    to support Actiontec wireless router.
    How can I get my networked pc's - which are not wireless,
    to share data again?

    JumboShrimps, Jan 19, 2008

  2. JumboShrimps

    Lem Guest

    JumboShrimps wrote:
    > Networked computers were hard wired through Linksys router.
    > After FIOS install I can't see the
    > other computers 'cause ip addresses were changed by Verizon
    > to support Actiontec wireless router.
    > How can I get my networked pc's - which are not wireless,
    > to share data again?

    If I had to guess -- and I do, because you've told us next to nothing
    about your computers and your network -- I'd say that you have
    third-party (Norton, McAfee, etc.) firewalls and/or "security suites"
    running on your computers and need to reconfigure these firewalls to
    permit the new range of IP addresses to be trusted.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jan 19, 2008

  3. Hi
    If the Verizon Router is now part of the system the Linksys has to added as
    an Access Point.
    Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    If you want to remove the Verizon Hardware you have to find from them what
    are the authentication (ID & Password) variables and their compatibility
    with the Linksys Router.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 19, 2008
  4. JumboShrimps

    JumboShrimps Guest

    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much thinking.
    I had two pc's cabled together through a linksys hub.
    Now I have a verizon wirelss router with four ports to plug in my
    existing cat 5 from the computers on my network.
    All computers can see the Internet, but cannot see each other.

    OF COURSE I have the authentication password and ID from verizon -
    they
    gave it to me.

    How do I share data between computers now that I have the Verizon
    router?
    Do I have to add an additional network card to each computer and start
    a second network?

    Verizon will not answer any questions about home networks -
    essentially they trashed my
    network and said, "sux being you".

    JumboShrimps, Jan 19, 2008
  5. Hi
    If your computers are connected to the Verizon devise and are capable to
    share the Internet they can also share their own resources.
    All you have to do is to configure the Sharing. There is No need for second
    cards or another Router.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 19, 2008
  6. JumboShrimps

    Jim Guest

    <> wrote:
    > Hi
    > If the Verizon Router is now part of the system the Linksys has to added
    > as
    > an Access Point.
    > Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    > If you want to remove the Verizon Hardware you have to find from them what
    > are the authentication (ID & Password) variables and their compatibility
    > with the Linksys Router.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "JumboShrimps" <> wrote in message

    > > Networked computers were hard wired through Linksys router.
    > > After FIOS install I can't see the
    > > other computers 'cause ip addresses were changed by Verizon
    > > to support Actiontec wireless router.
    > > How can I get my networked pc's - which are not wireless,
    > > to share data again?- Hide quoted text -

    Something, usually a firewall, is block ICMP packets. The evidence is that
    your computers cannot see each other. Can each computer ping itself?

    Do not proceed further until you have solved this situation.

    You share data by creating a share of a folder on one computer. Then you
    enable use of the folder by creating a shared resource. I usually setup
    share via the "net share" command through cmd.exe. I setup the connection
    via the "net use" command through cmd.exe.

    You can find out more by visiting the websites of MVP Jack or MVP Chuck.

    Jim

    Jim, Jan 19, 2008
  7. JumboShrimps

    Lem Guest

    JumboShrimps wrote:
    > Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much thinking.
    > I had two pc's cabled together through a linksys hub.
    > Now I have a verizon wirelss router with four ports to plug in my
    > existing cat 5 from the computers on my network.
    > All computers can see the Internet, but cannot see each other.
    >
    > OF COURSE I have the authentication password and ID from verizon -
    > they
    > gave it to me.
    >

    > How do I share data between computers now that I have the Verizon
    > router?
    > Do I have to add an additional network card to each computer and start
    > a second network?
    >
    > Verizon will not answer any questions about home networks -
    > essentially they trashed my
    > network and said, "sux being you".
    >

    > On Jan 19, 1:08 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    > <> wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> If the Verizon Router is now part of the system the Linksys has to added as
    >> an Access Point.
    >> Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    >> If you want to remove the Verizon Hardware you have to find from them what
    >> are the authentication (ID & Password) variables and their compatibility
    >> with the Linksys Router.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "JumboShrimps" <> wrote in message

    >>> Networked computers were hard wired through Linksys router.
    >>> After FIOS install I can't see the
    >>> other computers 'cause ip addresses were changed by Verizon
    >>> to support Actiontec wireless router.
    >>> How can I get my networked pc's - which are not wireless,
    >>> to share data again?- Hide quoted text -

    No, you don't have to get any more network cards.

