Re: Network Setup Wizard

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Pavel A., Jun 19, 2004.

  1. Pavel A.

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Kevin" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I have a laptop with Windows XP Home. It has integrated wireless and an
    > ethernet port. I have a D-Link wireless router. Both the wireless
    > connection, and the etherlink port work well. Two other computers in my
    > house are part of our home network. I enabled file sharing, and I am able to
    > share files between computers.
    >
    > If I run the Network Setup Wizard, which Windows says is recommended for
    > security, Windows creates a "bridge" in My Network Connections, and then
    > neither the wireless or the etherlink port will work. If I delete the
    > "bridge", they both work again. I am not selecting the option in the Wizard
    > of "connecting directly to the internet" since I am using the D-Link router.
    > What's going on here? Do I have some kind of security risk because I can't
    > run the Wizard? What is a "bridge" for in my case?

    In your case, a "bridge" is a fake "software" netcard created by Windows.
    It is forwarding network packets between two real ethernet adapters.
    Many wireless (802.11) cards are not capable to work in this mode, though Windows may think they are ethernet.
    So, simple brigding does not work on them, and you need to use other options like ICS:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/internetgateway.htm

    --PA

    Pavel A., Jun 19, 2004