Re: Network Client Disk

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Diana K Brown, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. There is no NETWORK CLENT DISK for WINDOWS 2000 versions immediately
    available. But I am currently working on the same project here. I did a
    google search for network boot disk and put together several articles I
    found and then tracked down the tools to make it.
    Here are a couple of MS KB articles for some help: 142857, 128800, and here
    are some websites:
    a.. MyBootDisks.com
    b.. BootDisk.com
    c.. Startdisk
    d.. Qual-IT
    e.. Netboot CD
    f.. BovisTech
    g.. Bart’s Boot Disks on NU2
    Here is an article I found on TechRepublic too:
    Create a TCP/IP boot disk for installing Win2K/XP over the network

    Oct 15, 2002

    Allen V. Rouse MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

    When you study for the Windows 2000 MCSE exams, you will find that Microsoft
    places strong emphasis on the importance of knowing how to install operating
    systems over the network. One of the most common ways to accomplish this is
    by booting a system with a network boot disk that uses the TCP/IP protocol
    to connect to your network. Once you have connected to the network, you can
    access a network share that has the Windows 2000/XP installation files and
    install Win2K or XP on the computer. But even though Microsoft emphasizes
    this method on the MCSE exams—and despite its obvious advantages—very little
    information is actually available on how to create such a disk.

    To help you capitalize on this useful technique, I'm going to explain how to
    create a TCP/IP network boot disk. I will discuss what is normally found on
    a floppy disk that will boot to the network, how to use the Windows NT
    Network Client Administrator to create the disk, and how to modify the disk
    with information specific to your network.

    Basic features
    The basic components of a TCP/IP network boot disk include the following:

    DOS boot files (Command.com, Io.sys, Msdos.sys)

    NIC DOS (real mode) driver (e.g., E100b.dos for the Intel NICs)

    TCP/IP DOS drivers (Tcpdrv.dos)

    A DOS binding utility (Netbind.exe)

    A network utility (Net.exe)

    DOS memory management drivers (Himem.sys)

    Configuration files (Autoexec.bat, Config.sys, Protocol.ini,
    System.ini)

    Using the Windows NT Network Client Administrator
    You could, of course, assemble all the necessary files and copy them to a
    floppy disk. However, you will find it far easier to use the Network Client
    Administrator utility. This utility will create a network boot disk based on
    your answers in some simple dialog boxes.

    Unfortunately, the utility is old and hasn't been updated by Microsoft, so
    it does not contain current NIC drivers. As a result, you will have to
    manually modify the disk after running the utility. In addition, you will
    need to make other modifications to the configuration files, such as the
    location and name of the share point, to accommodate the specifics of the
    network you want to attach to.

    Finally, you will find that even when perfectly configured, the disk
    probably won't work correctly because of insufficient memory. To get around
    this, you will have to add DOS memory management capabilities. In spite of
    all this tweaking, using the Network Client Administrator utility is still
    more efficient than starting from scratch.

    The Network Client Administrator utility is not available on the Win2K or XP
    CD, but you can get it from a Windows NT 4.0 Server CD. Microsoft document
    Q252448 provides instructions for using the utility with Windows 2000, which
    involves the following steps:

    1. Create a folder called C:\Ncadmin.

    2. Copy the following files from the I386 folder on the Windows NT
    Server 4.0 CD to the folder you created:

    Ncadmin.cn_

    Ncadmin.ex_

    Ncadmin.hl_

    3. At a command prompt, change to the C:\Ncadmin folder and then
    type the following command:

    expand -r ncadmin.*

    4. After all the files are expanded, double-click Ncadmin.exe and
    then follow the instructions for creating a Network Installation Startup
    Disk. The utility will present a list and ask you to choose the type of NIC
    you are using. As I mentioned, this list is old, so you will have to choose
    a NIC from the list and plan on modifying the disk later.

    For the purposes of this example, I will use the Intel 10/100 Pro NIC, which
    uses a real mode driver named e100b.dos. Since the Intel 10/100 Pro NIC is
    not one of the choices in the Network Client Administrator, I chose the
    Intel 10mbps 16-bit NIC. That NIC uses a driver named exp16.dos.

    You'll also be asked to choose whether the startup disk will use DHCP or a
    static address and to specify the client you want to use. Select Network
    Client v3.0 for DOS and Windows. In addition, you'll be asked to enter a
    computer name for the client to use, a user ID, and a domain.

    An inspection of the contents of the newly created disk will show that the
    root of the disk contains the normal startup files, with Autoexec.bat and a
    Config.sys, along with a subdirectory called NET. The NET subdirectory
    contains the NIC driver, TCP/IP driver, Net.exe, Netbind.exe, various other
    files, and two important configuration files—Protocol.ini and System.ini.