    Assuming that your network cards obtain their IP addresses automatically
    from the DHCP server in the router (i.e., the default setting), your
    original Linksys assigned IPs in the subnet 192.168.1.x. The new
    Actiontek has assigned IPs in the subnet 192.168.0.x.

    If you have any sort of firewall installed in your computers, you
    probably made things work originally by configuring them to allow
    192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.255 as "trusted" or "allowed." Because
    you're not using those addresses anymore, the firewalls are blocking
    things. Reconfigure the firewalls.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jan 20, 2008
  8. JumboShrimps

    JumboShrimps Guest

    I can ping each computer from each other (I checked that first),
    so it seems like I'm 90% there.

    Zone Alarm is allowing Verizon as a trusted internet source,
    there are no other networks visible (old network was wiped
    out by Verzion routher) to Zone Alarm.
    The previous Linksys router was a simple $20 CAT5 router,
    it did not, nor could not, assign anything.
    I assinged the old network addresses,
    only one computer (all are WIN2K)
    was connected to the internet through a modem,
    all the other computers
    accessed the intenet through that one computer via TCP/IP.
    The Verizon router is now assigning tcp addresses through DNS.

    JumboShrimps, Jan 20, 2008
  9. JumboShrimps

    Lem Guest

    JumboShrimps wrote:
    > I can ping each computer from each other (I checked that first),
    > so it seems like I'm 90% there.
    >
    > Zone Alarm is allowing Verizon as a trusted internet source,
    > there are no other networks visible (old network was wiped
    > out by Verzion routher) to Zone Alarm.
    > The previous Linksys router was a simple $20 CAT5 router,
    > it did not, nor could not, assign anything.
    > I assinged the old network addresses,
    > only one computer (all are WIN2K)
    > was connected to the internet through a modem,
    > all the other computers
    > accessed the intenet through that one computer via TCP/IP.
    > The Verizon router is now assigning tcp addresses through DNS.

    You're using network terminology, but not in a way that makes any sense.
    Please add some information --

    Are all of your computers are connected by Eithernet cable to an
    Actiontek router?

    Other than physically changing the router and physically changing where
    the Ethernet cables are connected, what else was changed following the
    changeover? For example, you initially wrote that all of your "ip
    addresses were changed by Verizon." What were they before (when you
    assigned them) and what are they now?

    Are all of your computers are running Win2K?

    Is ZoneAlarm firewall installed an *each* computer?

    *How* is "Zone Alarm is allowing Verizon as a trusted internet source"
    implemented? That is, what did you do to make this so?

    On each computer, open a command prompt and run "ipconfig /all" without
    quotes. Paste the results.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jan 20, 2008
  10. JumboShrimps

    Jim Guest

    "Lem" <> wrote in message
    > JumboShrimps wrote:
    >> I can ping each computer from each other (I checked that first),
    >> so it seems like I'm 90% there.
    >>
    >> Zone Alarm is allowing Verizon as a trusted internet source,
    >> there are no other networks visible (old network was wiped
    >> out by Verzion routher) to Zone Alarm.
    >> The previous Linksys router was a simple $20 CAT5 router,
    >> it did not, nor could not, assign anything.
    >> I assinged the old network addresses,
    >> only one computer (all are WIN2K)
    >> was connected to the internet through a modem,
    >> all the other computers
    >> accessed the intenet through that one computer via TCP/IP.
    >> The Verizon router is now assigning tcp addresses through DNS.
    >>

    > You're using network terminology, but not in a way that makes any sense.
    > Please add some information --
    >
    > Are all of your computers are connected by Eithernet cable to an Actiontek
    > router?
    >
    > Other than physically changing the router and physically changing where
    > the Ethernet cables are connected, what else was changed following the
    > changeover? For example, you initially wrote that all of your "ip
    > addresses were changed by Verizon." What were they before (when you
    > assigned them) and what are they now?
    >
    > Are all of your computers are running Win2K?
    >
    > Is ZoneAlarm firewall installed an *each* computer?
    >
    > *How* is "Zone Alarm is allowing Verizon as a trusted internet source"
    > implemented? That is, what did you do to make this so?

