Re: New Best Buy

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Peter, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Just wait until you have to ask an employee to help you find a DVD. You're
    better off on your own.

    Peter, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Peter

    Tarkus Guest

    On 3/31/2004 4:43:58 PM, Peter wrote:

    > Just wait until you have to ask an employee to help you find a DVD.
    > You're better off on your own.

    Why would you need to ask someone to help you find a DVD? They're in
    alphabetical order. Frankly, I'm annoyed when THEY ask ME if I need help
    finding something.
    --
    "Never before has the beauty of the sexual act been so crassly
    exploited!"

    Now playing: "Rick Wakeman - Into The Future"

    Tarkus, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Peter

    Justin Guest

    Tarkus wrote on [Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:06:55 -0800]:
    > On 3/31/2004 4:43:58 PM, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Just wait until you have to ask an employee to help you find a DVD.
    >> You're better off on your own.

    > Why would you need to ask someone to help you find a DVD? They're in
    > alphabetical order. Frankly, I'm annoyed when THEY ask ME if I need help
    > finding something.

    No, they're in poorly defined categories, in special featured areas, and
    in alphabetical order that has been shuffled by the browsers.

    Justin, Apr 1, 2004
  4. Peter

    Impmon Guest

    On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:06:55 -0800, Tarkus <> wrote:

    >Why would you need to ask someone to help you find a DVD? They're in
    >alphabetical order.

    Yes they are but they are sorted by category first and some DVDs are
    often filed in odd places. I had some trouble looking for a movie (I
    think it was "Scary Movie" it was last Summer) and didn't find any in
    Comedy section. Bugged someone who then looked up on the computer and
    found the DVD in Horror section.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    Impmon, Apr 1, 2004
  5. Peter

    Tarkus Guest

    On 3/31/2004 6:30:53 PM, Impmon wrote:

    > On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:06:55 -0800, Tarkus <> wrote:
    >
    >>Why would you need to ask someone to help you find a DVD? They're in
    >>alphabetical order.

    > Yes they are but they are sorted by category first and some DVDs are
    > often filed in odd places. I had some trouble looking for a movie (I
    > think it was "Scary Movie" it was last Summer) and didn't find any in
    > Comedy section. Bugged someone who then looked up on the computer and
    > found the DVD in Horror section.

    True, movies aren't always categorized where you think they should be,
    but it's not like they have dozens of categories. Most movies fit in two
    or three categories at the most. And even if I had to look in every
    single category they have (what is it, about six or seven?), it would
    still be faster than asking for help (even if they were competent).
    --
    "The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind
    you from the truth."

    Now playing: "Rick Wakeman - Into The Future"

    Tarkus, Apr 1, 2004

  6. > Frankly, I'm annoyed when THEY ask ME if I need help
    > finding something.
    > --

    My fav is when they ask, look it up, say it's in the back, then won't go get
    it.

    ominousspiritous, Apr 1, 2004
  7. Peter

    Cernovog Guest

    On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:06:55 -0500, Tarkus wrote
    (in message <ybh9zfk9txzl$9.com>):

    > Why would you need to ask someone to help you find a DVD? They're in
    > alphabetical order.

    I was looking for a movie that had *just* come out with the Tuesday releases.
    It was a pretty big movie... (I can't quite remember what it was). I looked
    everywhere and couldn't find it. I was annoyed that there wasn't anyone
    around to help. Finally, I found it hiding on one of the endcaps.

    There were NO copies in with the rest of the movies, just the ones on the
    display.

    Cernovog, Apr 1, 2004
  8. Peter

    Impmon Guest

    On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:04:41 -0800, Tarkus <> wrote:

    >And even if I had to look in every
    >single category they have (what is it, about six or seven?), it would
    >still be faster than asking for help (even if they were competent).

    Faster? You haven't tried Flint Best Buy. Assuming a customer didn't
    put DVD out of order and you scan only by certain letter, it would
    take you at least 15 minutes to find the right category. And then
    there's a chance Best Buy employee arrainged the DVD out of order (ie
    instead of putting both Star Wars under 's' they were putting Attack
    of the Clone under 'a' and Phantom Menance under 'p')

    Of course there's this matter of actually finding someone who would
    help. Most would rather hang around the cameras, TV, appliances, and
    computers.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    Impmon, Apr 1, 2004
  9. Peter

    Eric R. Guest

    Tarkus <> wrote in message news:<ybh9zfk9txzl$9.com>...

    > Frankly, I'm annoyed when THEY ask ME if I need help
    > finding something.

