Re: Network router not showing up in Device Manager

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Alister, Dec 13, 2008.

  1. Alister

    Alister Guest

    On Dec 13, 2:27 pm, Betsy <> wrote:
    > Hi. I'm trying to fix up my husband's computer which is slow. He is
    > using XP. I wanted to update the router drivers and when I looked in
    > device manager, it shows 3 routers but none of them are the one we are
    > actually using. I asked to scan for new hardware and the result was nothing.
    >
    > Device manager shows the adapters are:
    > 6T04 Adapter
    > Atheros xxx
    > Realtek xxx (This is the old one)
    >
    > The one we are using now is a Netgear WG111v2 etc.
    >
    > On my computer (vista) I was able to see this router under network
    > adapters and could have updated the driver from there, or tried to, anyway.
    >
    > Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

    Hi,

    Firstly, can I correct your terminology :)

    What you are talking about are network adapters or Network Interface
    Cards (NIC) and not routers.
    A router is a specific name for a device that routes traffic through
    two or more interfaces.

    Your Netgear WG111v2 is a USB Network adapter.

    It is normally the case that when you install one of these you have to
    load the drivers onto the PC Before attaching the device. This is
    different to an internal network card, where you would install it
    physically first and then allow Windows
    to find it and ask for the drivers.

    So, my first question is, have you installed the drivers which came
    with the device onto your XP machine?

    If not then install the drivers first.

    If you have, then remove the device, reboot the PC and then, when the
    PC has completed booting, plug in the
    Netgear WG111 and see if the PC picks it up.

    HTH

    Alister.

    Alister, Dec 13, 2008