    Perhaps what he means is that he entered Verison in the the trusted zone.
    Does that term include the dns servers as well?

    > On each computer, open a command prompt and run "ipconfig /all" without
    > quotes. Paste the results.
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    I don't see where you set ZA to pass ICMP packets, but if you can ping each
    computer from each of the others, you must have.
    Yes, it would be helpful to see ipconfig/all for each computer.
    Jim

    Jim, Jan 20, 2008
  11. JumboShrimps

    JumboShrimps Guest

    Thanx for the help far.
    Here's IPCONFIG
    - I was emailed by someone in this thread to change the settings to
    below: - at least I THINK I did made the right changes.
    1st PC:
    Windows 2000 IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : <hidden>
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139(A)-based PCI Fast
    Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-B5-43-2D-65
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    208.67.220.220

    2nd PC:
    PC with usb cable attached to Actiontec Router from Verizon:

    Windows 2000 IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : <masked>
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter {2AC7CFFC-B967-4C85-AEAA-214E53C52C8A}:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft RNDIS virtual adapter
    miniport.
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 80-A6-05-14-11-B6
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 20, 2008 6:52:56
    PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, February 19, 2008
    6:52:56 PM

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139(A)-based PCI Fast
    Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-B5-6E-30-5E
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    208.67.220.220

    ZoneAlarm automatically prompts you when a new network is detected.
    Both computers are running ZoneAlarm and have allowed all IP
    Addresses
    from 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.10 trusted access.

    With these changes I no longer get a response when I ping one PC from
    another.

    JumboShrimps, Jan 20, 2008
  12. JumboShrimps

    Jim Guest

> [...]

    >> Actiontek router?
    >>
    >> Other than physically changing the router and physically changing where
    >> the Ethernet cables are connected, what else was changed following the
    >> changeover? For example, you initially wrote that all of your "ip
    >> addresses were changed by Verizon." What were they before (when you
    >> assigned them) and what are they now?
    >>
    >> Are all of your computers are running Win2K?
    >>
    >> Is ZoneAlarm firewall installed an *each* computer?
    >>
    >> *How* is "Zone Alarm is allowing Verizon as a trusted internet source"
    >> implemented? That is, what did you do to make this so?
    >>
    >> On each computer, open a command prompt and run "ipconfig /all" without
    >> quotes. Paste the results.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of

    Why do you have two routers with two subnets?
    Jim

    Jim, Jan 21, 2008
  13. JumboShrimps

    Lem Guest

    JumboShrimps wrote:
    > Thanx for the help far.
    > Here's IPCONFIG
    > - I was emailed by someone in this thread to change the settings to
    > below: - at least I THINK I did made the right changes.
    > 1st PC:
    > Windows 2000 IP Configuration
    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : <hidden>
    > Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139(A)-based PCI Fast
    > Ethernet Adapter
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-B5-43-2D-65
    > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    > 208.67.220.220
    >
    > 2nd PC:
    > PC with usb cable attached to Actiontec Router from Verizon:
    >
    > Windows 2000 IP Configuration
    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : <masked>
    > Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    >
    > Ethernet adapter {2AC7CFFC-B967-4C85-AEAA-214E53C52C8A}:
    >
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft RNDIS virtual adapter
    > miniport.
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 80-A6-05-14-11-B6
    > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.2.18
    > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
    > Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 20, 2008 6:52:56
    > PM
    > Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, February 19, 2008
    > 6:52:56 PM
    >
    > Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    >
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139(A)-based PCI Fast
    > Ethernet Adapter
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-B5-6E-30-5E
    > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    > 208.67.220.220
    >

    > ZoneAlarm automatically prompts you when a new network is detected.
    > Both computers are running ZoneAlarm and have allowed all IP
    > Addresses
    > from 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.10 trusted access.
    >
    > With these changes I no longer get a response when I ping one PC from
    > another.