    God help you if you wonder over into the television section, or any
    part of the store with expensive stuff. Suddenly you feel like you're
    in "Dawn of the Dead," mobbed by blue-shirted zombies moaning "Can I
    help you?" and "Don't you want the service plan with that?"

    At least they're still not as bad as the sleazebags at Circuit City.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Apr 1, 2004
  10. Peter

    Justin Guest

    Cernovog wrote on [Thu, 1 Apr 2004 2:31:46 -0500]:
    > On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:06:55 -0500, Tarkus wrote
    > (in message <ybh9zfk9txzl$9.com>):
    >
    >> Why would you need to ask someone to help you find a DVD? They're in
    >> alphabetical order.

    > I was looking for a movie that had *just* come out with the Tuesday releases.
    > It was a pretty big movie... (I can't quite remember what it was). I looked
    > everywhere and couldn't find it. I was annoyed that there wasn't anyone
    > around to help. Finally, I found it hiding on one of the endcaps.
    >
    > There were NO copies in with the rest of the movies, just the ones on the
    > display.

    Often I can only find a copy at the front of the store ... Or in the
    middle of an aisle near the computer section

    Justin, Apr 1, 2004

    > > Frankly, I'm annoyed when THEY ask ME if I need help
    > > finding something.

    > God help you if you wonder over into the television section, or any
    > part of the store with expensive stuff. Suddenly you feel like you're
    > in "Dawn of the Dead," mobbed by blue-shirted zombies moaning "Can I
    > help you?" and "Don't you want the service plan with that?"
    >
    > At least they're still not as bad as the sleazebags at Circuit City.
    >
    > -Eric

    I made a mistake one day of going into Circuit City while wearing
    a red, short-sleeve shirt. Couple "other" customers asked me where
    things were and I had to fight with myself to admit (brag?) that I
    didn't
    work there. Imagine the fun I could've had were I a dishonest person?

    Adrian

    Adrian S. Kuiper, Apr 1, 2004
  12. Peter

    Eric Guest

    <<God help you if you wonder over into the television section, or any
    part of the store with expensive stuff. Suddenly you feel like you're in
    "Dawn of the Dead," mobbed by blue-shirted zombies moaning "Can I help
    you?" and "Don't you want the service plan with that?" >>

    I did that the other day, and I couldn't seem to get it through the
    sales reps (plural) head that I was just browsing. I remember reading
    somehere -- possibly in-store -- that their reps don't make any
    commission off sales or service plans, but you certainly couldn't prove
    that by me!

    Eric

    Eric, Apr 1, 2004
  13. Peter

    Tarkus Guest

    On 4/1/2004 3:23:27 AM, Impmon wrote:

    > Faster? You haven't tried Flint Best Buy. Assuming a customer didn't
    > put DVD out of order and you scan only by certain letter, it would
    > take you at least 15 minutes to find the right category. And then
    > there's a chance Best Buy employee arrainged the DVD out of order (ie
    > instead of putting both Star Wars under 's' they were putting Attack
    > of the Clone under 'a' and Phantom Menance under 'p')

    If a customer put a DVD out of order, I'm not sure how even the most
    competent employee could help you there. That is, unless they have some
    type of rare psychic powers.

    Similarly, if it was put out of order by a Best Buy employee, I wouldn't
    expect one of the other employees to be able to help me find it, unless
    they knew of the misordering.

    > Of course there's this matter of actually finding someone who would
    > help. Most would rather hang around the cameras, TV, appliances, and
    > computers.

    Unfortunately, we don't have that problem here in our Vegas stores.
    They're always bugging me, asking if I need help finding something.
    --
    "I'm sorry, Wendy, but I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five
    days and doesn't die."

    Now playing: the radio

    Tarkus, Apr 1, 2004
  14. Peter

    Tarkus Guest

    On 4/1/2004 5:52:09 AM, Eric R. wrote:

    > Tarkus <> wrote in message news:<ybh9zfk9txzl$9.com>...
    >
    >> Frankly, I'm annoyed when THEY ask ME if I need help
    >> finding something.

    > God help you if you wonder over into the television section, or any
    > part of the store with expensive stuff. Suddenly you feel like you're
    > in "Dawn of the Dead," mobbed by blue-shirted zombies moaning "Can I
    > help you?" and "Don't you want the service plan with that?"

