Re: Network design question?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Larry, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. Larry

    Larry Guest

    As far as FR is concerned. How large can these scale, how much bandwidth can
    I expect from FR's? Can they be bound together?

    Thx, Larry
    "Hansang Bae" <> wrote in message
    > In article <mxD8c.310380$>, lgovedi1
    > @tampabay.rr.com says...
    > > I will be involved in the merger of two company's. As part of this

    merger we
    > > will need to bring together two networks. This is what my question is

    around
    > > the sub interfaces on the routers. Are the subinterfaces designed for

    dlci
    > > related frame clouds?

    > It can be used for other things, but yes, one of the more common uses of
    > subinterfaces on serial connections are for FR connections.
    >

    > > Also, some of the links are frame relay on one end,
    > > into the carrier then interfaces (internally) to an ATM. Can this be

    done

    Larry, Apr 2, 2004

  2. Larry

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <Q6cbc.4446$>, res0jhe3
    @verizon.net says...
    > As far as FR is concerned. How large can these scale, how much bandwidth can
    > I expect from FR's? Can they be bound together?

    It can scale as large as your port speed. We typically use FR up to DS3
    speeds (28 branches running DS1 to one DS3). We used to oversubscribe
    them in the past (up to 160%) but we don't do this any longer. Also, so
    many carriers are providing distance insensitive point-to-point T1s that
    we're starting to move away from FR.

    You don't really want to bond FR circuits because latency factor can
    vary greatly.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Apr 2, 2004