    The root directory of the newly created disk will contain the files shown in
    Listing A, in addition to the hidden files Io.sys and Msdos.sys.

    The NET subdirectory of the disk will contain the files shown in Listing B.

    Modifying the boot disk
    Now that you have created the basic disk, you will need to make several
    modifications.

    The Intel Ethernet 10/100 Pro and 10/100 Management NICs both use a
    different DOS driver from the one installed by the Network Client
    Administrator. The Network Client Administrator installed the driver
    exp16.dos. To correct this, I obtained the file e100b.dos from the Intel
    driver disk. I removed the exp16.dos file in the NET directory and replaced
    it with the e100b.dos file. If you are using a different NIC, you will need
    to obtain the correct driver from the manufacturer or one of several Web
    sites that have drivers available for download, such as DriverGuide.com.

    In addition to the driver file in the NET directory, there are references to
    the exp16 driver in several locations in the configuration files
    Protocol.ini and System.ini. You'll need to replace these with the correct
    references. You should modify Protocol.ini and System.ini as shown below.

    Protocol.ini [Network.setup]version=0x3110Netcard=ms$ee16,1,MS$EE16,1 (Note:
    Replace with
    ms$e100b,1,MS$E100B,1)transport=tcpip,TCPIPlana0=ms$ee16,1,tcpip (Note:
    Replace with ms$e100b) [ms$ee16] (Note: Replace with
    ms$e100b)drivername=EXP16$ (Note: Replace with e100b$); IRQ=3;
    IOADDRESS=0x310; IOCHRDY=Late; TRANSCEIVER=Thin Net (BNC/COAX)
    [protman]drivername=PROTMAN$PRIORITY=MS$NDISHLP
    [tcpip]NBSessions=6DefaultGateway0=SubNetMask0=IPAddress0=DisableDHCP=0Drive
    rName=TCPIP$BINDINGS=ms$16 (Note: Replace with ms$e100b)LANABASE=0

    System.ini
    [network]filesharing=noprintsharing=noautologon=yescomputername=ST1lanroot=A
    :\NETusername=Administratorworkgroup=LABreconnect=nodospophotkey=Nlmlogon=0l
    ogondomain=LABpreferredredir=fullautostart=fullmaxconnections=8 [network
    drivers]netcard=exp16.dos (Note: Change to
    e100b.dos)transport=tcpdrv.dos,nemm.dosdevdir=A:\NETLoadRMDrivers=yes
    [Password Lists]

    Autoexec.bat file

    The default Autoexec.bat created by the Network Client Administrator looks
    like this:

    path=a:\net

    a:\net\net initialize

    a:\net\netbind.com

    a:\net\umb.com

    a:\net\tcptsr.exe

    a:\net\tinyrfc.exe

    a:\net\nmtsr.exe

    a:\net\emsbfr.exe

    a:\net\net start

    net use z: \\SERVER1\Clients

    echo Running Setup...

    z:\msclient\netsetup\setup.exe /$

    You will need to modify the last few lines to suit your own purposes. The
    net use command should map a drive to the share where setup files are
    located (e.g., a drive containing the Windows 2000 Professional setup
    files). The last two lines are not useful and should be deleted. You can add
    any additional lines

    you want, such as the winnt command with appropriate parameters.

    Adding memory management
    Finally, with all the modifications, you will probably find that when you
    get to the net start command in the Autoexec.bat, an “Insufficient memory”
    error message will occur. To correct this, you will need to obtain a copy of
    the DOS memory driver HIMEM.SYS (from a Windows 98 disk, for example) and
    copy it to the root of the startup disk. Having done that, add the following
    two lines to the Config.sys file:

    DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS

    DOS=HIGH,UMB

    Summary
    After you create and modify your disk, you may have several false starts as
    you test it. Carefully scrutinize every line in the configuration files and
    Autoexec.bat. Make sure that you have the correct real mode driver for your
    NIC, the correct UNC path for the share you want to connect to, and so
    forth. Once you have a network boot disk that functions correctly, make
    copies of it so you don’t have to start all over again if something happens
    to your disk. I recommend copying the entire contents to a file share, where
    it can be backed up regularly.

    If you find yourself in a mass deployment of Windows, the effort you've put
    in here will be well worth it. This boot disk allows you to boot a system,
    connect to a network share, and install Windows over the network. And it
    saves you the hassle of having to carry around a bunch of CDs every time you
    install a system.

    Copyright ©1995- 2002 CNET Networks, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

    Visit us at www.TechRepublic.com

    "mohpop" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > i want immediatly a NETWORK CLENT DISK for WINDOWS 2000 versions... how

    can

    Diana K Brown, Jul 31, 2003