    It could be worse. Imagine if they worked on commission.
    --
    "The thing about a shark, it's got lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a
    doll's eyes. When it comes at you it doesn't seem to be livin'... until

    Now playing: "Unknown - Track 1"

    Tarkus, Apr 1, 2004
  15. Peter

    Cernovog Guest

    On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 8:52:09 -0500, Eric R. wrote
    (in message <>):

    > God help you if you wonder over into the television section, or any
    > part of the store with expensive stuff. Suddenly you feel like you're
    > in "Dawn of the Dead," mobbed by blue-shirted zombies moaning "Can I
    > help you?" and "Don't you want the service plan with that?"

    My experience is just the opposite. Usually, the store reps are gathered
    together in an aisle lolligagging. In fact, they can get quite rowdy and
    disruptive.

    Cernovog, Apr 1, 2004
  16. Peter

    jayembee Guest

    Impmon <> wrote:

    > Tarkus <> wrote:
    >
    >> And even if I had to look in every single category they
    >> have (what is it, about six or seven?),

    Let's see...going by the local Best Buy I usually shop at...

    Action, Comedy, Drama, Disney, Family (non-Disney), Music &
    Musicals, Anime, SF/Horror, Special Interest, Bargain Discs,
    TV, and Box Sets. That's an even dozen.

    > it would still be faster than asking for help (even if
    > they were competent).
    >
    > Faster? You haven't tried Flint Best Buy. Assuming a
    > customer didn't put DVD out of order and you scan only
    > by certain letter, it would take you at least 15 minutes
    > to find the right category. And then there's a chance
    > Best Buy employee arrainged the DVD out of order (ie
    > instead of putting both Star Wars under 's' they were
    > putting Attack of the Clone under 'a' and Phantom Menance
    > under 'p')

    And that's assuming they have the disc categorized correctly.
    The Basil Rathbone Holmes Set 1 is filed under "TV" (along
    with the Jeremy Brett sets), while Set 2 is filed in "Box
    Sets". The first PRIME SUSPECT series set is filed under
    "Drama", while the next two are under "TV". And for reasons
    known only to God (and I have doubts about Him, too) I found
    GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS under "TV".

    (And all these match the categories printed on the price
    sticker, so it's not a case of someone just putting them
    on the wrong shelves.)

    > Of course there's this matter of actually finding someone
    > who would help. Most would rather hang around the cameras,
    > TV, appliances, and computers.

    As with so many other things, they cluster around and bug
    the shit out of you offering to help when you don't want it.
    But then they disappear, so that when you *do* need one,
    they're nowhere to be found.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Apr 2, 2004
  17. Peter

    Tarkus Guest

    On 4/1/2004 4:18:24 PM, jayembee wrote:

    > Impmon <> wrote:
    >
    >> Tarkus <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> And even if I had to look in every single category they
    >>> have (what is it, about six or seven?),

    > Let's see...going by the local Best Buy I usually shop at...
    >
    > Action, Comedy, Drama, Disney, Family (non-Disney), Music &
    > Musicals, Anime, SF/Horror, Special Interest, Bargain Discs,
    > TV, and Box Sets. That's an even dozen.

    Okay, but you can eliminate at least half of those from virtually any
    DVD. If they have "Airplane!" in Music & Musicals, for example, and I
    can't find it, that's their loss. I'll get it elsewhere. I'm not going
    to worry about things being that much out of place.
    --
    "Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What
    if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the

    Now playing: the radio

    Tarkus, Apr 2, 2004
  18. Peter

    Eric R. Guest

    Cernovog <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > My experience is just the opposite. Usually, the store reps are gathered
    > together in an aisle lolligagging. In fact, they can get quite rowdy and
    > disruptive.

    I see that too, at the front registers. I get mobbed when I'm trying
    to shop. Then when I go to check out, there's one or two lousy
    registers open with about a half dozen blue-shirts standing around
    bullshitting.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Apr 5, 2004
  19. Peter

    JWB Guest

    > > My experience is just the opposite. Usually, the store reps are gathered
    > > together in an aisle lolligagging. In fact, they can get quite rowdy and
    > > disruptive.

    > I see that too, at the front registers. I get mobbed when I'm trying
    > to shop. Then when I go to check out, there's one or two lousy
    > registers open with about a half dozen blue-shirts standing around
    > bullshitting.

    I'm amazed at that too. They have an army of clerks hanging around, and one
    register open.

    JWB, Apr 5, 2004
  20. Peter

    Mark McGee Guest

    I think it depends on the store and store manager. There is a Best Buy near
    me where the staff not only help customers, but when you're waiting in line
    for the registers, there's someone there to guide you to a free register and
    make sure the line is kept moving.

    Mark McGee, Apr 5, 2004