re networking help

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by c_bcan, Mar 12, 2005.

  1. c_bcan

    c_bcan Guest

    HELP

    I HAVE A TWO PCS BOTH WITH WIFI CARDS IN BOTH SEEM TO WORK, THEY PICK UP TWO
    CONNECTIONS ABC123 AND LINKSYS.

    THESE MUST BE NAYBOURS OR SOMETHING

    I'VE CALLED MY TWO - UP AND DOWN, WHEN SERCHING FOR AVALABLE CONNECTIONS I
    CANT FIND EITHER.

    I'VE DONE THE WIRELESS NETWORK WIZZARD AND THE HOME NETWORK WIZZARD; I'M
    RUNNING XP HOME ON ONE PC AND XP PRO ON THE OTHER.

    I ALSO HAVE A WIRELESS IPAQ THAT ONLY FINDS ABC123 AND LINKSYS.

    HELP
    c_bcan, Mar 12, 2005

  2. c_bcan

    DLink Guru Guest

    A very confusing post I must say. Are you not seeing your network? Is that
    the problem?

    You have 2 PCs with wireless cards. What Models? Also are you using a
    router?(What Model) or trying to setup an AD-HOC network?

    Robert...

    DLink Guru, Mar 12, 2005

  3. c_bcan

    c_bcan Guest

    thanks for your help i've got a realtek rtl8180 and a tl-wn250, i'm not
    using a router, i want to share files and an internet conection.

    c_bcan, Mar 12, 2005
  4. c_bcan

    DLink Guru Guest

    What Operating Systems and service packs are you using?

    The tl-wn250 is a 802.11b PCI card for a desktop. The rtl8180 just tells me
    what chipset you are using. Is this a wireless adapter or a Ethernet NIC?
    Also is this in a laptop or another desktop?

    If you are not going to use a router you must setup your wireless adapters
    for a AD-HOC network, not an infrastructer network. Are you using the client
    software or windows to configure your network adapters? Each adapter must be
    set for AD-HOC, using the same SSID, same authentication and same security
    settings before it can work. You can also tell them to ignore Infrastructure
    networks so those others will not showup on your available networks list.

    Robert...

    DLink Guru, Mar 12, 2005
  5. c_bcan

    c_bcan Guest

    thanks

    right both set to ad hock ssid set to pc, network address set to 10.170.20.1
    on one pc and 10.170.20.2 on the other

    both desktops, both using xp home one with all updates one with none (need
    to get this internet connection)

    the tl-wn250+ is a wireless lan pci adapter

    trying to use windows to config not there software

    c_bcan, Mar 13, 2005
  6. c_bcan

    DLink Guru Guest

    ok, so what does the wireless conection say in the system tray on both
    computers? Does it show you are connected?

    Robert...

    DLink Guru, Mar 13, 2005
  7. c_bcan

    c_bcan Guest

    no not unless I try and connect to abc123 or linksys, they will allow me to
    connect but will not send any data, obviously encrypted

    c_bcan, Mar 13, 2005
  8. c_bcan

    DLink Guru Guest

    What about the Subnet, what is it set for? Set it to something like
    255.255.255.0 on both machines. What about firewalls? Disable any that are
    running.

    DLink Guru, Mar 13, 2005
  9. c_bcan

    c_bcan Guest

    yes it is set to that and fire walls are off

    c_bcan, Mar 13, 2005
  10. c_bcan

    c_bcan Guest

    I seem to have them both connected to my network now called "bob" but they
    will only see themselves not each other both are transmitting but not
    receiving.

    c_bcan, Mar 13, 2005
  11. c_bcan

    c_bcan Guest

    ok I now have them sharing, I'm transferring a file that's 1.6 gig and its
    taking 100 mins is that normal? also I now need to set up the internet
    sharing.

    c_bcan, Mar 13, 2005
  12. c_bcan

    DLink Guru Guest

    That seems a bit slow, about 250KBs, There could be interferance and
    distance between computers will also be a factor, and antivirus programs
    will slow it down also.

    Now for internet sharing, run the wireless network wizard on the computers
    and set the computer connected to the internet to share its connection and
    set the other to connect through another computer.

    Robert...

    DLink Guru, Mar 13, 2005
  13. c_bcan

    c_bcan Guest

    The two pcs are in the same small room so distance isn't a factor, I notice
    its taking almost all of my system recourses to send this file cpu`s at 98%,
    I'll try the internet sharing wizard.

    Thanks

    c_bcan, Mar 13, 2005
  14. c_bcan

    c_bcan Guest

    Right I now have internet as well thanks for all your help

    c_bcan, Mar 13, 2005
  15. c_bcan

    DLink Guru Guest

    Glad to be of assistance.......