    Is there some reason that you connected the Actiontec to PC2 using USB
    instead of Ethernet (other than that's how Verizon did it)? [BTW, what
    model router do you have? According to the Verizon FiOS info page I
    found (http://tinyurl.com/2y8u73), the only Verizon Actiontec wireless
    router is the MI424WR, which has no USB connection).]

    Is there anything connected to the Ethernet NIC in PC2?

    Similarly, why are you using static (manually set) IP addresses? If the
    Actiontec is using 192.168.1.x (as the manual at the linked page says),
    then the IPs you set ought to be OK, but if you had set the computers to
    "obtain an IP address automatically," you wouldn't have to worry that
    your router might be in a different subnet.

    Try disconnecting the USB cable between the Actiontec and PC2 and
    instead use [only] an Ethernet cable to connect PC2 to the router.
    Reboot.
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jan 21, 2008
  14. JumboShrimps

    JumboShrimps Guest

    I did not have statically assinged IP addresses,
    Verizon technician set both PC's up to have
    an IP addresss assigned automatically.
    After posting my problem on this user group,
    one of you sent me an email to assign the addresses
    you see as the output of ipconfig /all.

    When I click on My Network Places and then
    Computers Near Me, I don't see the other computer anymore.

    JumboShrimps, Jan 22, 2008
  15. JumboShrimps

    Lem Guest

    JumboShrimps wrote:
> [...]

    >> Is there some reason that you connected the Actiontec to PC2 using USB
    >> instead of Ethernet (other than that's how Verizon did it)? [BTW, what
    >> model router do you have? According to the Verizon FiOS info page I
    >> found (http://tinyurl.com/2y8u73), the only Verizon Actiontec wireless
    >> router is the MI424WR, which has no USB connection).]
    >>
    >> Is there anything connected to the Ethernet NIC in PC2?
    >>
    >> Similarly, why are you using static (manually set) IP addresses? If the
    >> Actiontec is using 192.168.1.x (as the manual at the linked page says),
    >> then the IPs you set ought to be OK, but if you had set the computers to
    >> "obtain an IP address automatically," you wouldn't have to worry that
    >> your router might be in a different subnet.
    >>
    >> Try disconnecting the USB cable between the Actiontec and PC2 and
    >> instead use [only] an Ethernet cable to connect PC2 to the router.

    What about the other questions I asked?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jan 22, 2008
  16. JumboShrimps

    JumboShrimps Guest

    I don't know why I have two
    routers with two subnets - that's how the Verizon technician set it up
    -
    and Verizon is no longer taking my calls.

    I do have the Actiontec MI424WR,
    but there is no USB connection.

    Signed,

    Stumped.

    JumboShrimps, Jan 23, 2008
  17. JumboShrimps

    Lem Guest

    JumboShrimps wrote:
    > I don't know why I have two
    > routers with two subnets - that's how the Verizon technician set it up
    > -
    > and Verizon is no longer taking my calls.
    >
    > I do have the Actiontec MI424WR,
    > but there is no USB connection.
    >
    > Signed,
    >
    > Stumped.

    I don't know why "Jim" asked "Why do you have two routers with two
    subnets?" As near as I can tell from what you've written, you have only
    one router, the Actiontec MI424WR. You *used* to have a Linksys router,
    but you are no longer using that. Is that correct?

    Today you say "there is no USB connection." But on 1/20, you prefaced
    the listing for the ipconfig /all output from your 2nd PC with the
    statement:
    "PC with usb cable attached to Actiontec Router from Verizon"

    Furthermore, the ipconfig information for the 2nd PC indicates a USB
    network connection (Microsoft RNDIS virtual adapter miniport).

    So what's going on? What is the USB cable attached to (at both ends)?

    You have to remember that no one reading this newsgroup can see your
    system and how things are connected. All we have to go on is what you
    write.

    This is what your configuration *should* look like.

    1. Cable from the FiOS Optical Network Terminal --> Actiontec MI424WR router

    2. Actiontec router --> Ethernet cable to PC #1

    3. Actiontec router --> Ethernet cable to PC #2

    4. That's it. No USB connections from either computer to *anything.*

    If those 4 statements don't describe how your computers are connected,
    please explain.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jan 23, 2008