networks and
    even hobbyist ones.

    Mainlander, Nov 21, 2003